Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 1, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,293 of 4,782
The Fulla 2 will be fine, the can just about be powered with a phone. But you could get something better down the line, as they liike good quality amplification.

I think Fulla 2 should be good. I've paired these two and they have good synergy along with more than enough power.

Thanks for the replies. That is good to know. I'm heavily considering buying these with a Fulla 2. I may end up going for the the Modi/Magni combo. But I really like the small form factor of the Fulla 2.

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,294 of 4,782
Thanks for the replies. That is good to know. I'm heavily considering buying these with a Fulla 2. I may end up going for the the Modi/Magni combo. But I really like the small form factor of the Fulla 2.

You should also consider XD-05. Battery powered, portable and more powerful than Fulla 2. Also sounds much better. And has replaceable opamps, I have 5 opamps on sockets that I'm rolling right now.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #1,297 of 4,782
I got the DT1990 + A20 combo on Amazon, and they sound fantastic together.

I've refrained from posting any impressions because I don't want "new toy" syndrome to affect my impressions. Also, I want to let them burn in just in case anything changes.

I will say that I've already started to sell and consolidate my headphone collection. They're just that good :wink:

75% of my listening this week was done with Lake People RS O6 DAC --> A20 --> DT1990.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,298 of 4,782
If you're intent on staying in the Fulla 2 price range and small size, you might check out the Micca OriGen. xDuoo XD-05 is Schiit stack pricing unless you catch the next Massdrop or buy used.

I'm willing to pay more than the Fulla 2 price range. My biggest problem with the Schiit stack is that it's two devices that will be less discrete on my desk and that I'll have to move arround the appartment. The Micca OriGen looks like a good recommendation. I cannot find it for sale in Europe though. Schiit, on the other hand, has a European reseller.

I'll only be using my headphones at home, so something truly portable and battery powered is not what I'm after.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #1,299 of 4,782
Looking for an upgrade from my X2's, are these it? I absolutely love the fun nature of the x2's, tried a pair of he-500's recently and they sounded dull in comparison. The bass is what I love about the X2's, i've heard the 1990's have a good low end but does it match the X2's? Are they similar at all in signature? any other recommendations?

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,300 of 4,782
Looking for an upgrade from my X2's, are these it? I absolutely love the fun nature of the x2's, tried a pair of he-500's recently and they sounded dull in comparison. The bass is what I love about the X2's, i've heard the 1990's have a good low end but does it match the X2's? Are they similar at all in signature? any other recommendations?
I have both. I love them both, but the 1990 does not match the X2 bass. 1990 is a cleaner sound. X2 is probably more comfy. I think over all the 1990 is a better product, not sure if I'd say it's as "fun" sounding as the X2 though. Just giving my honest opinion. If you don't mind EQ-ing the 1990 can handle some bass, don't take me wrong. I just think unaltered the X2 is better in that area.

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,301 of 4,782
I have both. I love them both, but the 1990 does not match the X2 bass. 1990 is a cleaner sound. X2 is probably more comfy. I think over all the 1990 is a better product, not sure if I'd say it's as "fun" sounding as the X2 though. Just giving my honest opinion. If you don't mind EQ-ing the 1990 can handle some bass, don't take me wrong. I just think unaltered the X2 is better in that area.

Thank you for your impressions, do you know of anything that would be considered superior to the X2's but doesn't stray too far away from it's sound sig?

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #1,302 of 4,782
Thank you for your impressions, do you know of anything that would be considered superior to the X2's but doesn't stray too far away from it's sound sig?
Don't want to get too far off topic in the thread. Maybe one of the T50RP mods? I don't know how many higher end headphones there are out there that have the bass signature the X2 have. I mean, I have a pair of TH900's but don't know if you want to spend that kind of money. Maybe one of the Massdrop Fostex models? I'm sure someone with more experience can help you better than me on this, maybe ask in the X2 thread?

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,303 of 4,782
Hey guys, I don't want to start an argument over burn in, but did anyone else experience changes with burn in on their DT 1990?

Mine came stock with the balanced pads, and out of the box I thought they sounded a bit muddy, so I immediately changed to the analytical pads and was very satisfied with their sound. Today (probably 30 hours later), I was queuing up some playlists and thought the DT 1990 sounded boring with the analytical pads. I changed to balanced pads, went over some songs that sounded muddy before, and thought the DT 1990 retained most of the analytical pad cleanliness while sounding more lively. Needless to say, the balanced pads will stay on, and I'll reserve more judgment for later :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #1,304 of 4,782
Hey guys, I don't want to start an argument over burn in, but did anyone else experience changes with burn in on their DT 1990?

Mine came stock with the balanced pads, and out of the box I thought they sounded a bit muddy, so I immediately changed to the analytical pads and was very satisfied with their sound. Today (probably 30 hours later), I was queuing up some playlists and thought the DT 1990 sounded boring with the analytical pads. I changed to balanced pads, went over some songs that sounded muddy before, and thought the DT 1990 retained most of the analytical pad cleanliness while sounding more lively. Needless to say, the balanced pads will stay on, and I'll reserve more judgment for later :)
I have analytical pads since time immemorial, and they did improve over time.

Dec 6, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,305 of 4,782

Exactly the same happened to me, but I thought it was my ears being burnt in. Now that knowing it’s not only me I think it’s probably the driver.

The balanced pads had been on for the last 3 months. Not a single thought of switching it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back