Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Sep 29, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #348 of 4,790
  The velours(especially after some compression, not as much of an issue with the DT 1990 since it uses memory foam pads) on the DT 1770 make it a bit more mid-range oriented pushing the bass and treble a bit back from the pleathers. 

I already have a DT 770 PRO LE and the DT 150. I guess an open one now would be great!

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #351 of 4,790

DT 770 is a less refined DT 1770. The treble may be excessive sometimes with my HRT microstreamer.

Ah makes sense, I've heard the DT 770 250 ohm and Premium 600 ohm, but not the other versions of it. HRT DACs can be a little much in the treble at times but overall enjoyed how they sounded, I did find the HRT MS HD I had to be the best about not going overboard with the treble, but it got replaced with the better sounding imho Sony UDA-1 for me. Will probably go for a Bifrost Multibit next, after my next amp which I haven't decided on what yet, eyeing a Lake People/Violectric amp or a nice tube amp to make the DT 1770/1990 shine.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #352 of 4,790
  Ah makes sense, I've heard the DT 770 250 ohm and Premium 600 ohm, but not the other versions of it. HRT DACs can be a little much in the treble at times but overall enjoyed how they sounded, I did find the HRT MS HD I had to be the best about not going overboard with the treble, but it got replaced with the better sounding imho Sony UDA-1 for me. Will probably go for a Bifrost Multibit next, after my next amp which I haven't decided on what yet, eyeing a Lake People/Violectric amp or a nice tube amp to make the DT 1770/1990 shine.

I enjoy microstreamer (pc/smartphone) but may be too bright in some tracks.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #353 of 4,790

DT 770 is a less refined DT 1770. The treble may be excessive sometimes with my HRT microstreamer.

The 1770 is a significant step up. I had them both together and the 770 treble was worse and annoying in comparison. The 1770 is also more spacious and open, better soundstage, better midrange, clearer and smoother. 1770 is an EXCELLENT closed back, the sound is smooth, clear, and open. Also - it sounds amazing with good recordings, but is smooth enough to work with recordings that aren't the best quality. It's got a real black, silent background.

I have a pair of DT770 (edt770vb) velour pads I'm using with them, it is similar to the stock velour pad provided, but has holes cut into the underside leather bit and I think these pads sound better than either of the two other versions provided with them.

770 was sold shortly later, easy call.

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #354 of 4,790
I disagree. DT-1770 and DT-1990 are what many beyer-treble-averse users hoped beyerdynamic would one day evolve into, which they finally did by going a little easy on treble finally and becoming more balanced....

Just what I thought beyerdynamic was trying to do. Officially announced just now: beyerdynamic Amiron

The successor to T90 by going easy on T90's original terrible treble. Bass and mids a bit more forward to make the more balanced SQ beyer's new house sound signature for both studio line and consumer line. Yay! Finally!! Way to go beyer!!

beyerdynamic Amiron

Successor to T90.
With detachable double-side cables.
Tesla 2.0 drivers.
Announced yesterday in Tokyo.
$599.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/press/press-releases/press-detail/article/amiron-home-new-at-the-tokyo-headphone-festival-2016.html

Someone create a new thread?!!

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #355 of 4,790
I'm just going to jut in here and ask if anyone has played games, specifically FPS, with the 1770 or 1990? I play a lot of CSGO and am looking for a headphone upgrade in the $600 range to replace my PC360 headset. Is the sound-stage substantially better on the 1990 than the 1770 (1990 being an open back, that's what I'd assume)? I won't mind the open back 1990 headphone, but if the closed back 1770 has good positional audio then they would be my pick.

Music-wise I'm sure both of these will please me.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #356 of 4,790
I'm just going to jut in here and ask if anyone has played games, specifically FPS, with the 1770 or 1990? I play a lot of CSGO and am looking for a headphone upgrade in the $600 range to replace my PC360 headset. Is the sound-stage substantially better on the 1990 than the 1770 (1990 being an open back, that's what I'd assume)? I won't mind the open back 1990 headphone, but if the closed back 1770 has good positional audio then they would be my pick.

Music-wise I'm sure both of these will please me.

DT 1770 has a wonderful open-back-like soundstage. Terrific for a closed can. DT 1990 seems to have an edge, though, naturally being open-back. Positional accuracy is equally good on both but you might find many choices among many other brands for the purpose. I don't know them to give a comparison. The only games I played took place in vast playgrounds. :wink:

Considered beyerdynamic MMX 300? Going for a company-discounted $280 in USA. (Maybe a successor with Tesla drivers about to be launched?) This old war horse MMX 300 is made for online gaming. Originally developed for aviation. Based on DT-880/770 housing. Solid build. Very efficient gooseneck microphone that doesn't pick up room noise. Very good positional accuracy. $280 is a very great steal.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300.html

Also available in custom-design colours:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300-manufaktur.html?SID=f2eb7a08d70a831d775608c0142e5897&___store=en&___from_store=de

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #357 of 4,790
Just what I thought beyerdynamic was trying to do. Officially announced just now: beyerdynamic Amiron

The successor to T90 by going easy on T90's original terrible treble. Bass and mids a bit more forward to make the more balanced SQ beyer's new house sound signature for both studio line and consumer line. Yay! Finally!! Way to go beyer!!

beyerdynamic Amiron

Successor to T90.
With detachable double-side cables.
Tesla 2.0 drivers.
Announced yesterday in Tokyo.
$599.

Someone create a new thread?!!

Done: http://www.head-fi.org/t/821567/beyerdynamic-amiron-home-the-new-t90

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #359 of 4,790
DT 1770 has a wonderful open-back-like soundstage. Terrific for a closed can. DT 1990 seems to have an edge, though, naturally being open-back. Positional accuracy is equally good on both but you might find many choices among many other brands for the purpose. I don't know them to give a comparison. The only games I played took place in vast playgrounds.
wink.gif

Considered beyerdynamic MMX 300? Going for a company-discounted $280 in USA. (Maybe a successor with Tesla drivers about to be launched?) This old war horse MMX 300 is made for online gaming. Originally developed for aviation. Based on DT-880/770 housing. Solid build. Very efficient gooseneck microphone that doesn't pick up room noise. Very good positional accuracy. $280 is a very great steal.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300.html

Also available in custom-design colours:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/mmx-300-manufaktur.html?SID=f2eb7a08d70a831d775608c0142e5897&___store=en&___from_store=de

I have heard of the MMX 300, but I want a standalone headphone instead of a headset. I have a stand alone microphone now and would like a really nice pair of cans to pair it with the can accommodate gaming and music. I'm going to just assume the 1770 and 1990 have way better sound quality than the MMX 300. Thank you for your input on positional audio. I'll probably go with the 1770 so I can also roll with it in class or airports as it's a closed back.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #360 of 4,790
I have heard of the MMX 300, but I want a standalone headphone instead of a headset. I have a stand alone microphone now and would like a really nice pair of cans to pair it with the can accommodate gaming and music. I'm going to just assume the 1770 and 1990 have way better sound quality than the MMX 300. Thank you for your input on positional audio. I'll probably go with the 1770 so I can also roll with it in class or airports as it's a closed back.

Yes, the SQ of DT-1990/1770 is way better than MMX-300 that is of DT-770 class. Tesla 2.0 drivers do a great job. If you want a similar Tesla drivers at similar price and similar balanced signature but with consumer-line musicality and without a microphone, you may consider the new beyerdynamic Amiron. Detachable dual-entry cables might give you a chance to go even balanced one day? Open-back, though.
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/press/press-releases/press-detail/article/amiron-home-new-at-the-tokyo-headphone-festival-2016.html

For outdoors my DT-1770 is keeping me quite happy. The all-black colour indeed makes the product seem a little smaller than what it actually is, good thing for portability-looks. You won't regret. Just buy a short 1.2mm 3td party AKG cable from Amazon for $15. The stock one runs 3 meters and has a tendency to slap owner's cheeks when being rolled or unrolled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back