Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #1,247 of 4,782
Observed that instruments farther away sound much thinner and have almost no timbre (compared to instruments that are closer).

From how I read this, you are saying that something that is farther away is less distinct and therefore is more difficult to identify as a specific instrument or sound source. Is this what you mean?

I'm not sure relative to the specific music you listened to and the specific headphones you tried but in general what you are describing seems to make sense. How distance is experienced is multifaceted from what I know. A diminished ability to clearly identify aspects of timbre is probably part of that to some degree.

I have not spent much time listening with the B-pads (the ones with more holes in them) installed so I can't really say how these pads affect the sound aspects you describe.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #1,248 of 4,782
I suppose this shows how personal the listening experience is

I think this is very true. Its important to know someone's listening preferences are and what is in the signal chain as well in making a comparison.

In that respect, I am not a bright headphone fan in general. I prefer a slightly darker but detailed sound. This does not mean that I dislike a bright sound. It means only that I prefer a slightly darker, slightly warmer, sound.

To be clear, my reference is not to the HD6xx monprice release but is an actual HD650 and an actual HD600. I have no idea what the similarities are to the HD6xx. The HD6xx may indeed be exactly the same as one or both of the HD650 and the HD600 or they may not be the same. I have absolutely no idea since I have never once heard an HD6xx.

Also, the HD600 and the HD650 do sound different from each other to a fair degree. They should not be lumped together using a generic HD6xx placeholder name in discussions in my view.

For me the HD650 price is not the point. The sound quality is what matters in this discussion. Consider that a few years ago the HD650 was a $700+ headphone when it was the flagship. The pricing today is moot to a large degree for me. I'm only comparing the headphones relative to what I hear when listeing to them. From this, you may infer that I don't believe that price necessarily implies quality in general.

Having said that, I certainly hear the more forward treble in the DT1990 that you mention but to me this is not the same as more detail. This idea of treble and detail are a distinct thing for me. There is detail in mids and in bass that should be considered as well as detail in highs. Because of this, how much a headphone 'sparkles' is not the complete picture of detail for me.

I agree that the recessed mid in the DT1990 is not a huge thing, but it does arise at times for me. Its sometimes noticeable but its not bothersome.

Regarding the idea of an upgrade to the HD650 and the HD600 or is the DT1990 better somehow: I see the DT1990 as a bass upgrade over the HD650, a mids downgrade, and a matter of preference relative to highs (especially relative to the HD600 highs but also the HD650 highs).

The DT1990 build quality obliterates the HD650 and HD600. This is painfully clear. Comfort is about the same.

Basically for me this boils down to a matter of preference.

As I said, I would not sell an HD650 or an HD600 to get a DT1990 but I would also not sell a DT1990 either to get another headphone.

It simply depends on what you like. I am keeping all three becasue I like them all.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,251 of 4,782
I am not sure if this is allowed or not on this site, but if you can, could you post a link to to this? I may get a fancy cable if they look cool.

This whole forum is about discussing products, so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be allowed. Here's a link to the AKG cable I bought: https://www.etsy.com/listing/245927030/custom-infinity-series-akg-replacement and here's a couple of cell phone shots of my cable (6' w/ E-6.3R 1/4" Rhodium sleeved in black, burgundy, and charcoal) :

IMG_20171114_211935.jpg
IMG_20171114_211951.jpg

Cost me $85.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #1,252 of 4,782
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #1,254 of 4,782
I think this is very true. Its important to know someone's listening preferences are and what is in the signal chain as well in making a comparison.

In that respect, I am not a bright headphone fan in general. I prefer a slightly darker but detailed sound. This does not mean that I dislike a bright sound. It means only that I prefer a slightly darker, slightly warmer, sound.

To be clear, my reference is not to the HD6xx monprice release but is an actual HD650 and an actual HD600. I have no idea what the similarities are to the HD6xx. The HD6xx may indeed be exactly the same as one or both of the HD650 and the HD600 or they may not be the same. I have absolutely no idea since I have never once heard an HD6xx.

Also, the HD600 and the HD650 do sound different from each other to a fair degree. They should not be lumped together using a generic HD6xx placeholder name in discussions in my view.

For me the HD650 price is not the point. The sound quality is what matters in this discussion. Consider that a few years ago the HD650 was a $700+ headphone when it was the flagship. The pricing today is moot to a large degree for me. I'm only comparing the headphones relative to what I hear when listeing to them. From this, you may infer that I don't believe that price necessarily implies quality in general.

Having said that, I certainly hear the more forward treble in the DT1990 that you mention but to me this is not the same as more detail. This idea of treble and detail are a distinct thing for me. There is detail in mids and in bass that should be considered as well as detail in highs. Because of this, how much a headphone 'sparkles' is not the complete picture of detail for me.

I agree that the recessed mid in the DT1990 is not a huge thing, but it does arise at times for me. Its sometimes noticeable but its not bothersome.

Regarding the idea of an upgrade to the HD650 and the HD600 or is the DT1990 better somehow: I see the DT1990 as a bass upgrade over the HD650, a mids downgrade, and a matter of preference relative to highs (especially relative to the HD600 highs but also the HD650 highs).

The DT1990 build quality obliterates the HD650 and HD600. This is painfully clear. Comfort is about the same.

Basically for me this boils down to a matter of preference.

As I said, I would not sell an HD650 or an HD600 to get a DT1990 but I would also not sell a DT1990 either to get another headphone.

It simply depends on what you like. I am keeping all three becasue I like them all.

Thanks for your helpful response. To clarify, I auditioned actual HD650s (not the 6XXs) to make my comparison. Also, the HD6XXs are the 650s (with, I believe, some minor adjustments that I am told don't affect the sound)

As for detail, though I understand how you read me the way you did, I meant simply that sparkle and treble are also aspects of the DT1990s, not that these are the same thing as more detail. To my ears the DT1990s has more detail than the HD650 (and more energetic separation of sound, and more soundstage). Thanks for your response.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,255 of 4,782
Nov 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,257 of 4,782
How does it sound versus the stock cable?

Yes, eager to hear your thoughts, @Hyp0xia - I have also contacted BeyerDynamic directly to see what they say.

Sounds the same as the stock cable. I don't claim to hear a difference between cables. I never have and very much doubt that I ever will. I bought it because I wanted a shorter cable and it looks cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back