beyer pads for v6 mod?
Apr 26, 2003 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

guttorm

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all. I'm thinking about doing the sony 7506 pad replacement mod but I haven't been able to find the beyer 250 pads for sale anywhere in the US... am i just not trying hard enough? Does anyone know where i could order some online?

Also, any feedback about the procedure in general-- how difficult it is to swap the pads, whether it's worth it, etc. would be helpful. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Hey all. I'm thinking about doing the sony 7506 pad replacement mod but I haven't been able to find the beyer 250 pads for sale anywhere in the US... am i just not trying hard enough?

Can't help on this one, got mine from a German store. But IIRC you can get them directly at Beyer USA (www.beyerdynamic.com).

Quote:

Also, any feedback about the procedure in general-- how difficult it is to swap the pads, whether it's worth it, etc. would be helpful.

The new pads are a *very* tight fit. Just be patient, and with some more or less (ok, less...) gentle force eventually they'll come on. Also don't forget the foam inserts, you can very easily rip them off the old pads.
Definetely worth it. Much more comfortable. Doesn't seem to hurt the sound at all, either.

Apr 28, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi guttorm,

I posted a quite detailed protocol for swapping the pads over some time ago, which can be found here

It's a little on the bombastic side, but it should cover any uncertainties you may have.

Good luck!

Apr 28, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks stymie. I have the V6s and the Beyer pads are coming in the mail...I'll definitely refer back to your thread.

guttorm, go to www.beyerdynamic.com and call the phone number at the bottom of the page. The 800 number didn't work for me, so I had to call the long distance line. Ask for the pads for the DT250-80. I found the part number on an ancient thread here, don't remember it offhand.

[edit] Be sure and ask for the velour pads! [/edit]

Those pads must be a common item. The operator at Beyer knew what I was calling for before I had said three words. Looks like they've raised their prices too...cost me $21 plus $7 shipping. Sounds like they'll be worth it, though.

Apr 28, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 8
I just put on one of the velour pads. I'm listening with one of each on right now, so I thought I'd give my impressions of an A/B combarison (is it really A/B when you're using both at the same time? maybe AB instead?)

The Beyer pad gives a little more isolation. It's also slightly lower volume; my Winamp balance is shifted 24% right of center (towards the new pad) and it feels centered. Doesn't seem to affect the sound otherwise. I can't hear a noticeable difference in the tone. Much more comfortable, of course. Less pinch on the bottom of my ear, even after just a couple minutes. I don't think the direction of the velour matters; for what it's worth, mine's "pointing" down.

stymie, thanks again for the steps. It helped a lot. One thing I'd add: When putting on the new pads, lay the foam on the driver, then put the pad on. It tended to scrunch up less that way.

Apr 28, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 8
To me, there is a significant change in the low end. I attribute this to the beyer pads creating a larger and more sealed closed cavity.

This very much helps the sound of my V7's, but is a bit boomy for the V6's for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back