Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #661 of 4,801
  I guess most audio differences with higher price stuff is just a placebo at best :xf_eek:

Well, I am tempted to say that too, but then again the 250-ohm Tesla-series headphones are actually quite easy to drive. My T 90s are louder than my old (250-ohm) DT 990 cans on the same amp volume level. I expect the DT 1990 to be very close the same. I can sometimes max out the volume while watching movies, so the Denon unit does have awful output. At this point, though, I am looking forward to finding my 'endgame' cans instead of investing in another dac-amp.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #662 of 4,801
  Well, I am tempted to say that too, but then again the 250-ohm Tesla-series headphones are actually quite easy to drive. My T 90s are louder than my old (250-ohm) DT 990 cans on the same amp volume level. I expect the DT 1990 to be very close the same. I can sometimes max out the volume while watching movies, so the Denon unit does have awful output. At this point, though, I am looking forward to finding my 'endgame' cans instead of investing in another dac-amp.

Is t90 able to play off a portable for casual listening volume if its easier to drive than 990.250? Does it sound good or better amped? Not louder, i know it will be louder, but the SQ i ask of.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #663 of 4,801
The T90 have the same impedance and sensitivity then the 1990 so my answer is yes. As he said Teslas are really easy to drive. They are louder than my DT 770 80 Ohm too (at same output). Should be good with most portable devices.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #664 of 4,801
  Is t90 able to play off a portable for casual listening volume if its easier to drive than 990.250? Does it sound good or better amped? Not louder, i know it will be louder, but the SQ i ask of.

On my phone the volume gets barely loud enough, indoors it's ok but otherwise would probably suck a bit. Sound quality is good but not on par with having a dedicated dac-amp. The sound in general is cleaner, maybe with a hint of more bass or then not. Actually, the difference might be quite disappointing to some. (But to be honest, the phone sounds way better than an integrated soundcard on a PC.) I have a Nexus 5X phone so it shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary among mobile phones in this regard.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #665 of 4,801
  Imo the output power is really poor but its enough to power the 1990s. I dont go over -10dB which is really loud already, probably too loud for more than 5 minutes of listening to it. The problem i had was thinking, that the voltage of the Denon may not be high enough to feed the 1990 enough even at moderate volume levels, but i guess my fear was unnecessary. I ordered the Chord Mojo now which sounded extremely good at first.. now switching back to the Denon they both sound the same. Mojo can go louder obviously but for normal to loud listening sessions the sound the same to me. I guess most audio differences with higher price stuff is just a placebo at best :xf_eek:

I sometimes get to thinking similar thoughts, that the difference between many DACs and amps is barely audible at best - but then sometimes I can hear the difference without even trying.

For example, the other night I was listening to my Beyer Amiron through my Apogee Groove, which is known for having a good ESS Sabre DAC and for being able to power high-impedance phones.  I then decided to switch to my Chord Mojo and immediately heard a difference, bringing out greater details and more dynamics in the music.  Other times in the past, I've switched between them without perceiving much of a difference.  Maybe it's a question of which 'phones I'm using, maybe it's a question of the recording, maybe it's just a variation in my perception.

I recently ordered a Schiit Jotunheim to see if there is indeed a difference when using a high-powered desktop amp, as many people claim.  I wouldn't be surprised if I heard minimal differences between it and my Mojo or Groove - but I'm open minded.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #666 of 4,801
Yeah i noticed the same thing. Thats why the MOJO sounded so good at first, but when i auditioned them yesterday one against the other they sounded the same again. I think most of the hearing actually happens in your brain (who could deny that :D). It totally depends on the mood, the "state of consciousness" you are in if you may say so, if you are open to actually hear a difference or not.

Thats probably the reason behind people having difference headphones too. Different sound signatures for different moods.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #668 of 4,801
Would a Schiit Asgard 2 be enough to drive the DT 1990 Pro?

That's what I'm using and it sounds great -- tight, clean sound with plenty of power. I use an impedance adapter when listening with my DT 1990, which I think gives just a tiny bit more bass response (though I might be kidding myself that I can hear any difference, it's very small if anything). Overall the Asgard 2 is a great amp and I have yet to find any headphones that it doesn't do at least a decent job of driving.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #669 of 4,801
That's what I'm using and it sounds great -- tight, clean sound with plenty of power. I use an impedance adapter when listening with my DT 1990, which I think gives just a tiny bit more bass response (though I might be kidding myself that I can hear any difference, it's very small if anything). Overall the Asgard 2 is a great amp and I have yet to find any headphones that it doesn't do at least a decent job of driving.

Glad to hear it, still not fit sure that'll I'll get them but wanted be sure my amp would satisfy them.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #670 of 4,801
  I sometimes get to thinking similar thoughts, that the difference between many DACs and amps is barely audible at best - but then sometimes I can hear the difference without even trying.

For example, the other night I was listening to my Beyer Amiron through my Apogee Groove, which is known for having a good ESS Sabre DAC and for being able to power high-impedance phones.  I then decided to switch to my Chord Mojo and immediately heard a difference, bringing out greater details and more dynamics in the music.  Other times in the past, I've switched between them without perceiving much of a difference.  Maybe it's a question of which 'phones I'm using, maybe it's a question of the recording, maybe it's just a variation in my perception.

Since this is after all a thread for the DT 1990 Pro, it should be noted that one can get a different sound just by changing the pads on the headphones. It isn't hard to produce an amp that actually does sound different to others, but then that difference might have been put there by design. It could then be argued that what's the point in investing into a new amp when you could just get an equalizer and finetune the existing device to suit your taste. After all, it is electric current that we're dealing with here. Not black magic.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #672 of 4,801
Anyone get a chance to directly compare the 1990 Pro and Amiron Home? 

Check out the reviews from Headfonia

Amiron

DT1990 Pro

In the Amiron review Lieven, the reviewer, does compare the DT1990 to the Amiron. I tend to agree with Lieven more than I disagree with him on his reviews.

These reviews convinced me to go for the DT1990 over the Amiron and I'm now sure I made the right choice for me. However, it might be different for you.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #673 of 4,801
Check out the reviews from Headfonia

Amiron

DT1990 Pro

In the Amiron review Lieven, the reviewer, does compare the DT1990 to the Amiron. I tend to agree with Lieven more than I disagree with him on his reviews.

These reviews convinced me to go for the DT1990 over the Amiron and I'm now sure I made the right choice for me. However, it might be different for you.

I have an Amiron coming in and I already have a DT 1990, I'll be able to add more impressions of the two compared. Not sure if I'll end up keeping both or not.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #675 of 4,801

That would be much appreciated

Hopefully they will be here Wednesday, but I'll probably need a week with them to determine which I like more. Not sure why I keep getting the new Tesla Beyers, just like them better than anything around their price range, I have the DT 1770, DT 1990, and now the Amiron. Really like the DT 1770 and DT 1990 sound signature some reason, much more than the T1.2 and older Tesla's, the Focal Elears, and the Nighthawks(wood, haven't tried the Carbons or Nightowls), etc.. Hoping I like the Amiron just as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back