Beyer T1 vs. Beyer T 1 (2nd Gen) + Vali 2?
Apr 27, 2016 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nintendork

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm seriously considering the Beyerdynamic T1 as my next headphone but had a few questions first. To start, I know they released a 2nd Generation model (T 1) and now the 1st Gens are pretty cheap. I wanted to make sure however, that there are no glaring issues with the 1st Gen that would make them better to avoid. I also would love to keep my purchase under $800 total and need an amp. I can get new T1s for $600 and used for a little less, and so I was looking at the Vali 2 to drive them, as that amp is under $200 and features a tube. Would this be suitable or would I be better off saving longer for a beefier amp.

One last side note: Do I need a dedicated DAC? I have a very high end computer as a source that has a dedicated sound chip, but I know that's a bit of a no no here. If I should buy a DAC, could I get away with a Magni/Modi Combo, even for a beefy 600ohm headphone?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 3
I owned the T1(1st gen) for two years,coupled it with a Woo Audio WA2,and it was a very nice combo...the tubes smoothed the highs a bit,and gave it a pretty wide soundstage.

The Magni is not adequate to drive the T1 to flagship level performance...it will drive it,but the results will not reflect your investment.

Compared to my other headphones I would say that T1s are quite revealing,merciless on poor recordings,and left me wanting more meat in the bass region.If youre not used to the Beyer house sound you might find them bright,esp if you try to drive them with a solid state amp.

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 3
I agree with all monsterzero said except for wanting more meat in the bass region. In my opinion the quantity is just right a lot of the time. Not for genres that call for pounding like house or rap etc. For those defintitely look to other headphones like for example the Fostex's.

If you haven't already, search or ask in the T1 Gen2 (and Vali 2) thread. As always there's people who prefer one over the other. The T1 Gen1 isn't always pretty in the high frequency but maybe there's no issue to be heard for you. Gen2 is supposed to provide more of the meat.

The T1 really deserves a decent amp. If you're nice with a soldering iron I once again recommend the Bottlehead Crack starting at $300. Afterwards you can install the Speedball upgrade. Or look at the used market which saves bucks and can pretty much give you the ''new'' experience for all you're currently interested in.

Given your situation my recommendation for a DAC is to start bottom bracket if only to hear if there's differences with your computer chip. When there's more money and more desire (lol) move on up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back