Beyerdynamic A20 With Beyerdynamic t1 , what do you think , do i need a DAC too ?
Jan 24, 2016 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
hello everyone , after gathering information from helping people , and based on what is available in my country 
i decided to buy a Beyerdynamic t1 with this amp : Beyerdynamic A20 
also i have to mention that this amp was the best option i had ,the other options was : PreSonus HP4 , PreSonus HP60 , Beyerdynamic A 200 p , FiiO E12A and a MUCH more expensive amp Beyerdynamic  A2 which is very expensive that i cannot afford
so i think beyerdynamic a20 is the best option i have

my question is what do you think about this purchase ? does it worth it ? will i notice a big difference from my denon d2000 with FiiO E10 amp ? ( which is kinda broken too )

also DO i need a DAC too ? i'm not very familiar with different formats but i mainly use mp3 , i don't know where should i get the more professional formats so i need a help with that too ! also why would i buy a DAC with this ? what does it do ?

also i should mention again that i'm not a music producer or anything , i'm just a big fan of every genre of music , and i want the best experience with music after my stressing days , so i'm not very familiar with professional stuff , i just want a great relaxing experience  after i come home from a stressing job , also i mostly listen to pop , trance ,dance ,house , hip hop and rap .

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Good luck with your search. It is very hard when looking for new headphones and set ups to tick your boxes.

If you haven't already ask these questions in the t1 thread. I would assume your get a pit of good experience there from members with the t1 and various gear they use.

I've spoken to a number of members who prefer the t1 over the hd800 and one view is that it presents the musically nicely spaced around you rather than immediately in front of you.

There has also been a new version of the t1 relatively recently so you may find the older (version 1) t1 discounted around the place or in the classifieds.

( I believe there's even been an earlier version a few years back but that's another story and not part of v1 v the new v2).

Also don't forget you can always improve your dac and amp later on and build your system around your headphones. I did with my hd800.

Also don't forget the dt880's if you want a great value cheaper headphone to build a system now.

Another angle of advice, which I resisted, would be to not go high end til you have more experience with midfi and you better know what you really like and don't really like.

Good luck.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 12
Good luck with your search. It is very hard when looking for new headphones and set ups to tick your boxes.

If you haven't already ask these questions in the t1 thread. I would assume your get a pit of good experience there from members with the t1 and various gear they use.

I've spoken to a number of members who prefer the t1 over the hd800 and one view is that it presents the musically nicely spaced around you rather than immediately in front of you.

There has also been a new version of the t1 relatively recently so you may find the older (version 1) t1 discounted around the place or in the classifieds.

( I believe there's even been an earlier version a few years back but that's another story and not part of v1 v the new v2).

Also don't forget you can always improve your dac and amp later on and build your system around your headphones. I did with my hd800.

Also don't forget the dt880's if you want a great value cheaper headphone to build a system now.

Another angle of advice, which I resisted, would be to not go high end til you have more experience with midfi and you better know what you really like and don't really like.

Good luck.

well considering that i already have a denon d2000 i don't think buying a dt880 is very good since i don't think i would notice a big difference , would i ? 
also based on the prices in my country if i buy a t1 and a a20 amp , it would be equal to cost of buying a HD800 ! ( so its either a single HD800 or T1 with A20 amp )so do you think will i notice a big change or enjoy musics a lot more if i buy a t1 and A20 together ? ( i know its based on the person's opinion but if you yourslef jumped from denon d2000 to a T1 with a A20 amp , will you notice a big change in musics ? )

also do i need a DAC with that as well  ? if yes then which dac do i need , and does it make any difference while listening to musics in normal formats like mp3 ?

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 12
well considering that i already have a denon d2000 i don't think buying a dt880 is very good since i don't think i would notice a big difference , would i ? 
also based on the prices in my country if i buy a t1 and a a20 amp , it would be equal to cost of buying a HD800 ! ( so its either a single HD800 or T1 with A20 amp )so do you think will i notice a big change or enjoy musics a lot more if i buy a t1 and A20 together ? ( i know its based on the person's opinion but if you yourslef jumped from denon d2000 to a T1 with a A20 amp , will you notice a big change in musics ? )

also do i need a DAC with that as well  ? if yes then which dac do i need , and does it make any difference while listening to musics in normal formats like mp3 ?
I can't help much with these questions as I haven't lived with the t1 or listened to it for long periods.

Nor have I heard the d2000 or know anything about the better amp so I'm pretty useless.

I do however know the t1 and hd800 are both regarded as great (long standing) quality headphones with some similarity in their offerings.

The t1 thread I hope will help you out with dac questions without recommending you spend $4000 on a dac.

The modi and o2 dacs are good starting point dacs. I did have the o2 but as I went up in $$ so did the detail and layering. I owned the arcam irdac (they are about to release a new one with an inbuilt amp) and I thought that was good bang for back up in mid fi area. Slightly warm with nice mids - you can probably look and wait for a second hand one for about $300 - $400 USD if that profile suits your needs.

Maybe also look at info/threads on the audio gd dac/amp combos -,they have a strong following and are usually neutral-warm in profile and that might work nicely with the t1

Could very much be worth your while keeping an eye in the classifieds for a suitable dac. That plan has worked for me in the past for both dacs and solid state amps

Again, sorry I can't be too specific

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 12
  so they  told me that a t1 with a A20 amp is enough and i don't need a DAC as well
do you guys agree ? do i need a DAC with a T1 headphone and A20 amp ?

I think the A20 is an excellent amp for most Beyerdynamic headphones and works well with the T1 (which, in my opinion, likes the higher output impedance that the A20 has). Depending on your source you might want to take a look at simple DAC options, e.g. the Dragonfly in case you want to upgrade from a simple on-board sound card in a computer.

I think the choice of headphones is more dependent on your taste than the choice of solid state amps, so I'd start out with a good headphone (though the already mentioned DT880 is a very good alternative for substantially less money), choose a good amp thats electrically sufficient to drive your choice of headphones (T1 has a 600Ohm impedance, some portable amps may not be that happy with that load) and a simple DAC.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 12
can someoen teach me about the 100mV@600ohm meaning ? i don't even know what does that mean

but is it good ? because i saw this 100mV@600ohm in reviews of using A20 with t1 , like it provides 100mV @ 600ohm or something ( i hope i dont sound stupid !)

can someone explain this to me and tell that is it good or not ?

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 12
  can someoen teach me about the 100mV@600ohm meaning ? i don't even know what does that mean

but is it good ? because i saw this 100mV@600ohm in reviews of using A20 with t1 , like it provides 100mV @ 600ohm or something ( i hope i dont sound stupid !)

can someone explain this to me and tell that is it good or not ?

I think you're talking about the power rating of the A20, which is actually 100mW @600Ohm. Sometimes output is specified as voltage though, which can be calculated to power). Since the T1.2 has an SPL of 102dB @1mW, 100mW are plenty to kill your hearing: you would reach about 120dB.

The A20 is powerful enough to drive the T1 for sure. the T1 (old and new) are quite efficient and don't need much power, just a stable amp that can drive its 600Ohm load.

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 12

I think you're talking about the power rating of the A20, which is actually 100mW @600Ohm. Sometimes output is specified as voltage though, which can be calculated to power). Since the T1.2 has an SPL of 102dB @1mW, 100mW are plenty to kill your hearing: you would reach about 120dB.

The A20 is powerful enough to drive the T1 for sure. the T1 (old and new) are quite efficient and don't need much power, just a stable amp that can drive its 600Ohm load.

also what is the difference between the old t1 and the new one ? any difference in sound quality or anything ?

because the new ones are not available in my country , is there a big difference ? 

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #10 of 12
  also what is the difference between the old t1 and the new one ? any difference in sound quality or anything ?

because the new ones are not available in my country , is there a big difference ? 

The new T1 (which I call T1.2) has slightly smoother treble and a touch more bass, its headband is not leather anymore and the pads use a new material which feels softer than the old pads. It also features a detachable cable and a hardcase thats not too big.

The original T1 came with a rather large aluminium box that was more suitable for storage than transportation. Its cable was not detachable. Still I like it a bit better... but thats a matter of taste (as so many things related to headphones and sound). This version is no longer being produced, so you can only get it used (or maybe some left-over unit somewhere).

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 12

The new T1 (which I call T1.2) has slightly smoother treble and a touch more bass, its headband is not leather anymore and the pads use a new material which feels softer than the old pads. It also features a detachable cable and a hardcase thats not too big.

The original T1 came with a rather large aluminium box that was more suitable for storage than transportation. Its cable was not detachable. Still I like it a bit better... but thats a matter of taste (as so many things related to headphones and sound). This version is no longer being produced, so you can only get it used (or maybe some left-over unit somewhere).

also is there a way to make sure its a original version of t1 (old one ) and not fake or used ? i mean a mark or something that only the original ones have

or like does it have a unique serial number for every headphone like HD800 that can be proved through their website ?

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 12
  also is there a way to make sure its a original version of t1 (old one ) and not fake or used ? i mean a mark or something that only the original ones have

or like does it have a unique serial number for every headphone like HD800 that can be proved through their website ?

Sorry, I don't know about any special marking... though I've not heard of fakes either. The original T1 comes in a rather large aluminium box, uses a quite thick cable that has the manufacturer 'Sommer Cable' printed on it, has a black Neutrik jack and a real leather headband. On the gimbals there is a "T1" cutout, on the inner side of the left end of the headband there's a unique serial (5-digit). I don't know of any way to prove authenticity.

The cups have a faint Beyerdynamic logo on the mesh, but I've heard of cases where this was worn off and more or less invisible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back