Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless - New ear pads to improve bass?
Jan 11, 2019 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tkirt84

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've just got a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless headphones. This is my first day of using them, and lots I like about them, but my first impression was I like the sound in general, but umm, where's the bass?

At first I thought maybe it was to due with the compression as they are wireless, but wiring them in didn't improve the presence of low bass either, in fact didn't notice much difference in quality at all, which I guess is a good thing as I got them to use wirelessly. I've downloaded an EQ app for my mac which is what I'm running them from and if I use that to boost up the low end I can hear the low end of tracks better - the headphones clearly don't have an issue producing the bass its just currently quieter compared to the mids and highs of the rest of the track.

After playing with that EQ I've noticed quite how much difference there is to the sound when I press the cups onto my head more - there's some of the bass I've been missing, its been there all the time!.. Trouble is having to use both hands to press the cups into my ears all the time is going to make pretty much all other aspects of my day pretty rubbish, not least because people will be constantly staring...

Anyway, now I'm sure there is an argument, that because they are still basically brand new I should give it time for the ear cups to potentially adjust to the shape of my head better, but I can't instantly work out where the fit is incorrect, I can't feel any 'gaps' or anything, but clearly a tighter fit produces a better sound.

I know there's quite a few posts mentioning different ear pads, but does anyone know specifically of replacement ear pads that would fit the Amiron's and also that are designed to improve the fit, thus improving the bass levels?

Thanks for reading.
Tim

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 17
Anybody?

Just got Amiron Wireless today and noticed the same problem. They sound really good so long as they have a good seal. Unfortunately for me they do not seal very well, a) the yolks do not allow enough movement so there is too much pressure at the top of the earpad, and a rather large gap at the bottom of the earpad, and b) they use cheap foam that is too hard.

I think they could really use a nice quality memory foam pleather aftermarket earpads, it would also help if those earpads were thicker at the bottom. Does anyone know of a suitable aftermaket replacement?

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 17
Well, I couldn't wait so I ordered Brainwavz regular size memory foam ear pads from Amazon for $23 yesterday. They came today, I installed them and I'm pleased to say they bring much needed improvement to Amiron Wireless. Isolation is much improved, I can finally hear the base, they actually sound like decent headphones now.

They still put disproportionally more pressure on the top of the ear pads as opposed to the bottom because yokes do not allow for enough movement, but at least with memory foam earpads it's bearable. I still think it's an issue for long term listening so I'm going to try and bend yokes to relieve pressure on the top of earpads.

I cannot believe how Beyerdynamics managed to overlook such basic thing as earpad angle range and earpad comfort and isolation. Did they really not do any user testing at all?

Feb 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 17
Well, I couldn't wait so I ordered Brainwavz regular size memory foam ear pads from Amazon for $23 yesterday. They came today, I installed them and I'm pleased to say they bring much needed improvement to Amiron Wireless. Isolation is much improved, I can finally hear the base, they actually sound like decent headphones now.

They still put disproportionally more pressure on the top of the ear pads as opposed to the bottom because yokes do not allow for enough movement, but at least with memory foam earpads it's bearable. I still think it's an issue for long term listening so I'm going to try and bend yokes to relieve pressure on the top of earpads.

I cannot believe how Beyerdynamics managed to overlook such basic thing as earpad angle range and earpad comfort and isolation. Did they really not do any user testing at all?

Ah thats cool that you've noticed an improvement..

I was recommended some Dekoni sheepskin pads which I was interested in, but have so far been waiting a bit longer because of the price of them.. still paying for the headphones themselves.. the price of those Brainwavz ones is certainly a bit more reasonable so maybe I'll try them instead..

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 17
Ah thats cool that you've noticed an improvement..

I was recommended some Dekoni sheepskin pads which I was interested in, but have so far been waiting a bit longer because of the price of them.. still paying for the headphones themselves.. the price of those Brainwavz ones is certainly a bit more reasonable so maybe I'll try them instead..
It's not just an improvement. The aftermarket pads is what made the difference between keeping these headphones and sending them back. That's how awful the stock pads are. As I said, I cannot believe folks at Beyerdynamics listened to stock pads in user testing and thought yeah, that sounds good.

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 17
Hi I join this conversation to share my experience. I had tried long time ago Amiron Wireless and had to return them back because the sound was bit 'boxy' not sure how to say it but the mids / bass did non sound right to me. Mind you I'm a big fan of beyerdynamic Tesla transducers, I own T1 and xelento wireless
and tried next to them they definitely did not sound right and I had them sent back. Recently I have purchased again Amiron Wireless Copper purely for the beautiful look (I now live in Germany for work and it's free shipping/returns) and when experienced same problem I've asked myself how's possible for such praised set of headphones to have such poor sound
Then I thought it might be 'me' or the not perfect seal so I tried to push then against my head and effectively noticed the sound improved. I then tried few beyer pads I had in house, i.e. T1 1st gen, but they killed completely the bass..then I tried EDT 770 V and bingo! The sound changed completely and it's like actually very good or at least to my
liking. Mind you i don't like big bass but now the sound is coherent. I don't believe they have tested these headphones with the pads they come with, hard to believe this from a company like beyerdynamic

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 17
Hi I join this conversation to share my experience. I had tried long time ago Amiron Wireless and had to return them back because the sound was bit 'boxy' not sure how to say it but the mids / bass did non sound right to me. Mind you I'm a big fan of beyerdynamic Tesla transducers, I own T1 and xelento wireless
and tried next to them they definitely did not sound right and I had them sent back. Recently I have purchased again Amiron Wireless Copper purely for the beautiful look (I now live in Germany for work and it's free shipping/returns) and when experienced same problem I've asked myself how's possible for such praised set of headphones to have such poor sound
Then I thought it might be 'me' or the not perfect seal so I tried to push then against my head and effectively noticed the sound improved. I then tried few beyer pads I had in house, i.e. T1 1st gen, but they killed completely the bass..then I tried EDT 770 V and bingo! The sound changed completely and it's like actually very good or at least to my
liking. Mind you i don't like big bass but now the sound is coherent. I don't believe they have tested these headphones with the pads they come with, hard to believe this from a company like beyerdynamic

+1
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-amiron-wireless.869613/page-27#post-15240520

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 17
I came across this thread today trying to figure out why my new Amirons didn’t feel right. You guys got me in the right direction, but for anyone else having this problem try this: bend the yoke *slightly and gently* right above the Y on each side. From the factory there is already a slight kink, and if you bent it just another 2° the earpads seal properly and the whole headphone fits better. Sorry to revive this old AF thread, but the Amiron is a great set and deserves to fit properly.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 17
I came across this thread today trying to figure out why my new Amirons didn’t feel right. You guys got me in the right direction, but for anyone else having this problem try this: bend the yoke *slightly and gently* right above the Y on each side. From the factory there is already a slight kink, and if you bent it just another 2° the earpads seal properly and the whole headphone fits better. Sorry to revive this old AF thread, but the Amiron is a great set and deserves to fit properly.
I'm here to dig this up again. Just wanna ask if bending the yoke fixed the seal issue for you, or did you still have to buy an angled pad in addition?

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm here to dig this up again. Just wanna ask if bending the yoke fixed the seal issue for you, or did you still have to buy an angled pad in additiow

worked a treat for me, I've been using them ever since and with both factory and dekoni pads they seal beautifully. It does not take much!!!!! just a couple degrees on each side and they feel just like every other Beyer. I can post a pic if you'd like to see where I landed.

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 17
worked a treat for me, I've been using them ever since and with both factory and dekoni pads they seal beautifully. It does not take much!!!!! just a couple degrees on each side and they feel just like every other Beyer. I can post a pic if you'd like to see where I landed.
Yes pleaseeee. I'm on holiday so haven't received the headphone itself yet, but I fully expect that there'll be a fit issue with my relatively small head.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 17
Yes pleaseeee. I'm on holiday so haven't received the headphone itself yet, but I fully expect that there'll be a fit issue with my relatively small head. I got it for £200 btw, which I guess is a good price

Bear in mind I have amiron home but the yokes are identical and clearly so is the issue.

Attachments

• 0E31BC7C-5BA5-4C6D-A425-A903ABFE17EA.jpeg
    0E31BC7C-5BA5-4C6D-A425-A903ABFE17EA.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 17
Hi,

I've just got a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless headphones. This is my first day of using them, and lots I like about them, but my first impression was I like the sound in general, but umm, where's the bass?

At first I thought maybe it was to due with the compression as they are wireless, but wiring them in didn't improve the presence of low bass either, in fact didn't notice much difference in quality at all, which I guess is a good thing as I got them to use wirelessly. I've downloaded an EQ app for my mac which is what I'm running them from and if I use that to boost up the low end I can hear the low end of tracks better - the headphones clearly don't have an issue producing the bass its just currently quieter compared to the mids and highs of the rest of the track.

After playing with that EQ I've noticed quite how much difference there is to the sound when I press the cups onto my head more - there's some of the bass I've been missing, its been there all the time!.. Trouble is having to use both hands to press the cups into my ears all the time is going to make pretty much all other aspects of my day pretty rubbish, not least because people will be constantly staring...

Anyway, now I'm sure there is an argument, that because they are still basically brand new I should give it time for the ear cups to potentially adjust to the shape of my head better, but I can't instantly work out where the fit is incorrect, I can't feel any 'gaps' or anything, but clearly a tighter fit produces a better sound.

I know there's quite a few posts mentioning different ear pads, but does anyone know specifically of replacement ear pads that would fit the Amiron's and also that are designed to improve the fit, thus improving the bass levels?

Thanks for reading.
Tim
I bent the ear frames in some on my wireless Amiron's, and it made a very minute change in bass; however, I installed Dekoni leather on them, and they sound great. They sound just like the T-5 third Generation, with good bass response, and it darkens them up a little. I love the way they sound now. Just like T-5's 3GEN wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back