Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 22, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,276 of 4,782
Interesting idea. I have both but never though about putting the DT1990 pads on the T5P’s. The T5P’s sound so good already but I am curious to see how they would effect the sound.

I already have 1990 pro's and have t5p.2 on the way and was curious if anyone has already tried...i love the velour of the 1990s and would probably keep them on the t5ps as well if they still sound as good or better. Let me know if you notice a difference in sound since you're more familiar with t5p than I am.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #1,277 of 4,782
I already have 1990 pro's and have t5p.2 on the way and was curious if anyone has already tried...i love the velour of the 1990s and would probably keep them on the t5ps as well if they still sound as good or better. Let me know if you notice a difference in sound since you're more familiar with t5p than I am.
I just did a quick A/B of the DT1990 balanced pad on my T5P V2's and I didn't like what it did to the sound. The T5p's lively and dynamic sound was gone. The bass was reduced, treble extension was gone and the mids sounded dry. Oddly enough the velour pads didn't feel as good on the T5P's as I was hoping. The original pads on the T5P's were more comfortable to me. The velour pads seem to be a little bit stiffer than protein leather pads on the T5P's. Give it try when your T5P's come and see if you have a similar experience.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,279 of 4,782
Thanks for the input, that certainly wasnt what i wanted to hear :triportsad: lol. but i"m still gonna try it out too after i get them.
The T5P's are step above DT-1990's as far as sound goes. Switching back and forth you can definitely hear the difference in sound signature.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,280 of 4,782
Nov 27, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,287 of 4,782
Well, the sale is now over. Hopefully, at least a couple people on headfi had the cash at the time to take advantage of it.

Was on the fence when it dropped to $499...jumped on it once it hit $400. On the delivery truck, will probably be here within the hour. Trying to keep my expectations in check so not to be disappointed.
Current set up: Magni 3 / Modi 2U --> AKG K7xx & RBH HP-2

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,288 of 4,782
Was on the fence when it dropped to $499...jumped on it once it hit $400. On the delivery truck, will probably be here within the hour. Trying to keep my expectations in check so not to be disappointed.
Current set up: Magni 3 / Modi 2U --> AKG K7xx & RBH HP-2
Compared to the K7xx’s you have listed the DT-1990’s should definitely be a sound improvement. I had the AKG K7xx’s and thought they were to thin sounding. The DT-1990’s are more dynamic and more revealing than the K7xx’s to my ears. I’ve never heard the RBH HP-2’s. Hopefully when you get the DT-1990’s you enjoy them like many of us do.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,289 of 4,782
Compared to the K7xx’s you have listed the DT-1990’s should definitely be a sound improvement. I had the AKG K7xx’s and thought they were to thin sounding. The DT-1990’s are more dynamic and more revealing than the K7xx’s to my ears. I’ve never heard the RBH HP-2’s. Hopefully when you get the DT-1990’s you enjoy them like many of us do.

These definitely sound more lively and enjoyable in comparison. Was worried the highs might be an issue as it is with some people, but I don't think it's bothersome in the short time I've had it.

One thing that is definitely noticeable is the comfort...I think I've been spoiled by the featherweight K7xx. The clamp pressure, weight, and cup shape feels like my old Hifiman HE-400 (gen 1). Not bad, but hopefully these Germans loosen up their vice grip a bit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back