Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 8, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,070 of 4,782
It's absolutely real leather. Not sure what kind but it's every bit as premium as the leather on a good pair of boots.
Sorry, but it is very good pleather, stitched though, but pleather. Very comfy.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #1,073 of 4,782
Beyerdynamic USA says it's real leather. *shrug*

This is from the German spare parts shop:

DT1990 Headband.JPG

"Kunstleder" means artificial leather or pleather in English.

But again it is very high quality, the spare is inexpensive and will be available for ages to come if we all proceed supporting Beyerdynamic.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #1,074 of 4,782
I actually speak German fluently and stand corrected. Good find! I'm happy about this because I think fake leather stands up to head grease better than the real stuff - at least from what I've noticed. Now to convince a family member in Germany to buy it and send it to me so I have a spare on hand... lol

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #1,076 of 4,782
Hi guys,

Im looking to get a pair of 1990s. I;ve owned the T1 gen 1 and I'm wondering what your impressions are between the 2?
I used to own the T1 V.1 too, and could never get on with the upper-mid 'hump' and relative lack of bass. This made listening to rock & pop difficult, in my experience. I understand that the bass had been 'fixed' and tweaked with the T1 V2.
IMO the 1990's are MUCH better in this respect, with a decent amount of bass and sub-bass. The glare of the upper-mids is also absent. To be fair, the mids with the 1990's are a little recessed and soft compared to the T1 V1, but I think for rock & pop they are much more listenable.
I don't regret for one minute swapping my T1 V1 for the 1990's, and I think the 1990's are great all-rounders, and sound superb with all genres. Superb cans!

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #1,077 of 4,782
Hi could anyone help me as i have owned the 1770 pro and didnt get on with them so sold them and have been umming and aaahing about what cans to get going forward. I have been considering the 1990 pro or the HD 800 or ultrasone signature pro's. Does anyone have experience with these and give me any advice on which to go for?

Thanks

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #1,078 of 4,782
Hi could anyone help me as i have owned the 1770 pro and didnt get on with them so sold them and have been umming and aaahing about what cans to get going forward. I have been considering the 1990 pro or the HD 800 or ultrasone signature pro's. Does anyone have experience with these and give me any advice on which to go for?

Thanks
I own the 1770's, 1990's and the HD800's.
I think the 1990's are brilliant all-rounders, and are much better all-round than the 1770's. However, the 1990's are open-backed rather than closed, so leak sound much more. I use my 1770's whilst commuting etc, so as not to disturb other travellers, and they also isolate the environment much better.
Overall, I think the 1990's sound better than the 1770's, and you sound notice a big improvement in soundstage and coherence.
Ummmm. HD800's... I think they are an astounding pair of cans, with a few caveats. Nothing beats the HD800 when listening to classical music, but they are less convincing with other genres, such as rock & pop, jazz etc IMO. In short, you get bags of clarity and every single detail in the music, but the bass just isn't there with them. Mahler? YES! Moby? NO!
I actually think the 1990's are a better buy, and sounds stunning with EVERY genre of music, including classical. I've had mine a few months now, and since then I've not used my HD800's a great deal, so much so I'm contemplating selling them.
So maybe that's the answer!? The ears don't lie!

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #1,079 of 4,782

Thanks
I had all three cans that you mention, the DT1990 is still with me, the DT1770 had to go, because the DT1990 is so much better to me. The Sig Pro is the best Ultrasone beside the Sig Dj and I had some of their collection. For me the earcups of the Ultrasone Signatures are to small thus always a little uncomfy. The HD800 is a fantastic can, but the earcups are too large for me, thus they caused some pressure on the jawbone, that's exactly why they left. I am a lot about wearing comfort. The most comfortable cans I came across are my two Sony Z7 and Z1r. You might want to check those too. The DT1990 is very good in that regards, especially with the analytic pads.

Sep 9, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,080 of 4,782
ok interesting so you both defo recommend the 1990 pro's. The thing about the 1770 pro, it just lacked feeling. kept cracking up the volume searching for something.. could put my finger on it but think maybe musicality/fun/warmth. combination of those.
So if the 1990 give more spaciousness and a sense of feeling to the music i think they will be amazing. I am hesitant as i don't want them to be like the 1770 pro's. Hence willing to break the bank for HD800. but are they becoming old tech.. hmm dont know if they a relevant with newer cans.
I watched the Z Review and he loves the 1990 but also shared the same view of the 17670 pro's (hardcore all the time). So i guess the ultrasone are off the table as i do long listening periods.
I guess the only other pair is the TH900, but i wasnt impressed with the th610's as the sound was bang in the middle of head and just not what i was looking for.
Im after the clarity detail spaciousness , good base beautiful vocals and instrumentals where you can hear the detail of a double bass for instance with warmth with accurate imagine and sound as it should. I dont ask much :wink:
maybe im not gonna find it..

oh and i do like to feel the bass. the resonance and clarity. dont like muddy bass at all.

If you can think of anything that fits this, and if it is the 1990 pro's then ill get them.

I currently run a SMSL Idea dac with little dot mk2

headphones suck for quality.. QC25's good on cancellation though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back