Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 12, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #4,171 of 4,772
For metal music, it’s hard to beat the Abyss TC’s. I know they are infinitely more than the DT-1990’s, but metal just sounds ridiculously great on them. I also have the Z1R’s. They still are my favorite closed headphone to date. I’ve had them for 4 years and counting.
Yes, I was referring to your Abyss with my first post here: "Time to head-bang again with a "no weird thing" on your head"

Yes, that was difficult :wink: , because I didn't know if you remember that once you said to me that the 1990 Pros is a good entry level for metal genres, but you prefer your Abyss for that. :beerchug: And, of course, the weird thing is the Abyss :relieved:

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #4,172 of 4,772
Yes, I was referring to your Abyss with my first post here: "Time to head-bang again with a "no weird thing" on your head"

Yes, that was difficult :wink: , because I didn't know if you remember that once you said to me that the 1990 Pros is a good entry level for metal genres, but you prefer your Abyss for that. :beerchug: And, of course, the weird thing is the Abyss :relieved:
Haha, the Abyss are the most unconventional headphone I own in fit and sound. There aren’t any headphones out at the moment that can they can do. For the DT-1990‘s to be able to offer sound quality that’s competitive to headphones like this says a lot them.

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #4,173 of 4,772
Okay guys. I just got these. Clamps like a mother****er! (Im coming from akg k712 pro that has no clamp) Love the sound, so i wanna keep them.

I want to bend them, CAN I BEND THEM SAFELY? Is the headband all metal under the padding? It wont break if I bend it with force?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #4,174 of 4,772
Okay guys. I just got these. Clamps like a mother****er! (Im coming from akg k712 pro that has no clamp) Love the sound, so i wanna keep them.

I want to bend them, CAN I BEND THEM SAFELY? Is the headband all metal under the padding? It wont break if I bend it with force?
Just clamp them over the box the came with for a few days while not using them

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #4,177 of 4,772
I had the Elite Velours on these, I got 5 pads including 3 ZMF pads from @tdx ... first tried the hybrids and they were already an upgrade, then went for the fenestrateds! Have never heard the DT1990 be so clear, obviously it has very forward details but there is usually a bit of muddiness at some frequency or another as you change pads, the Hybrids definitely had more sub-bass feel or rumble transferring to your head but with ZMF universal fenestrated the entire 20hz-20khz is super clear!!! I can also hear the sub bass insanely detailed and although they need to be turned way up to like rattle volume to get as good bass feel as the ZMF universal Hybrids I can hear the texture amazingly clear, both Drake Mob Ties and Upset which have almost purposely clipped bass with very odd texture can hear plain as day, and voices and mid range come thru crystal clear with no sharp treble.... I am getting HD800 today and the HD800 cable tomorrow, so obviously it probably won't be beating that but the ZMF Universal Fenestrated sound amazing! Look handsome, and feel great (note they go over the entire cup, not in the usual part to put in, but over it) and the hole is much bigger, and since they have a bit of taper fit better and you feel less of the hard clamp from their softness.... they are just far surpassed the Elite Velours and the other ones I had the Dekoni Hybrids and even the B pads it's not even close these are crystal clear...... Now my DT1990 rivals my Ananda for mid range vocal clarity

EDIT- as I continue to listen I will admit it does lessen the soundstage by quite a bit but I would argue it makes imaging better and regardless of the DT1990 losing it's huuuge soundstage the payoff that has to come as added clarity everywhere and detail and a bit of resolution having a DT1990 with maybe around 70% the soundstage area is a very very amazing DT1990 and I am going to keep this insane tradeoff....

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #4,178 of 4,772
Hey, does anyone from NA know a place to buy the stock analytical pads? They are my fav for providing the flattest FR and thus easier to EQ it to my taste but I can't find it on beyer's website, only the EU one but unfortunately they don't ship it overseas.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #4,179 of 4,772
Haha, the Abyss are the most unconventional headphone I own in fit and sound. There aren’t any headphones out at the moment that can they can do. For the DT-1990‘s to be able to offer sound quality that’s competitive to headphones like this says a lot them.
Do you still grab the 1990 Pros some times? Do you still consider them competitive with your other TOTLs? I love them because they are very versatile, I can listen to some metal and after that swap to Melody Gardot and they give me a pleasing experience with both :relaxed:

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #4,180 of 4,772
Do you still grab the 1990 Pros some times? Do you still consider them competitive with your other TOTLs? I love them because they are very versatile, I can listen to some metal and after that swap to Melody Gardot and they give me a pleasing experience with both :relaxed:
Absolutely I do. They are amazing headphones with amazing detail and clarity that plays in a league way above its price range. I'm glad I own them

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #4,181 of 4,772
Hey, does anyone from NA know a place to buy the stock analytical pads? They are my fav for providing the flattest FR and thus easier to EQ it to my taste but I can't find it on beyer's website, only the EU one but unfortunately they don't ship it overseas.
Get the part number from EU site, and contact Sales at Beyer NA. They can get them for you.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #4,182 of 4,772
Absolutely I do. They are amazing headphones with amazing detail and clarity that plays in a league way above its price range. I'm glad I own them
I have the HD800's AND my 1990's are modded to get rid of the warm veil and be super sterile and clean like the HD800's and I still won't sell them... They are still too capable, durable, and versatile for their price to get rid of them... I can throw on ZMF Hybrids, Suede's, or the other 4 or 5 pads that go well with them, and actually hear some bass, not to mention sometimes you want that smooth veil, and with the combo of HD800, DT1990, a bunch of pads, a smooth but detailed AMP and some super smooth laid back tubes I can go anywhere on my preference scale of insanely, detailed, accurate and competent but never sterile to completely bass heavy and supremely smooth and laid back and considering the variability the DT1990's bass hitting capability, another check mark for top tier punch and pretty dang decent sub outside of planars....

Basically the HD800 and DT1990 are both very good tools and amazing for their respective prices, but ultimately, despite one far surpassing the other in many of the things it focuses on and does good, and one being for work and the other for adding a bit of play into work, they will never be able to replace each others, not even close.... unless someone figured out how to add like almost 10dB to the bottom of the HD800 and lifted the rest of bass with it....(without completely messing it up, haha gottem!)

Jan 18, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #4,183 of 4,772
if you talk to BD and there is a wait I will match their price for my set which I can guarantee you I have tried, but never used for more than 2 minutes... hell if anyone wants balanced pads I barely used those too, threw on elite Velours as fast as I could. Other wish you luck but I cannot find any of the pads "Beyerdynamic EDT 1990 VA ear pads" anywhere outside of Europe with a quick look

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #4,184 of 4,772
I had the Elite Velours on these, I got 5 pads including 3 ZMF pads from @tdx ... first tried the hybrids and they were already an upgrade, then went for the fenestrateds! Have never heard the DT1990 be so clear, obviously it has very forward details but there is usually a bit of muddiness at some frequency or another as you change pads, the Hybrids definitely had more sub-bass feel or rumble transferring to your head but with ZMF universal fenestrated the entire 20hz-20khz is super clear!!! I can also hear the sub bass insanely detailed and although they need to be turned way up to like rattle volume to get as good bass feel as the ZMF universal Hybrids I can hear the texture amazingly clear, both Drake Mob Ties and Upset which have almost purposely clipped bass with very odd texture can hear plain as day, and voices and mid range come thru crystal clear with no sharp treble.... I am getting HD800 today and the HD800 cable tomorrow, so obviously it probably won't be beating that but the ZMF Universal Fenestrated sound amazing! Look handsome, and feel great (note they go over the entire cup, not in the usual part to put in, but over it) and the hole is much bigger, and since they have a bit of taper fit better and you feel less of the hard clamp from their softness.... they are just far surpassed the Elite Velours and the other ones I had the Dekoni Hybrids and even the B pads it's not even close these are crystal clear...... Now my DT1990 rivals my Ananda for mid range vocal clarity

EDIT- as I continue to listen I will admit it does lessen the soundstage by quite a bit but I would argue it makes imaging better and regardless of the DT1990 losing it's huuuge soundstage the payoff that has to come as added clarity everywhere and detail and a bit of resolution having a DT1990 with maybe around 70% the soundstage area is a very very amazing DT1990 and I am going to keep this insane tradeoff....
I’m big on very clear, sharp, sibilant, revealing treble, even on my “pleasure” HP. I just listen at slightly lower volumes than is typical for my favorite genres.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #4,185 of 4,772
I’m big on very clear, sharp, sibilant, revealing treble, even on my “pleasure” HP. I just listen at slightly lower volumes than is typical for my favorite genres.
sure, but like many things in headphones, there is fake revealing treble and real revealing... I would say the HD800 is a good example of revealing but with a spike, and the DT1990 is not even as revealing as the Sundara but has a lot of "fake detail" in the treble because of the spike, and the drop before it also.

Here is the graph I showed you
fr-dt990-old-vs-pro-vs-1990.png

Look where the spike is, 7k to 8k.

Then look at crinacle graph with balanced pads
DT1990-Pro-S2-Balanced-pads-1536x696.jpg

Same peak around 7-8k, but before that most of the treble is harman

I don't think many say the HD600's treble is revealing
HD600-S3-1536x696.jpg

But those are fresh pads,

now worn pads(note "worn-ish" padsfor some reason have less treble than both
HD600-1536x689.jpg

But it's pretty clear the HD600's treble isn't especially revealing but the lower treble is over harman and until the peak much higher than the 1990, the highes fr isn't as high but still well over harman with a peak that matches the height of 1990's other frequencies

but the proof does not end there, let's check out crinacle graph done the same way with A pads, before we do it's a generally accepted fact by most the A pads are called "harsher" and it's said they have more treble, which would equate with more revealing
I will put them together to make it easier
DT1990-Pro-S2-Analytical-pads-1536x696.jpg

DT1990-Pro-S2-Balanced-pads-1536x696.jpg

The A pads have less treble across most of the the high ranges except 2 places, 1 is the peak(and pre peak), the second is a little bit over 10k and that rolls off back to the same as B pads quickly... Infact you will note the b pads is set 1-2 db lower, and the lower mid range up to 5k is still beneath it! and the peak is still several db higher making the differences more extreme on both! Anyway if I had to look at the graphs without seeing exactly where the DB are or the grid I would think the B pads have more treble! infact even with the grid I think they do! lol Also for the part over 10k when you take 1-2db off the A pads as well to compensate for overall volume change at where he set his graph (400?) they are all but the same....

SO let's look at one more headphones graph
Pre-2020 rev sundara
Sundara-1536x689.jpg

even the 2020 rev
Sundara-2020-1536x696.jpg

it's over harman much for pre rev and even post rev compared to the A pads (excluding the spike area)... now everyone knows the 2020 is smother or better and the people complaining of some small sibiliance on the old unit are gone... but forgetting the graphs, anyone who has heard old sundara and the DT1990 with A pads.. or even B pads... it sounds like it has WAAAAY more treble (some people are good at finding spike, I literally listen to music on youtube on $1,200+ amp/dac and HD800 and just listen to music right away lol so not me, lets assume non expert listening)

But it really is that spike adding in sooo much sharpness you feel everytime the treble gets near the fr you feel like the mix is bad! Like your headphones have exposed the mix... but in this case the mix have actually exposed the headphones lol, that said even after you fix with velour the treble feels very good but it is a bit of almost "fake detail" I talked about with almost all pads some of the FR is murky and not clear, well most pads and all the ones I tried *except ZMF hybrit) the treble remains VERY VERY clear and quite grainy COMPARED to the mid and bass which switch around.... so there is a little bit of percieved advantage for the treble... but without the peak which I consider a defect not a good thing, and with the sound very clear you won't feel that is it bright... maybe slight V shape with more for the low end... But really unless using the defualt pad which I think is heavily flawed it won't feel so bright... and I would say with most pads that make mids or bass murky like 75% is the quality of the treble and the the headphones detail shining thru and about 25% is the huge delta between how clear the treble is and the murkiness maybe in the midrange and the bass and the fact it's a bit on the boomy side not tight side, since it's dynamic and they want upper bass punch extended heavy to feel the punch because the lower bass is also boosted but it cannot compete with planar for bass feel and deep lows.... If you are looking for bright/ neutral and very revealing treble then you can do 1990, but you might spend a lot of pads, or have to search a lot, you will be going against the grain most want for the 1990 to add bass because it is very good for dynamic punch and keeps detail elsewhere....

I would consider AKG 701... not many more around the price that are very good deal and bright neutral or bright.... and the DT 990 also have treble spike, many of the lower than DT1990 harman or bass boosted they sell to normal consumer who don't want bright... also Grado I guess but I don't like those

Really you find many of the around $1,000+ that perform very well technically use bright or bright neutral to boost perceived detail to compete... I would consider saving for a while and going for the Arya, many used ones are going for $1,000 or less and I know you will like it quite a lot I think :) and also get tight but amazing high tier planar bass, great mids, and very open neutralish sound

But if you go for Arya make sure to get V1 or V2, you don't wan't V3/stealth, besides new so cost more, no good used deals, it has more bass and I think little less treble! Good deals are on V1 and V2 Arya which has less base more neutral bright!

anyway just my 2 cents... I really think you want bright and unless you are ok with some fake detail for treble area and spike that I don't like, yeah be prepared to research to get the sound(boost treble and keep it clear and grainy but hopefully kill peak) and maybe spend extra $ or go for high tier... anyway hope something I said is helpful and you enjoy whatever you buy!

Here is AKG 701 graph
K701-1024x464.jpg

Arya
Arya-1024x459.jpg

and all beyerdynamic compatible pads on 1 graph...

P.S. not sure why the velour still show the peak... beyerdynamic messed up, so sorry it cannot show which one kill peak and none actually help treble... so technically the B pads have the most treble of all pads including A unless count the peak and ok make it bigger,,, even then total is probably still go to B or it is even
DT1990-AllPads-1024x556.png

Also Sundara but make sure to either buy where you know have pre-2020 pads or ask Hifiman if you can order pre 2020 pads is a good option!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back