Beyer DT990's for the day
Nov 13, 2005 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Big G

100+ Head-Fier
A work Collegue has brought in her Beyer990's for me to listen to for the day, luckily I have my rig with me, including my Hf-1's =)

Quite a different sound to the grado's, even though the Hf-1's are darker than other grado's. These are a little more recessed, a scooped midrange, but perhaps more extension at both ends of the spectrum.
Less intimate in the smallest details, due to the recessed midrange, but Quite dynamic, good kick and damn comfie! I think they sound great with Metal / Rock.
I can see why they make great monitoring phones, even though this model is the open version, they isolate so well!
I really dig the fact that the plug screws a 1/8 into 1/4, dont like the sprial chord a little too short.

Close call, too early to make a clear call but I still think I'm a grado boy

Fun.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Yes they are certainly a fun phone, lots of low end grunt! perhaps not the most balanced phone, but they bring the fun in bucket loads!

They must sound great for Dance / Rap music.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 11
From all the cans I've heard, I think the dt990 is the most removed balanced can there ever was
tongue.gif
That said, I do prefer my hf-1 to it due to the 990's very boomy bass. When I got the hf-1 after being very used to the 990, I thought the bass on the hf-1 was non existant. But the more I listened to the hf-1, the more I grew to love the tighter brighter bass/sound the Grado's displayed.

I do some comparisons, and every high end can got its use. I use my 990's for movie soundtracks now.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 11
Yes they would make great cans for Movies...

I take back my comment about the great Isolation...I guess I had them up pretty loud!..with no music playing they dont really Isolate, you can hear conversations in the Office, phone ring etc...but they do Isolate compared to Grado which I am accustomed to...hehehe.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 11
I am in the process of trading my HD600s for fante7's DT 990 Pros, previously owned by Salt Peanuts, who died the pads black, apparently. I really, really think I'm going to enjoy these...

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I don't think the bass can be described as boomy. It is strong, but I feel it is fairly controlled, as compared to less expensive basshead cans
basshead.gif

Let's call it controlled boominess then.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I am in the process of trading my HD600s for fante7's DT 990 Pros, previously owned by Salt Peanuts, who died the pads black...

For a split second I though you were bartering for a dead forum members headphones. Us audio files are a shamless group!
eggosmile.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, the DT990 is an interesting headphone, and I agree with a lot of the things said in this thread. An interesting point is that it actually muffles outside noise a little more than the DT880 does, which is something I would not expect. At least, the Pro version does. I hope you enjoy them Emon
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back