Beyer Highs + AKG Mids + Grado Lows....Such a thing?
Jun 25, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
I can't seem to find info for the AKG 340...are these discontinued models?

Yes. They were some sort of experimental two-way headphones: a normal magnetic/dynamic for the lower freqs, and an electrostat for the highs, with a crossover and transformator in-between.
Do a search for it on the AKG site and you'll find a scanned brochure.
Not really easy to find it nowadays, but they pop up ocassionally on evilBay - and sometimes you can find a good deal on a used one (see sig
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jun 25, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #17 of 21
There is no perfect headphone, if that's what you're looking for.

There is not a single headphone out there that everyone accepts universally.

Acclimate to whatever headphone you use and learn to love it. Beyond a certain point, this site is just wasting your time and money.

-Matt

Jun 25, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

There is no perfect headphone, if that's what you're looking for.

Of course I know this. But that doesn't mean I can't try to get as close to what I want.

Like I said, I love my Beyer DT880 for most everything, but there are just a few things that sound so good on the AKG.

$35 for the 340? I can handle that...lol.

Jun 25, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Now I'm spoiled...I have heard three different cans and heard three different areas of sound that those cans did well. The question...are there any headphones that have a very balanced sonic signature but still remains fairly transparent?

I suggest to save up for senn 650. They're not perfect - but it's quite difficult to find glaring fault. HD595 should be quite good for the money, to me they're like brighter 650.

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

But then there's talk of the "laid back" Sennheiser sound. I assume that the 595 is not anywhere as laid back as say, the 600 or 650, but I dunno...

The HD595 is actually quite similar to the HD650, and shares the slightly bassy, warm sennheiser sound. That said, they ARE excellent headphones around that pricerange, offering very balanced sound across the spectrum. They might be what you are looking for.

jesse

Jun 26, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #21 of 21
Hopefully, when I go back home tomorrow, the local hi-fi stores have some Sennheisers. It will be interesting to be able to do a direct comparison between my Beyer DT880s and AKG 501s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back