Beyer Dynamic or AKG....someone explain how they sound compared to my main cans? :)
Oct 8, 2007 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting another high end headphone. I have never heard a BD headphone or a more expensive AKG. Just the AKG 240 which I sold about 5 months ago or so.

I know I could go look at the frequency curve, but I trust head-fi more than those graphs.

So I have owned many Sennheiser cans, 595, 590, 580, listened to the 201 extensively. Also sold the Sennheiser 457.

right now my "main" can is the Sony SA5000.

Can someone explain to me, how the BD or AKG headphones sound signature compares? Thinking of the BD 990 or maybe AKG 701. Since I have been through so many Senn cans I really need something different.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic: Slightly better

Current AKG: About the same

Vintage AKG: Significantly better

Thanks for replying so quickly but I dont really understand your post, sorry

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Since your source seems to play well even with your SA5000s which are a brighter agressive can, from my understanding, perhaps you would also like as much as I do the DT990s and even my K-701s. Both of which are energetic and extended in their treble response and therefore much care needs to be paid to choice of source and recordings for their beutific qualitys to shine...

They differ in that the k-701 is more coherent in their presentation, relatively warmer in their mid range, less energetic in their treble response, with less bass bias though it is present and deep it hasn't at all the promenence in their presentation vs the "big beat" of the 990s!!!

Another thing is the 990s have an exagerrated seperation, vs the coherance of presentation of the K-701s in their headstage, which is a marvel to experience and perhaps a polarizing aspect to their presentation with regards to opinions of them. I do love them both, but it certainly can be said they [resent the same music in a most different maner from each other. The K-701s are conservative, neutral also with a wide soundstage, though detailed. Whereas, the 990s are a FUN ride less concerned with micro detail and tone of instruments and more in line with a Rock experience... Alhough, I don't catagorize their use at all by genere specificity, though I suppose some here may very well...

Good luck in your decision ~

Sorry, I havent yet heard the SA-5000s, but from what I have gathered, the k-701 would be a softer, warmer close to identical shadow of them and the 990s would be most like them in terms of coldness, agressiveness, although slightly less so highly detailed / resolution perhaps, with the addition of promenance in the lower frequency projections into the presentation; Which with the right amp the 990s bass bias can be presented fully controled and quite articulate and not at all boomy... The 990s are very hyper system dependent to get them to preform to their highest potential somewhat similar in that regard to your SA5000s, again, from my understanding.

In addition I'll add, my DT990s first began to sound very good only after the inclusion in my system of the NOS MHDT Labs Contatine+, and with your DAC I would highly recommend your going with the DT-990s(e'05s)
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your source seems to play well even with your SA5000s which are a brighter agressive can, from my understanding, perhaps you would also like as much as I do the DT990s and even my K-701s. Both of which are energetic and extended in their treble response and therefore much care needs to be paid to choice of source and recordings for their beutific qualitys to shine...

They differ in that the k-701 is more coherent in their presentation, relatively warmer in their mid range, less energetic in their treble response, with less bass bias though it is present and deep it hasn't at all the promenence in their presentation vs the "big beat" of the 990s!!!

Another thing is the 990s have an exagerrated seperation, vs the coherance of presentation of the K-701s in their headstage, which is a marvel to experience and perhaps a polarizing aspect to their presentation with regards to opinions of them. I do love them both, but it certainly can be said they [resent the same music in a most different maner from each other. The K-701s are conservative, neutral also with a wide soundstage, though detailed. Whereas, the 990s are a FUN ride less concerned with micro detail and tone of instruments and more in line with a Rock experience... Alhough, I don't catagorize their use at all by genere specificity, though I suppose some here may very well...

Good luck in your decision ~

Sorry, I havent yet heard the SA-5000s, but from what I have gathered, the k-701 would be a softer, warmer close to identical shadow of them and the 990s would be most like them in terms of coldness, agressiveness, although slightly less so highly detailed / resolution perhaps, with the addition of promenance in the lower frequency projections into the presentation; Which with the right amp the 990s bass bias can be presented fully controled and quite articulate and not at all boomy... The 990s are very hyper system dependent to get them to preform to their highest potential somewhat similar in that regard to your SA5000s, again, from my understanding.

In addition I'll add, my DT990s first began to sound very good only after the inclusion in my system of the NOS MHDT Labs Contatine+, and with your DAC I would highly recommend your going with the DT-990s(e'05s)
wink.gif

Thanks for the long reply
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I may go for the 990s simply because out of all headphone manufacturers I see less BD than any other company. 701s also really interest me just because there has been so much hype about them in the last year.

I dunno maybe I should just buy both
smily_headphones1.gif

Also nice to see another MHDT labs owner! I love my Paradisea+ it sounds like the 990 and the paradisea would make a great match
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the long reply
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I may go for the 990s simply because out of all headphone manufacturers I see less BD than any other company. 701s also really interest me just because there has been so much hype about them in the last year.

I dunno maybe I should just buy both
smily_headphones1.gif

Also nice to see another MHDT labs owner! I love my Paradisea+ it sounds like the 990 and the paradisea would make a great match
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't forget about the Denon 2000/5000..
lambda.gif
The AKG340's are a great headphone, especially for the price.. You Just need a good amp to drive them well...

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget about the Denon 2000/5000..
lambda.gif
The AKG340's are a great headphone, especially for the price.. You Just need a good amp to drive them well...

I haven't ever heard a Denon, I should keep that in mind for sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aren't the AKG 340s the hybrid Electrostatic/Dynamic? I would absolutely love to hear those, I am sure that my Gilmore Lite would be up to the task of amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back