Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,261 of 4,785
I did no read the entire thread, so sorry if this is repetitive, but could you tell us a bit about the amp? It looks interesting.

The amp in the foreground is the Feliks-Audio Euforia and the amp in the background is the Schiit Valhalla 2. I really enjoy the Euforia, but I would never recommend anyone buy it because it's just too expensive, especially since Feliks-Audio jacked the price up (I was one of the last people to get it for $1,400). What I've actually been using to drive the DT 1990 Pro the most of late has been Beyerdynamic's own A20 amp, which I find scandalously underrated. Everything is being fed by a Gumby and some exotic AmazonBasics RCA cables, by the way.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,262 of 4,785
The amp in the foreground is the Feliks-Audio Euforia and the amp in the background is the Schiit Valhalla 2. I really enjoy the Euforia, but I would never recommend anyone buy it because it's just too expensive, especially since Feliks-Audio jacked the price up (I was one of the last people to get it for $1,400). What I've actually been using to drive the DT 1990 Pro the most of late has been Beyerdynamic's own A20 amp, which I find scandalously underrated. Everything is being fed by a Gumby and some exotic AmazonBasics RCA cables, by the way.

Good insight. I keep flip-flopping on the idea of getting a tube amp. That will wait for now. My next consideration is a better DAC.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #1,264 of 4,785
Recieved mine today. :beyersmile:

They're definitely as great as I expected and beyond... I prefer them with the analytical pads, but there's a love for the balanced ones too, it's like having two different set of cans soundwise!

The Magni 3 delivers enough power to drive them properly, although I need to put the high gain more often than I expected, really love this little Schiit...

Absolutely love the comfort, design and build quality too, the package have outstading value for less than 500 dollars I pay for it.

Best sounding gear I've ever listen to so far, included my IE 800 iem's and my previously K701.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,265 of 4,785
A disc or two of 1ply toilet paper underneath the felt pad (between felt pad and driver) seems to be helping to calm the treble peakiness. Give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

The technique is discussed here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/taming-the-treble/

And here: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/69/headphone-modding

I would encourage other owners to try this out and post their impressions. I still feel that these headphones could hang with flagships with some modding.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #1,267 of 4,785
I still feel that these headphones could hang with flagships with some modding.

Considering these have the same driver technology that the proper Beyerdynamic flagships, and the build quality is equally good (or even better) than many flagships in the market... It's not a crazy statement.

I still in love with mine, amazing sound and amount of comfort. :dt880smile:

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #1,268 of 4,785
I've had my eyes on the DT 1990 for almost a year now (browsing classifieds for a used pair every so often). Needless to say, the people who own these love them and rarely ever sell them!

I was going to wait until my Christmas bonus to finally buy a pair, but my amp finally hit they hay, so I decided to use it as an excuse to get the DT 1990 + A20 combo on Amazon. The plan is to finally downsize to one main pair of headphones and one backup pair (most likely my humble Grado SR80e), so I'll be offering some impressions and comparison once they come in! Thanks to everyone in this thread for the plethora of information (especially helping me choose between the Amiron Home and DT 1990).

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,269 of 4,785
I think it’s easy to choose between 1990 and Amiron if you could audition them. I too had been comparing specs and reviews for months, but once I had the chance to audition them, made my decision in just half an hour.

Hope you enjoy 1990 like I do! And please share your impression of the 1990 + A20 combo because I too have that amp on my wishlist for a long time.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #1,270 of 4,785
I think it’s easy to choose between 1990 and Amiron if you could audition them. I too had been comparing specs and reviews for months, but once I had the chance to audition them, made my decision in just half an hour.

Hope you enjoy 1990 like I do! And please share your impression of the 1990 + A20 combo because I too have that amp on my wishlist for a long time.

Will do! I see you're a Grado man :) The RS2e are my favorite headphones that I've heard to date, and one of the few I still own.

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #1,271 of 4,785
I have had the Mojo with me for a couple of days for auditioning.
With DT 1990A it sounds great. A bit too sweet and smooth for my taste but the clarity, soundstage and precise separation it offers is really shining out on the DT 1990A.

On my XD-05, comparatively, 1990A has better low end (deeper bass, more sub bass presence), treble rolled off slightly, soundstage is a bit less and separation is not as precise as Mojo and also not as clean either. This is stock XD-05 with TI OPA1612. Now there 4 opamps in the air to be delivered, hope they serve better.

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #1,273 of 4,785
I've had my eyes on the DT 1990 for almost a year now (browsing classifieds for a used pair every so often). Needless to say, the people who own these love them and rarely ever sell them!

I was going to wait until my Christmas bonus to finally buy a pair, but my amp finally hit they hay, so I decided to use it as an excuse to get the DT 1990 + A20 combo on Amazon. The plan is to finally downsize to one main pair of headphones and one backup pair (most likely my humble Grado SR80e), so I'll be offering some impressions and comparison once they come in! Thanks to everyone in this thread for the plethora of information (especially helping me choose between the Amiron Home and DT 1990).

I ordered one of the combos from Amazon that came with the fiio portable amp (I forget what model) and never received the amp but instead got a refund for the cost of the amp.

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,275 of 4,785
Has anyone tried putting dt 1990 Pro pads on t5p.2?
Interesting idea. I have both but never though about putting the DT1990 pads on the T5P’s. The T5P’s sound so good already but I am curious to see how they would effect the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back