Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 9, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,081 of 4,782
I have dt990pro and planing upgrade to 1990.So i have few questions .
How about the amplification ? Right now am using nfb 11.28 with 990 and like the result but am wondering is the 11.28 good match for 1990 ?
In fact what amp is a good match for 1990 ? Am thinking of buying a good amp and then experiment with sources. How about Lake People Amps ? Any experience is welcome.
Thanks in advance ! :)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,083 of 4,782
I have dt990pro and planing upgrade to 1990.So i have few questions .
How about the amplification ? Right now am using nfb 11.28 with 990 and like the result but am wondering is the 11.28 good match for 1990 ?
In fact what amp is a good match for 1990 ? Am thinking of buying a good amp and then experiment with sources. How about Lake People Amps ? Any experience is welcome.
Thanks in advance ! :)

I would think so but I do not have any first hand experience with this. I think I did read somewhere that someone was using this combo and were very happy with it, especially since you can toggle the 11.28 using jumpers to give you a bit warmer sound if you like.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,084 of 4,782
hey guys how do the dt1990 pro improve with use? how does the sound develop?

just got mine couple hours ago and wondering how they will improve.

Also how do the Sony MDR-Z7 compare?

is it similar sound but not quite as delicate?

Also would the HD800 be a step from these or are they just very different headphones?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,085 of 4,782

Honestly that is really subjective matter, since when it comes to the burn-in process it's mostly about how our brain adapts to the new sound signature in comparison to what we've been used to.

I was coming from B&W P7 which I can imagine has a lot in common with Z7 and to me the 1990 with balanced pads seemed to be a natural upgrade in everything: the sound quality, soundstage and immersion was a level above.
The analytical pads seemed to be too bright to me at first. However now, after trying them more and playing with my amp settings, it's hard for me to go back to B pads, I like the A so much :wink:

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,086 of 4,782
Yeah ive been putting up with QC25 for the last couple months while i have been investigating the next set of cans.. lol listen to the 1990 pro for 10 mins then switching back lol.. literally chuckling how anemic they sound in comparison. My only little concern is the vocal are not quite there.. for me they could be just a tad bit more there if you like. more forward. just missing something from the vocal.. I think this is what i didnt get on with the 1770 pro. Otherwise sound wise they so far are better than the 1770 pro's Im guessing this is as good as it gets for under £500.

Currently tube rolling to see if i can get that something from them :)

Cheers though

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,088 of 4,782
My only little concern is the vocal are not quite there.. for me they could be just a tad bit more there if you like. more forward. just missing something from the vocal..
Have you tried the A pads? I feel the A pads bring the mid range forward and give the vocal more presence.

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,089 of 4,782
Honestly that is really subjective matter, since when it comes to the burn-in process it's mostly about how our brain adapts to the new sound signature in comparison to what we've been used to.

I was coming from B&W P7 which I can imagine has a lot in common with Z7 and to me the 1990 with balanced pads seemed to be a natural upgrade in everything: the sound quality, soundstage and immersion was a level above.
The analytical pads seemed to be too bright to me at first. However now, after trying them more and playing with my amp settings, it's hard for me to go back to B pads, I like the A so much :wink:
There is an openness with the A pads that gives you more insight into music to my ears. They are pretty neutral sounding and nothing is really emphasized. The B pads does enhance the lower mids and bass frequencies somewhat. I find them both enjoyable to listen to. It really comes down to preference.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,091 of 4,782

Also would the HD800 be a step from these or are they just very different headphones?

Thanks

The 1990 does not change radically with burn-in (unlike some others, like MrSpeakers). Can't compare the Z7. And the HD800 I would consider a step up for soundstage, but a step down in versatility. (I just don't think the 800 likes to rock out all that much. It's a good pick for a symphony orchestra though.)

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #1,092 of 4,782
The 1990 does not change radically with burn-in (unlike some others, like MrSpeakers). Can't compare the Z7. And the HD800 I would consider a step up for soundstage, but a step down in versatility. (I just don't think the 800 likes to rock out all that much. It's a good pick for a symphony orchestra though.)

Agreed I didn't notice much change on the DT 1990 and I owned 2 of them. I actually found the Amiron Home to change more with use than the DT 1990.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,093 of 4,782

Thanks

I think the HD800 are just a different type of can. Yes, I think they are a step-up from the 1990's for classical music, but for rock, pop, jazz, and anything with a bit of bass, I much prefer the 1990's. I think whether or not you get-on with the HD800's depends very much on what you listen to, and also what's in the chain further up the line. I've heard the HD800's can be very fussy about what type of amp you use etc. Not had that experience myself, but others have reported that?
I think you might have the nail on the head in one of your later posts - with regard to the 1990's, it's probably 'nirvana' at the £500 price point :gs1000smile:
And yes, IMO they're definitely keepers!

Sep 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,094 of 4,782
>> you get to ear pads to replace between A and B?

Yes. The headphones come with two sets of earpads: A (analytical) and B (balanced -- slightly enhanced bass response).

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,095 of 4,782
I think the HD800 are just a different type of can. Yes, I think they are a step-up from the 1990's for classical music, but for rock, pop, jazz, and anything with a bit of bass, I much prefer the 1990's. I think whether or not you get-on with the HD800's depends very much on what you listen to, and also what's in the chain further up the line. I've heard the HD800's can be very fussy about what type of amp you use etc. Not had that experience myself, but others have reported that?
I think you might have the nail on the head in one of your later posts - with regard to the 1990's, it's probably 'nirvana' at the £500 price point :gs1000smile:
And yes, IMO they're definitely keepers!

Curious if you ever tried modded HD800 or HD800S, or Sonarworks compensation EQ thingy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back