Beyer dynamic modders
May 29, 2005 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Im in the market for some new cans I can use, but as a diyer, im bound to tweak the heck out of it.

I was looking at the senn 580s, but I also like the look of the beyers,

880 and 990

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult it would be to open up one so I can get rid of the stock cable.

the 580 is attractive because its in my realm of affordability, but the beyers look nice too.

is it difficult to open up a beyer? is there a diy site anywhere with pics?
the first thing Im want to do is take out the stock cable :p im not brave enough to be the guinea pig and take apart cans this expensive without learning about it first.

I have a pair of akgs but the cable is soldered directly to the drivers, and the house looks like itll fall apart if I tried to open it up. so Im looking for some other cans I can have some fun with
smily_headphones1.gif

need to move on to better pastures, my grado sr-80s are good, but I need something with higher fidelity to listen to music with.

May 30, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 9
Hey RnB, I can highly recommend the DT 880. They are lively, warm, detailed and textured with good dimension and resonance/decay of music notes. Bass notes are also very rounded and full sounding. They are very well constructed and comfortable. I love how the velour earpads caress the side of the face and the thick pad on the headband helps support the weight.

Also since Headroom and Headphile do recables of these cans, they seem to be readily modifiable...we all know how much you love to build cables. I would be very interested in the cable experimentation you would undoubtedly perform on them.

May 30, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 9
I'd like to recable my DT770s soon to bring out the mid range more.

What kind of cable would be good for that, starquad, cardas?

Exactly how do you open Beyer cans?

May 30, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcat05
I'd like to recable my DT770s soon to bring out the mid range more.

What kind of cable would be good for that, starquad, cardas?

Exactly how do you open Beyer cans?

Yeah how do I get these things open? Theres no screws....?
Im going to use star-quad and no techflex, just heatshrink.

Garrett

May 30, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 9
I have 580s and I've never looked back since I bought them. Even easier to re-cable seeing as the cables are removable. Very warm and detailed sound, and extreemly dark which will make my jazz listening experiences very pleasurable, yet they remain punchy and fast enough for rock.

May 30, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
The beyer 770/880/990 are all very easy to open up and recable.

any pics? or diy sites? Im gonna make mine detachable if possible, rather then a permanent cable.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back