Beyer Pads
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

JonM

100+ Head-Fier
Sep 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to order them directly for the manufacturer?

The second link you provided is directly from the manufacturer. That's Beyerdynamic's official website.

As far as I know the only way to get them cheaper is to wait for a used pair to come around in the buy/sell forum. But I find that they're mostly packaged with headphones for sale so I don't know if that will help you out very much.

Scott

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingmajix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The second link you provided is directly from the manufacturer. That's Beyerdynamic's official website.

Scott

What I was getting at was ordering over the phone, or something.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

What I was getting at was ordering over the phone, or something.

I tried calling Beyerdynamic USA for replacement velour pads a few months ago, and the woman who answered somewhat incredulously told me they don't do orders over the phone (though I could have sworn this was a common practice of head-fiers in the past). She instructed me to contact her via email to establish pricing and then complete a transaction through either email or fax.

I ordered from HeadRoom.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried calling Beyerdynamic USA for replacement velour pads a few months ago, and the woman who answered somewhat incredulously told me they don't do orders over the phone (though I could have sworn this was a common practice of head-fiers in the past). She instructed me to contact her via email to establish pricing and then complete a transaction through either email or fax.

I ordered from HeadRoom.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, they're not handling that so well anymore.

I need to order some DT550 pleathers and a new yoke and tiny screw for a DT250, and i just, don't want to deal with them right now. and that's how i've felt about it for about 18 months.

Do keep in mind though - DT770 velours are NOT the same as DT880/990 velours. They look the same, but they are not. The DT770 velours have stiffer foam in them. If you put DT990 pads on a 770, the drivers will sit closer to your ears because of the softer foam and greater pressure, and the bass will just about kick you in the head.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Do keep in mind though - DT770 velours are NOT the same as DT880/990 velours. They look the same, but they are not. The DT770 velours have stiffer foam in them. If you put DT990 pads on a 770, the drivers will sit closer to your ears because of the softer foam and greater pressure, and the bass will just about kick you in the head.

Correct me if i'm wrong but 880\990 pads are non isolating because of softer foam in them, while 770's pads, while being also velour, provide some isolation due to stiffier foam. So, if you put 880\990 pads on 770, there will be no bass, cause of lack of seal...

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct me if i'm wrong but 880\990 pads are non isolating because of softer foam in them, while 770's pads, while being also velour, provide some isolation due to stiffier foam. So, if you put 880\990 pads on 770, there will be no bass, cause of lack of seal...

770 pads leak plenty, compared to, for example, AKG velours.

At any rate, they'll sound Wrong with the wrong pads.

When my 990 had old tired flattened out pads, the bass was painful and so was the high treble.

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recently did a comparison by swapping 770 and 880 pads back and forth and I agree with what QQQ said.

Putting the 770 pads on the 880 pumped up the bass at the expense of detail, 880 pads on the 770 robbed them of the punchy bass they're known for.

Scott

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 12
Any idea about these pleather/leather pads on beyers website? How different are they when compared to the original velor?

Im still open to answers for my original question btw

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Any idea about these pleather/leather pads on beyers website? How different are they when compared to the original velor?

Im still open to answers for my original question btw

I tried the EDT 330 S softskin PVC (some sort of pleather) pads.
They sounded exactly the same on my DT770 consumer edition as the velours ones.
Don't know about the leatherette and the genuine leather ones.
They make a mess out of headphone models and earpad models as well, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back