Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #1,231 of 4,782
I was listening to a lot of acoustics and orchestral recordings since last couple of days (DT 1990 on A-pads) and noticed that the instrument timbre isn't as natural as it should be. Stax L300 were amazing in that regard and they had narrow soundstage. Wondering if soundstage affected the timbre I tried various tracks.

Observed that instruments farther away sound much thinner and have almost no timbre (compared to instruments that are closer).

A guy (from Audeze I guess) explained how FR can affect both timbre as well as soundstage and most of the time a narrower soundstage with proper FR results in an utmost natural instrument presentation.

I then changed to B-pads. Much better instrument presentation.

Did anybody else observe this?

My experience with the DT 1990 is that tonally it always sounded better to me with the balanced pads, while the analytical were more linear it never quite sounded fully natural like it did on the balanced. It was a toss-up between the DT 1990-Balanced pads and the Amiron Home on which I liked more. But I preferred both the Amiron Home and T1.2(I felt these did what the DT 1990 analytical pads were trying to do successfully) to the DT 1990-Analytical Pads. The Amiron is a different animal than both the DT 1990 and T1.2.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #1,232 of 4,782
I have a DT1990, HD650, HD600, K712 and a few other headphones and earphones. I listen to the DT1990 with the analytical pads, the pads with fewer holes in them. I have had the DT1990 for a few months and the HD650 for years.

Overall, to my ears the DT1990 needs something like -3dB starting at about 8 or 9kHz and going up, and it could use about +3dB at about 80Hz moving down (I like bass when it is well done). This was close to my initial impression and this still holds for me.

Relative to the HD600 and the HD650, the DT1990 mids seem to be recessed but not to the point that this is annoying. Certain recordings, can however, sound a bit confused in the DT1990 due to the treble begin very much in front of the mids at certain points where perhaps this should not be obviously so.

The HD600 is smoother and has a much more natural treble. The DT1990 is a bit brighter but I can't say that its more detailed than the HD600. The HD600 treble is pretty detailed and well executed to me. I would not say the HD600 lack detail overall. Also, the mids seem more detailed in the HD600 and HD650. Right now, the bass in the DT1990 seems cleaner to me than in the HD650 bass in particular on some funk tracks I like. The DT1990 bass is fast, punchy, and well executed.

The soundstage in the DT1990 is wider than the the HD600 but its not nearly as wide as it is in the K712. The DT1990 images well but I perceive the HD650 to be more focused and precise in the center image when I listen to vocals on certain tracks. I am not sure if this is related to the DT1990 treble or not. The very wide K712 soundstage is a bit distracting to me at times where the K712 width comes off on certain recordings as being panned too far right or left if that makes any sense. This is certainly fun, but I like the DT1990 more in this respect, at least right now. The DT1990 is nicely wider than the HD600 and HD650. The DT1990 seems deeper as well, but I have not really figured this out yet. I'm not sure about taller yet either. I have some Chesky recordings coming to me that will help to figure out the height.

Personally, I would not give up an HD650 or an HD600 for a DT1990; however, I would not sell my DT1990 right now either. They are simply different headphones and it depends on what you are looking for.

For me the DT1990 delivers a balanced sound with a great bass (the main reason I purchased the DT1990), a wide soundstage, clear treble and good (but slightly recessed) mids with more energy in the treble than the HD600. The DT1990 with the analytical pads are good. If you can EQ them, the DT1990 are better.

There is, in my view, a lot to agree with here. But to my ear the HD 650 isn't in the same league as the DT1990. The latter has - for me at least - more detail and resolution. The sound sparkles much more. I remember comparing the 650 to the DT 770 and thinking how, in terms of quality, they were similar except for the fact that the 650s didn't dip in the mids like the 770s, so presented a more balanced picture covering the spectrum of sound better. But comparing the 770s to the 1990s was comparing two different beasts. In fact, I have been so impressed with the DT 1990s that - after I auditioned the HD 650s - I canceled my order of the HD6XXs. I just didn't think I'd end up using them when I had the 1990s to hand. The mid recess, which you mention, is also surely right, but as you say, it is so minimal. I can compare it with cans that push the mids a bit forward, like the AKG 7XXs, and don't find any loss when listening to the DT1990s. The mids are fully there and sound superb, so the recess is minimal. Every other aspect of the 1990s sparkles making them clearly superior cans. But of course, they are also more expensive ...

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #1,233 of 4,782
There is, in my view, a lot to agree with here. But to my ear the HD 650 isn't in the same league as the DT1990. The latter has - for me at least - more detail and resolution. The sound sparkles much more. I remember comparing the 650 to the DT 770 and thinking how, in terms of quality, they were similar except for the fact that the 650s didn't dip in the mids like the 770s, so presented a more balanced picture covering the spectrum of sound better. But comparing the 770s to the 1990s was comparing two different beasts. In fact, I have been so impressed with the DT 1990s that - after I auditioned the HD 650s - I canceled my order of the HD6XXs. I just didn't think I'd end up using them when I had the 1990s to hand. The mid recess, which you mention, is also surely right, but as you say, it is so minimal. I can compare it with cans that push the mids a bit forward, like the AKG 7XXs, and don't find any loss when listening to the DT1990s. The mids are fully there and sound superb, so the recess is minimal. Every other aspect of the 1990s sparkles making them clearly superior cans. But of course, they are also more expensive ...

Another thought I had is that what we hear for means of comparison will no doubt reflect the DAC we use. I use the Mojo which pairs so well with the DT1990s. The cans manage to express the detail and separation produced by the Mojo incredibly well. I know the Mojo isn't a Hugo 2 or the like, but although the HD600s and 650s are known to scale well, they probably won't in the way the DT1990s manage. I presume this is down to the Tesla driver, which can physically produce more detail.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #1,234 of 4,782
Another thought I had is that what we hear for means of comparison will no doubt reflect the DAC we use. I use the Mojo which pairs so well with the DT1990s. The cans manage to express the detail and separation produced by the Mojo incredibly well. I know the Mojo isn't a Hugo 2 or the like, but although the HD600s and 650s are known to scale well, they probably won't in the way the DT1990s manage. I presume this is down to the Tesla driver, which can physically produce more detail.
Talking about pairing, I tried the DT 1990 with Opus #11, Schiit Fulla 2, Chord Mojo and Audeze Deckard.

I found it paired best with Deckard followed by Fulla 2. Mojo's smoothness and mid focused character didn't quite suit the DT 1990 with B-pads. Maybe they are better with A-pads.
But Deckard for sure is an amazing pair. Let's me think will Asgard 2 be as good as Deckard for pairing?

EDIT:
Waiting for my xDuoo XD-05 to arrive, along with 4 opamps to roll

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #1,235 of 4,782
Talking about pairing, I tried the DT 1990 with Opus #11, Schiit Fulla 2, Chord Mojo and Audeze Deckard.

I found it paired best with Deckard followed by Fulla 2. Mojo's smoothness and mid focused character didn't quite suit the DT 1990 with B-pads. Maybe they are better with A-pads.
But Deckard for sure is an amazing pair. Let's me think will Asgard 2 be as good as Deckard for pairing?

EDIT:
Waiting for my xDuoo XD-05 to arrive, along with 4 opamps to roll

Fascinating. I suppose this shows how personal the listening experience is. I find that the Mojo is an ideal match with the DT1990s due to the detail, mids and punchy low end.

Nov 14, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #1,236 of 4,782
Fascinating. I suppose this shows how personal the listening experience is. I find that the Mojo is an ideal match with the DT1990s due to the detail, mids and punchy low end.
You're using the A-pads or B-pads?
I guess this thread should use a convention to specify 1990 as either 1990A or 1990B.

If you are fond of bass depth and good low end representation, Fulla 2 will not disappoint you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handles depth and details in the low end.

Mojo has the best mids I have ever heard and I agree with you on Mojo's strengths.

As revealing and resolving the DT 1990 is (A a.w.a. B), Deckard sounded best.

I should have tried Mojo + Deckard, I will as soon as I get a chance.

I found that in general my 1990A sounded great with class A amps including Aune B1. I am now using the B-pads, and will continue with it.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,237 of 4,782
You're using the A-pads or B-pads?
I guess this thread should use a convention to specify 1990 as either 1990A or 1990B.

If you are fond of bass depth and good low end representation, Fulla 2 will not disappoint you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handles depth and details in the low end.

Mojo has the best mids I have ever heard and I agree with you on Mojo's strengths.

As revealing and resolving the DT 1990 is (A a.w.a. B), Deckard sounded best.

I should have tried Mojo + Deckard, I will as soon as I get a chance.

I found that in general my 1990A sounded great with class A amps including Aune B1. I am now using the B-pads, and will continue with it.

I'm mainly using the B-Pads, though the A-Pads are probably a bit more faithful for particular genres (e.g., classical, jazz), but not as much fun imho. With the B-Pads, the *slightly* recessed mids are compensated by the Mojo which is, as you say, particularly strong there. That said, with the B-Pads, the low end is brought out beautifully. It punches more than with my Cayin C5!

In the (distant) future, I may be able to afford the Chord Hugo 2 or even some kind of Stax system, but for now the Mojo+DT1990 combo has left me overwhelmed. Like listening to my whole music collection again for the first time.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,238 of 4,782
Mojo & 1990 +1. With A pads the sound is very neutral, but with B pads the bass is irresistible.

Initially I preferred A pads because I liked a balanced sound, but the bass quality of 1990 is just so good that I kept wanting more, and now the B pads sounds immaculate to me.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,239 of 4,782
Mojo & 1990 +1. With A pads the sound is very neutral, but with B pads the bass is irresistible.

Initially I preferred A pads because I liked a balanced sound, but the bass quality of 1990 is just so good that I kept wanting more, and now the B pads sounds immaculate to me.

Yes, 100% agree. The bass punch is not only deep but tight, an absolute delight! Listening to Rimsky Korsakov - Capriccio Espagnol may bring a little too much bass to the performance with B-Pads, but I don't care because it sounds wonderful!

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,241 of 4,782
What are the thoughts on custom silver cables? I purchased a Lavricables silver cable for my DT1770s, but ended up selling the DT1770s and thought about buying the DT1990s, but wondered if the silver cable would make a difference or should I sell it and put the money towards the DT1990s. I’m sure there are a lot of different opinions on custom cables:)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #1,242 of 4,782
Yes great music. I've only heard the Ataulfo Argenta version on the album "Espana", from the Decca Sound box. Actually the entire disc is very good.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,243 of 4,782
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,244 of 4,782
What are the thoughts on custom silver cables? I purchased a Lavricables silver cable for my DT1770s, but ended up selling the DT1770s and thought about buying the DT1990s, but wondered if the silver cable would make a difference or should I sell it and put the money towards the DT1990s. I’m sure there are a lot of different opinions on custom cables:)

Funnily enough, I was wondering the same today. I checked out some at Moon Audio and the price was crazy. For speakers, cables make a difference, so it stands to reason they would for headphones too, but not for that price. Perhaps there are cheaper options out there, but I am uninformed!

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,245 of 4,782
Funnily enough, I was wondering the same today. I checked out some at Moon Audio and the price was crazy. For speakers, cables make a difference, so it stands to reason they would for headphones too, but not for that price. Perhaps there are cheaper options out there, but I am uninformed!
Impactaudio cables in etsy.com has just reopened his shop (he closes it for a bit when he is backed up with orders). I purchased a nice copper cable from him this August and am quite satisfied. His prices seem to be the best bang for buck. I can PM some other brands (shipping from USA or EU) to you. I have, recently, been looking around for different cable companies and have found some nice ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back