Beyerdynamic 250 ohm extension cable *help*
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SKilleT

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have 250 version of Beyerdynamic DT770 with COILED cable.

My computer is under the desk and I really in need of an extension cable so I just want to know is there any specific cable requirements for my Beyer ? 

What is the best cable without losing the sound quality ?

I will use an extension cable from 6~10 foot long.

I saw checked Radioshack and they have a cable for $8 LOL but I didn't buy it because I think it's low quality.

Then I went to the nearest Guitar center and they gave me a Mogami cable for $60 !!!

Okay now I don't know what to do.

Also, will I have to get a cable to match the impedance of my headphones ? 

Please help and recommend me some. 

It's much preferably to buy from Amazon or just give me brand names or info about the best cable.

THANK YOU !

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 13
The 250Ω refers to the impedence of the driver, not the cable.  As long as you're not running a 50ft extension (or something ridiculous like that) you'll be fine.  Just find one you like.  The monoprice cables are pretty sturdy and inexpensive.  It's the only reason I recommended that one, but you have countless options.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #6 of 13
I just bought a 6 feat Premium Monoprice on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K839TO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully I wont lose sound quality :frowning2:

EDIT: I forgot to say THANK YOU !

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 13
Its a hard call between budget and overkill.

If you were to make your own, you could get some shielded 2 core cable (like Mogami) for about $5 pm, then $4 minijack connectors. All done for about $15.

To find a similar product on the shelf should cost 2-10 times more.

The biggest issue is likely inferior shielding, poor quality jacks or thin cores (I use 24AWG, but 26AWG should be unnoticeable as well.

Something to consider is recabling your cans, the stock cable on the 770's (straight) was very thin. You could think about making a longer cable yourself to avoid the extension. Lots of threads on recabling if you are interested.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 13
Well, the one I bought is 22AWG.

Also, Mogami 10 feet is for $64.99 at the near Guitar Center LOL ? its 10 times more than what I paid for but hopefully I made a good choice.

Add to that, I couldn't find anything in their website to allow me to make my own cable.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Well, the one I bought is 22AWG.

Also, Mogami 10 feet is for $64.99 at the near Guitar Center LOL ? its 10 times more than what I paid for but hopefully I made a good choice.

Add to that, I couldn't find anything in their website to allow me to make my own cable.

No he literally meant you would be putting the cable together.  Like buying wire, connectors, and soldering yourself.  The cable you bought will be fine.  

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKilleT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hopefully I wont lose sound quality :frowning2:

The high impedance of your headphones is actually a good thing here, because it means they are less sensitive to cable resistance. I have seen poor quality "no name" extension cables with a few Ω of resistance per wire; for something like an IEM, that could be a real problem, but 250 Ω headphones sound the same even with such a bad cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back