Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus or AKG K551 or V moda m100
Sep 16, 2016 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Brinston

Head-Fier
Which of the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus, the AKG K551 and the vmoda M100 is more suitable. I mostly listen to the music like these

Massari - Brand new day
Robin shulz - Prayer in C
Pitbul ft Marc Anthony - Rain Over Me
Pitbul - Give me everything ft Neyo
R.I.O - Living in Stereo
Sunrise Inc - Mysterious Girl
R. City - Locked Away
SIA -  Cheap thrils
Ellie Goulding - Love me like you do 
and most other artists like dire straits, elton john, eric clapton, bryan adams, MLTR and Enrique Iglesias. Sometimes, very rarely though i also listen to dance, edm and dubstep.

As far as I understand my taste of music, I like a good soundstage with detailed sound and deep but not extreme bass. Overall I like the warm sound signature. I have used koss portapro in the past and absolutely love the sound.

I will be purchasing either HTC 10 or an LG v20 soon, so that will be my main source of music. Also that, I plan to use it in my college, So I am planning on getting a closed headphone. My budget is 150$.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 17
The AKG might not have enough bass for your tastes. I personally found the V-Moda M100 way too colored for my tastes, but it's a good choice if you like bass but still want decent detail out of your music. The Beyer COP+ is great if you're not sure exactly how much bass you actually want or what sound signature you like in general.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 17
  Hey tx0531, thanks for your opinion.

Can you explain what do you mean my the colored sound of M100. And how do these 3 cans compare to each other with detailing ??

By colored, I mean that the frequency response sounds unnatural and too far from neutral to my ears; the M100 is sometimes described as a basshead headphone and has as much bass as the Beyer COP+ on its maximum bass setting. The AKG will have the most detail out of the three, but many say it has too much spiky treble that sounds unnatural. The COP+ and M100 have around the same level of detail, if my memory serves me correctly.

I usually recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X as an option at this price range; it's one of the most recommended closed back headphones for around $150, and for good reason: it straddles the line between fun and neutral very well.

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 17
The reason why I am not considering ATH M50X is that, I am not certainly sure if the bass will be too overpowering for me. Thus I was considering COP since it has an adjustable bass reflex system.

Just so that you know about my preferences. I like a larger soundstage and the airy feeling of open air, but since open cans isnt an option, I would like to look for closed headphones in this price range that come closer to the feel of open headphones.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 17
  The reason why I am not considering ATH M50X is that, I am not certainly sure if the bass will be too overpowering for me. Thus I was considering COP since it has an adjustable bass reflex system.

Just so that you know about my preferences. I like a larger soundstage and the airy feeling of open air, but since open cans isnt an option, I would like to look for closed headphones in this price range that come closer to the feel of open headphones.

The V-Moda M100 has significantly more bass than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. If you want objective proof, check out the Innerfidelity Measurements page. Very few closed headphones in this price range have enough treble extension to manage an airy sound, and if they do, have other characteristics that might not be appealing to you. The AKG K550-553 series of headphones is probably the closest you're going to get to an airy sound, but as I said, they might have too little bass and too much spiky treble. If you're really all that worried about bass level, then the safe choice is the COP, but the ATH-M50X has better detail resolution and better balance than most of the COP's bass settings.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 17
oh, Thanks for the tip.

I was assuming that the M50x is meant for bassheads, and since I am not one of them, I outright rejected it.

Also, have you heard about ultrasone pro 550? Any opinion about the sound signature?

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 17

The V-Moda M100 has significantly more bass than the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. If you want objective proof, check out the Innerfidelity Measurements page. Very few closed headphones in this price range have enough treble extension to manage an airy sound, and if they do, have other characteristics that might not be appealing to you. The AKG K550-553 series of headphones is probably the closest you're going to get to an airy sound, but as I said, they might have too little bass and too much spiky treble. If you're really all that worried about bass level, then the safe choice is the COP, but the ATH-M50X has better detail resolution and better balance than most of the COP's bass settings.

oh, Thanks for the tip.

I was assuming that the M50x is meant for bassheads, and since I am not one of them, I outright rejected it.

Also, have you heard about ultrasone pro 550? Any opinion about the sound signature?

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 17
  oh, Thanks for the tip.

The measurements for the Ultrasone Pro 550 look absolutely terrible; rolled off bass, bumpy frequency response curve, and extremely spiky treble. I would avoid it and most Ultrasones in general. Just so you know, my first jump into quality headphones was the Ultrasone HFI-780, which is also around your price range, and even though I didn't know much about headphones then, I knew after several hours that they were not good at all, and I ended up returning them for the Beyer COP.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 17

The measurements for the Ultrasone Pro 550 look absolutely terrible; rolled off bass, bumpy frequency response curve, and extremely spiky treble. I would avoid it and most Ultrasones in general. Just so you know, my first jump into quality headphones was the Ultrasone HFI-780, which is also around your price range, and even though I didn't know much about headphones then, I knew after several hours that they were not good at all, and I ended up returning them for the Beyer COP.

Oh nice to know that.

I have previously owned ath ws 55 and I felt the bass was too overpowering. So I am not really sure if ATH will be a good choice again.

Anyways, what would be your choice for the music in between COP and M50x or any other cans of your choice in this price range for the music I have listed above.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 17
  Oh nice to know that.

I have previously owned ath ws 55 and I felt the bass was too overpowering. So I am not really sure if ATH will be a good choice again.

Anyways, what would be your choice for the music in between COP and M50x or any other cans of your choice in this price range for the music I have listed above.

If you're not entirely sure what your sound signature preferences are, get the COP; otherwise, if close to neutral while still reasonably fun-sounding appeals to you, get the ATH-M50X. Just because you listen to certain types of music doesn't mean you'll like a certain sound signature, so I don't recommend headphones to people based on the music they listen to, but rather based on what sound signature they like.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 17

If you're not entirely sure what your sound signature preferences are, get the COP; otherwise, if close to neutral while still reasonably fun-sounding appeals to you, get the ATH-M50X. Just because you listen to certain types of music doesn't mean you'll like a certain sound signature, so I don't recommend headphones to people based on the music they listen to, but rather based on what sound signature they like.

I was just looking through a few reviews of M50x and a few seem to suggest the beyerdynamic dt 770 32 ohm over it. What would be your opinion about these? Seems like they even have more comfortable earpads too.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 17
  I was just looking through a few reviews of M50x and a few seem to suggest the beyerdynamic dt 770 32 ohm over it. What would be your opinion about these? Seems like they even have more comfortable earpads too.

Most variants of the DT770 are more V-shaped than the ATH-M50X; that means it will have more bass and treble, which is usually pretty spiky on Beyer DT770/880/990 series headphones. Some people like more V-shaped signatures, which is why those people prefer the DT770 to the ATH-M50X. Only you can determine whether a more V-Shaped sound signature is something you like. The earpads on the DT770 are velour, which once again, some people really like the comfort of. Personally, I don't like velour around my ears; it feels itchy to me.

One consideration is that the ATH-M50X is more portable than the DT770, since it folds and the DT770 doesn't.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 17

Most variants of the DT770 are more V-shaped than the ATH-M50X; that means it will have more bass and treble, which is usually pretty spiky on Beyer DT770/880/990 series headphones. Some people like more V-shaped signatures, which is why those people prefer the DT770 to the ATH-M50X. Only you can determine whether a more V-Shaped sound signature is something you like. The earpads on the DT770 are velour, which once again, some people really like the comfort of. Personally, I don't like velour around my ears; it feels itchy to me.

One consideration is that the ATH-M50X is more portable than the DT770, since it folds and the DT770 doesn't.

Being portable and having a detachable cable is indeed a benefit.

Can you tell me how can i evaluate the innerfidelity measurements. Since I see that, among dt770 portapro M50x and m100, beyerdynamic has the frequency responce closest to zero and that m50x and portapro has similar frequency responce (so similar signature ??)

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #15 of 17
  Being portable and having a detachable cable is indeed a benefit.

Can you tell me how can i evaluate the innerfidelity measurements. Since I see that, among dt770 portapro M50x and m100, beyerdynamic has the frequency responce closest to zero and that m50x and portapro has similar frequency responce (so similar signature ??)

Innerfidelity has a series of very helpful articles on how to interpret their measurements:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements-explained

Keep in mind that the Harman Target Response Curve mentioned in the articles is not necessarily a frequency response you will like, although many people hear it as quite neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back