Beyer experts help! - may add a DT880 or 990 to collection
Mar 5, 2010 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Vkamicht

100+ Head-Fier
I've read a lot of threads and though it did give me some insight I'd still like to get a personal opinion

Important things to keep in mind:

- Low-fi equipment (A/V receiver + soundcard that sounds JUST FINE to my ears compared to DAC/AMP combos I've heard. Plenty of volume and sounds nice with both HD600 and K701 so no upgrading here)
- I like a WIDE range of music. Anything from classical, jazz, acoustic, progressive rock, metal. I like complex stuff with a lot going on at once.

Truly, I'd like to end up with one headphone that can 'do it all'. I really enjoy my HD600, though I'd like it if there was a bit more on the top end. I think the K701 is very interesting. On some music the soundstage is great, though on most it still sounds weird to me. Also I have comfort issues with the 701.. it's HUGE on me. It moves around a lot and I can hear sound differences based on where I place the earcups on my head. This kind of bothers me. The 880/990 look like they'll be a smaller fit which would be nice. I also still feel the Senn clamp
frown.gif

The 880 is "semi-open" : does this mean it will drown out more outside noises than the 990? That would be a huge bonus. I listen at my PC and I can always hear the fan through my headphones. The k701 offers a bit more silence in this regard (for some reason) and I really like that about it.

Something with a "stage distance" factor of that between Grados and Senns is fine with me. I like both the intimacy and the extra soundstage and I can live with either one. 701 is just a bit too much for my taste. While I like to pick out different instruments I still like a coherent musical picture - something I can just get lost in, instead of always picking out details.

The HD600's bass is just about the right amount. Actually, this receiver has a bass switch that works GREAT with the 701 (gives it just the perfect amount & punch) but bloats the 600. So I can live with a recommendation on either side.

So... what do you think?
ph34r.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Based on what you said, I'd get the 880. They will be a better fit for what you want sonically. They should fit you quite well physically as well, from what I see in your comments. They don't really provide any isolation, though. The DT990 has a lot more bass. And as such, the mids can seem a little recessed. The DT880 is neutral to just slightly bright. I like both, actually, but the 880 seems like it's more like what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back