Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 12, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #4,562 of 4,790
First off I think you're asking wrong forum... but with that said I would say that the DT 1990 has better base extension, and more treble giving it better imaging... Also I don't understand why there is a 1k bump on the focal clear (that I really hate, especially for metal) it makes vocals come across kinda nisally. Where the vocals on the DT1990 sound the same as the HD650 (the king of vocals ).

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #4,563 of 4,790
First off I think you're asking wrong forum... but with that said I would say that the DT 1990 has better base extension, and more treble giving it better imaging... Also I don't understand why there is a 1k bump on the focal clear (that I really hate, especially for metal) it makes vocals come across kinda nisally. Where the vocals on the DT1990 sound the same as the HD650 (the king of vocals ).
thanks

Jun 12, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #4,565 of 4,790
beautiful headphone the dt 1990, i adapted to its sound signature, it will be brilliant but at least for me it doesn't tire my listening, do you think covering 12 holes on the balanced pad with tape can decrease the bass and bring the balanced pad closer to the analytic like sound?

take duct tape and try this
if it doesn’t work you cam ypu do it

take thw balanced pads and only expose 8 holes open.
that’s it’s.

tell me how it sounds

the DT1990 is an amazing headphone for whatever price.

try it. If you don’t like it, easily reversible

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #4,566 of 4,790
I really like the dt 1990 with analytical pads and I don't need to equalize the highs, just to discuss .... I don't understand why they talk about it on the net sometimes very badly because of its peak, while the focal clear for example which costs 3 more times we don't talk about sibilants and its peak, will it be marketing?

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #4,567 of 4,790
I really like the dt 1990 with analytical pads and I don't need to equalize the highs, just to discuss .... I don't understand why they talk about it on the net sometimes very badly because of its peak, while the focal clear for example which costs 3 more times we don't talk about sibilants and its peak, will it be marketing?
Well, you will end up really going down a rabbit hole with this one. It's not talked about much because it's something that is very subjective, and everything about headphones is, of course, subjective... Right?

Anyway... We are talking about two different tunings, really. One is diffuse field, and the second is free field.

Beyerdynamic headphones are tuned to a diffuse-field sound signature. Basically, they are tuned to sound as a speaker would in an echo chamber (a very bare room), whereas free field headphones, like HD600, HD650, Focal Clear, and so on, simulate how a speaker would sound in an anechoic chamber. "Free field headphones" come closer to what you can expect in a home speaker setup when the speakers are set up in a room with a lot of room treatment.

When mixing music or anything else, headphones have their place since they try to emulate a good speaker setup. You really need both to make sure the music sounds good in all conditions.

But what you prefer, that's another story and completely subjective. One is not better than the other.

Jun 13, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #4,569 of 4,790
That would be interesting to know but without relevant measurements it's hard to say.
Sonarworks claimes Beyerdynamic has a high production consistency and they measured plenty. They don't say what this means in numbers though.
One of the problem with measurements is that a real human head is pretty warm and the foam on earpads reacts to temperature. 2 or 3mm more compression can make a few db difference here and there.

Furthermore headphones wear in and loose some of their initial aggressiveness after some hours.

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #4,571 of 4,790
after many tests with pads and stickers i came to the conclusion that i "think" the dt 1990 has a better sound with simple analytic pads, i noticed a treble distortion on the left side, is this normal or is the headphone prone to treble distortion?

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #4,572 of 4,790
after many tests with pads and stickers i came to the conclusion that i "think" the dt 1990 has a better sound with simple analytic pads, i noticed a treble distortion on the left side, is this normal or is the headphone prone to treble distortion?

did you try my mod with Duct tape?

it’s a few posts back.

do it on the balanced pads.

keep only 8 holes open as opposed to 4 on the analytical pads.
sounds amazing.

tell me how it works out for you

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #4,573 of 4,790
I'm pretty sure this distortion coming from one driver is not normal. I had similar issue just weeks after I bought them. Naturally, I wasn't very enthusiastic about sending new headphones back, but beyer recommended me sending them in for repair.

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #4,575 of 4,790
I took the dt 1990 as new without warranty for 310 euros, but the problem hasn't reoccurred, let's hope for the best.
Are there examples of dt 1990 that are less sibilant than the others in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back