Beyerdynamic black velour pads sound different from their classic silver velour pads?
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple months ago, I picked up a set of 80 ohm “black edition” Beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones (supposed to be the same as their regular 80 ohm version, just with black velour earpads, and silver lettering instead of white).

I got to comparing it against a regular 80 ohm set, and noticed that the earpads seem to have a different density to them (not as dense as the silver ones ), and the velour seems to be a different feel (not as plush feeling as the silvers) and they seem to sound warmer, and less defined than the silver velour pads.

Anyone else notice this about the Beyer black velour pads? I’ve read that the EDT 990V pads are less dense than the EDT 770V pads, I’m wondering if the DT770 “Black Edition” pads are essentially black versions of the EDT 990 pads? At the very least, they seem to use the same foam in them, as the density seems noticeably different than the EDT 770V pads.

I think I’m going to order a set of the standard silver velour pads and swap them out. Would love to know others’ thoughts on this.

Dec 4, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 8
A couple months ago, I picked up a set of 80 ohm “black edition” Beyerdynamic DT 770 headphones (supposed to be the same as their regular 80 ohm version, just with black velour earpads, and silver lettering instead of white).

I got to comparing it against a regular 80 ohm set, and noticed that the earpads seem to have a different density to them (not as dense as the silver ones ), and the velour seems to be a different feel (not as plush feeling as the silvers) and they seem to sound warmer, and less defined than the silver velour pads.

Anyone else notice this about the Beyer black velour pads? I’ve read that the EDT 990V pads are less dense than the EDT 770V pads, I’m wondering if the DT770 “Black Edition” pads are essentially black versions of the EDT 990 pads? At the very least, they seem to use the same foam in them, as the density seems noticeably different than the EDT 770V pads.

I think I’m going to order a set of the standard silver velour pads and swap them out. Would love to know others’ thoughts on this.
Best way to confirm is measure both pads on same headphones. Color of the pads can effect people's perception, especially if one is black and one is white.

If the thickness of pads is different, then they will most certainly sound different due to distance to the ear being different. Changing distance of the ear from the speaker changes the sound.

Welcome to the world of pad swapping and how pad changes the sound.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 8
I'd definitely agree with the pads feeling different with some replacement black pads not feeling as 'plush/soft' as the grey ones. Although, I have some black pads now that have worn in a bit and they feel much closer to how the new grey ones felt.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd definitely agree with the pads feeling different with some replacement black pads not feeling as 'plush/soft' as the grey ones. Although, I have some black pads now that have worn in a bit and they feel much closer to how the new grey ones felt.

Are the black pads that you are using the official Beyerdynamic ones?

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 8
I may take the black velour pads and wash them a couple times, see if that loosens up and changes how the fabric feels. Not sure if that will make a difference in the sound, as it won’t change the density of the foam, but I’ll give it a shot!

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 8
I've seen this discussed in-depth at a couple of other forums, regarding the DT 880 and 990 black special editions and the general consensus seems to be that they lead to a warmer tuning.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I've seen this discussed in-depth at a couple of other forums, regarding the DT 880 and 990 black special editions and the general consensus seems to be that they lead to a warmer tuning.

The DT 880 and the DT 880 black edition actually measure differently and it’s not just the pads. The black pads may not be different as the grey pads used in the measurements are older and may have some age related wear on them so it just confirms the black editions are tuned differently (mids and treble measures differently) but doesn’t confirm whether the pads are different when new as age is a factor.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/dt880-black-se/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back