Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 7, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #481 of 4,790

Been comparing the Amiron to the DT1990 all morning.
Taken on its own, the Amiron sounds great. However, switching immediately to the 1990 is like removing a thin veil. The 1990 has more sparkle, treble detail and air.

I would recommend the Amiron to someone who is treble-sensitive. Maybe it's the Beyer for people who don't usually like Beyers. Bass and low mids are pretty comparable. Amiron is lighter weight and more comfortable on the head with a bit less clamping force.

Hope this helps.

JerseyD,

Could you comment on T90 vs DT1990.

r2

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #482 of 4,790
Been comparing the Amiron to the DT1990 all morning.
Taken on its own, the Amiron sounds great. However, switching immediately to the 1990 is like removing a thin veil. The 1990 has more sparkle, treble detail and air.

I would recommend the Amiron to someone who is treble-sensitive. Maybe it's the Beyer for people who don't usually like Beyers. Bass and low mids are pretty comparable. Amiron is lighter weight and more comfortable on the head with a bit less clamping force.

Hope this helps.

I have been thinking of getting the Amiron alongside the DT 1990. Does it have the same musicality of the DT 1770/1990?

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #483 of 4,790
I have been thinking of getting the Amiron alongside the DT 1990. Does it have the same musicality of the DT 1770/1990?

That's a tough call. Depends what you mean by musicality. It is much more similar than different from the 1990, just a bit less bright and detailed. My gut is that if you had both, you would end up deciding which one you like more and then never listen to the other again. Problem there is, I don't know which one you would prefer. I am trying to decide whether to stock both models. I have the 1990 and Beyer wants me to take on the Amiron as well.  If it was for my own personal listening, I prefer the 1990. But some customers might prefer the Amiron. It's hard because I try to be very selective. Aarrgghh.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #484 of 4,790
  JerseyD,

Could you comment on T90 vs DT1990.

r2

This is from memory, because I sold my demo pair of T90 recently (although I still have one new in box I'm blowing out cheap), so take it with a grain of salt. I think the 1990 has a more fulsome bass response than the T90 had. I prefer the 1990 treble treatment to what I remember about the T90 as well.  Overall, a subtle but nice upgrade. The T90 was still quite good, especially when amped properly.  It's not a night and day difference between these two. (The new Amiron is more of a change, with tamed treble.)

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #485 of 4,790
Can the 1990 pads be used on the 1770? If yes what do they do to the sound of the 1770?
Thanks!

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #486 of 4,790

That's a tough call. Depends what you mean by musicality. It is much more similar than different from the 1990, just a bit less bright and detailed. My gut is that if you had both, you would end up deciding which one you like more and then never listen to the other again. Problem there is, I don't know which one you would prefer. I am trying to decide whether to stock both models. I have the 1990 and Beyer wants me to take on the Amiron as well.  If it was for my own personal listening, I prefer the 1990. But some customers might prefer the Amiron. It's hard because I try to be very selective. Aarrgghh.

The euphoric sweetness the DT 1770/1990 has to it's sound, I didn't really find the T1 Gen 2 to have it when I borrowed it. True, well I have been thinking of getting the Amiron for a test run, and likely selling the DT 1990 if I prefer it more, otherwise the Amiron would likely be returned.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #487 of 4,790

This is from memory, because I sold my demo pair of T90 recently (although I still have one new in box I'm blowing out cheap), so take it with a grain of salt. I think the 1990 has a more fulsome bass response than the T90 had. I prefer the 1990 treble treatment to what I remember about the T90 as well.  Overall, a subtle but nice upgrade. The T90 was still quite good, especially when amped properly.  It's not a night and day difference between these two. (The new Amiron is more of a change, with tamed treble.)

I have the T90.  After several months of use (burn) and careful tube paring ( currently ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961 ) for the Valhalla 2, I really like them.  What I am pondering, is would the DT 1990 sound similar without being so tube picky.  In other words would the DT 1990 allow more universal tubes in the Valhalla 2, thus allowing better synergy with some other headphones as well.

Thanks for your thoughts,
r2

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #488 of 4,790
I tried the DT880 and not crazy about them - a bit too thin sounding and bass light although perhaps I don't have proper amp pairing (I tried with both JDS O2 and a DragonFly Black). I don't like fit either. The pads are okay, not as pillowy and wonderful as a lot people say they are and they get a bit warm. Build quality is okay but cable is annoying.

Is the 1990 a big step up in terms of sound and comfort?

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #489 of 4,790
I tried the DT880 and not crazy about them - a bit too thin sounding and bass light although perhaps I don't have proper amp pairing (I tried with both JDS O2 and a DragonFly Black). I don't like fit either. The pads are okay, not as pillowy and wonderful as a lot people say they are and they get a bit warm. Build quality is okay but cable is annoying.

Is the 1990 a big step up in terms of sound and comfort?

As far as comfort, it is a step down from the DT 880 premium (I haven't tried the pro). There is more clamp on the 1990 and they will be just as warm. For sound, they each have pretty different sound signatures. The 1990 is more detailed and layered and has considerably more punchy low-end/bass. The DT 880 is warmer sounding, with bigger soundstage, and more natural sounding (to my ears). It wasn't just your setup, the DT 880 is a pretty bass-light can.

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #491 of 4,790
As far as comfort, it is a step down from the DT 880 premium (I haven't tried the pro). There is more clamp on the 1990 and they will be just as warm. For sound, they each have pretty different sound signatures. The 1990 is more detailed and layered and has considerably more punchy low-end/bass. The DT 880 is warmer sounding, with bigger soundstage, and more natural sounding (to my ears). It wasn't just your setup, the DT 880 is a pretty bass-light can.

Really? Dt 880 warmer sound than 1990? Hmm...

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #492 of 4,790
I have the T90.  After several months of use (burn) and careful tube paring ( currently ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961 ) for the Valhalla 2, I really like them.  What I am pondering, is would the DT 1990 sound similar without being so tube picky.  In other words would the DT 1990 allow more universal tubes in the Valhalla 2, thus allowing better synergy with some other headphones as well.

Thanks for your thoughts,
r2

Really? Dt 880 warmer sound than 1990? Hmm...

Cannot saw its any certainty that the 1990 will be more flexible with various tubes, but I would bet that it is.

The 880'is not a warm sounding headphone. Very bass-light as was just mentioned, so perhaps a different use of the word warn than most of us here might use. The 1990 is a big step up from the 880 in every way other than physical comfort. Not that it is uncofortable, but heavier than the 880 and tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back