Beyerdynamic 880 differences?
Dec 15, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 880's are non musical & very uninvolving/boring.. Great for examining music & taking notes, but for pure audio enjoyment I'd look else where.. The 880's really shine for gaming & movies.. I am impressed with the bass.. It's very deceptive, it sounds like it's going to be soft & light, then boom you feel the weight of the impact.. I favor the bass on the 880's more then my other headphones. Very unique.. The 880's are still great headphones, regardless..

Thanks for that, but I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree!! I didn't JUST decide on the DT880. I have listened to a LOT of headphones over the last long while as I was saving up for this purchase. I am so drawn to the DT880 I almost can't explain it. I think I am just an analytical person. When I hear things like lips sticking together, a dropped set of keys in the audience, etc I feel all rosy inside! With this headphone I hear those things without trying, and that's part of my love affair with them. When I listened to the DT770 I didn't get the same feeling. I still really want a pair of DT770s because I do love their sound too, but on a smaller scale in terms of listening time. So, for this set, I was looking for something I could listen to with my eyes closed and hear fingers sticking to harp strings, etc... I think this is the right way to go! And I wouldn't call that type of listening boring (for me, in my humble opinion
wink.gif
)!!!!

Thanks again everyone. I cannot wait to hear my own set instead of a demo pair in a store!!

PS Any one here listen to Blackmore's night ever? I cannot wait to hear Writing On The Wall when I get the DT880s.

Dec 15, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 23
@blizzard60, I agree with you. The '05 DT880 is in no way boring to me too. I just love the way it sounds. To me it sounds sooo sweet, I'd say the music coming from it was like candy floss. Very detailed and oh so light and delicate. Its like the music is on the tip of its toes.
I'm saving up for a pair of 600 ohm DT880. I hope I can get it by the end of next year.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #18 of 23
Oooooh, 600 ohm!!! That's the way I was planning on going because I am amping them right off the start, however, I came across the great deal in the for sale forum for a pair of recabled and balanced 250s, and I know I am going to be super happy with those!!

You summed up much more succinctly what I was trying to say!! I am just pissing myself waiting for mine!!

Cheers,
-Chris

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

The 880's are non musical & very uninvolving/boring..

Personally, nowadays I would give that title to K701. Most lifeless and uninvolving headphone that I have heard so far. After that DT880 is super exciting with its sparkle and way more realistic feeling bass.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #20 of 23
hmm.... people keep mentioing DT880's bass. I am listening my new DT880 as I'm writing this post, but I CAN'T perceive any, comparing to HD6x0 and SA5000. DT880's bass is VERY light in weight and limited in extension IMO. Then the highs are a bit over emphasized for sure, some female vocals have severe sibliance, again comparing to HD6x0 and SA5000.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm.... people keep mentioing DT880's bass. I am listening my new DT880 as I'm writing this post, but I CAN'T perceive any, comparing to HD6x0 and SA5000. DT880's bass is VERY light in weight and limited in extension IMO. Then the highs are a bit over emphasized for sure, some female vocals have severe sibliance, again comparing to HD6x0 and SA5000.

Cuz they ARE bass light headphones, sort of. For example, HD580/HD600 which also have rather flat frequency response, they have bit dipped treble and fuller sound so bass is more prominent compared to rest of frequencies. DT880 in the other hand has spikier treble and more clarity oriented sound so bass is less prominent. Its all there though and in damn good quality. If the songs which you have are mixed with strong bass, they play it all though they still wont rattle your head. You can always EQ more too, DT880 handles it quite well. Frequencies below 100Hz are rather weak in DT880, so try them.

Dunno about SA5000, but I heard it has punchy bass like Grados.

Dec 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We have the same headphones.. The 880's.. There is definite weight & impact but its very different then the 650's/sa5000.. They are more delicate in that sense. The bass comes off light & a tad floaty at the beggining, then all of a sudden you feel the weight & slam at the conclusion.

& I do enjoy the 880's for music I just can't get lost in the music like my 650's..

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass comes off light & a tad floaty at the beggining, then all of a sudden you feel the weight & slam at the conclusion..

2x... DT880 are not behind K340 in bass extension and weight.. for classical I prefer DT880 with it´s soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back