Beyer DT990 Pro vs. Premium.
Sep 26, 2022 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
I have both these and cannot say there's a huge difference, but there is a difference. Not surprising really since the Pro is almost wholly open where the Premium is wholly closed. Beyer are quite coy about this and only say that they use the same drivers and therefore must sound the same, but that's a fib. as they would well know. Loading can make as big a difference to sound as different drivers, which leaves me a little confused as to why these phones sound as similar as they do. Anyone else got this combination or made the comparison?

Incidentally, I'm not sure which I prefer. Given suitable damping (microfiber cloth in my case) they both sound terrific, better than anything I've heard in 50 years of headphoning. (Or maybe it's just my deteriorating ears.) :)

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 10
The only difference is the pro version has the coiled cable and premium has the straight cable. Also you can tell the ohm version on the rubber plug on the connector. It's either 32 or 600, but if there's no stamp, it's the 250 ohm.

Sep 29, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 10
The only difference is the pro version has the coiled cable and premium has the straight cable. Also you can tell the ohm version on the rubber plug on the connector. It's either 32 or 600, but if there's no stamp, it's the 250 ohm.
My dt990 have silver gray plating on the back of the headphones like the dt880. No indication of ohms on the rubber plug. I assume they're the 600 ohm premium.

Sep 30, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 10
Appreciate what you're saying, Dunring, but in fact the major difference between these phones is that the Pro is open and the Premium closed. This is easily confirmed when you have both. The Premium has a completely closed back, though without a close inspection you might think it has slit openings. I'm surprised Beyer gloss over this important difference as it will certainly affect the sound of any phone. My point of confusion is how little it affects the sound of this phone.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Appreciate what you're saying, Dunring, but in fact the major difference between these phones is that the Pro is open and the Premium closed. This is easily confirmed when you have both. The Premium has a completely closed back, though without a close inspection you might think it has slit openings. I'm surprised Beyer gloss over this important difference as it will certainly affect the sound of any phone. My point of confusion is how little it affects the sound of this phone.
Maybe you can clear something up for me. I bought the dt990 used a number of years ago from ebay.
They didn't come in the original box and the seller description never said whether they were the premium or the pro version; although imprinted on the back of the ear cups it says dt990.
I assumed since the grills on the back were silver gray this differentiated them from the pro versions.
Any thoughts on this?

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 10
I have both these and cannot say there's a huge difference, but there is a difference. Not surprising really since the Pro is almost wholly open where the Premium is wholly closed. Beyer are quite coy about this and only say that they use the same drivers and therefore must sound the same, but that's a fib. as they would well know. Loading can make as big a difference to sound as different drivers, which leaves me a little confused as to why these phones sound as similar as they do. Anyone else got this combination or made the comparison?

Incidentally, I'm not sure which I prefer. Given suitable damping (microfiber cloth in my case) they both sound terrific, better than anything I've heard in 50 years of headphoning. (Or maybe it's just my deteriorating ears.) :)

The 990 premium is an open headphone, where are you getting that?

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 10
All DT 990's are open, I've owned both the premiums and the pros and have opened up both and examined them closely. They both are as open as each other, the opening is a coin sized center hole. There are no fully open dynamic Beyers I know of like say the Senn HD 600, HD 800, K701, R70X, etc. You could actually argue all open Beyers are semi-open.

The Pro just looks more open, it's really not, the opening is that darker circle in the middle of the grill, the premium has a same size opening in the center but the grill slits make it so you can't really see it well, everything around that center opening is just closed off on both. The thing is the grills trick you into thinking they're more open when both only have a coin sized center hole as the opening. The Beyer T1 (all three gens) and DT 880 and T90 are all like this as well, just a center hole as well as many other older ones and more obscure ones such as the DT 440, DT 860, etc.

This is the opening on the Pro the darker circle circled in red. The opening on the Premium is in the same place and basically the same size. Hopefully these pictures clear up your confusion.

654662_456525_02_front_zoom.jpg

This is the inside of the DT 990 Pro. The white is basically plastic sitting on top of a white cloth mesh with white felt on top of the plastic.

p1070260.jpg

This is the inside of the DT 990 Premium, that center hole is where it's open. Notice it has like two white felt rings stacked on top of each other. And the hole has a black foam so somewhat different damping going on here.
4449044.jpg

This is the inside of the closed DT 770, notice no center hole and very different damping scheme.

Beyerdynamic%2BDT770%2Bdriver.jpg

There are a couple exceptions to the center hole opening of what I've owned, those are the Amiron Home and DT 1990; Amiron Home has a bunch of a tiny holes for venting and the DT 1990 has a few smaller holes. I have yet to open up a DT 900 Pro X so not sure if they did things differently on it. The thing is with Beyers it's actually better to open them up to get an idea of their venting rather than look from the outside.

Amiron Home. These are arguably the most open feeling Beyers I’ve used.
9672920.jpg

DT 1990 Pro
9164710.jpg

This is the T1 Gen 3, see it's more like the DT 990 Pro/Premium in it's opening.
11310595.jpeg

The main difference between the Pro and the Premium is the housing shape/size, some damping differences, and the pro has a stronger clamp out of the box. The 250 Ohm pro has the coiled cable, but the 80 Ohm Pro I believe has a straight cable. Also the Black editions of the Pro and Premium seem to have somewhat different damping and tuning than the normal ones.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 10
All DT 990's are open, I've owned both the premiums and the pros and have opened up both and examined them closely. They both are as open as each other, the opening is a coin sized center hole. There are no fully open dynamic Beyers I know of like say the Senn HD 600, HD 800, K701, R70X, etc. You could actually argue all open Beyers are semi-open.

The Pro just looks more open, it's really not, the opening is that darker circle in the middle of the grill, the premium has a same size opening in the center but the grill slits make it so you can't really see it well, everything around that center opening is just closed off on both. The thing is the grills trick you into thinking they're more open when both only have a coin sized center hole as the opening. The Beyer T1 (all three gens) and DT 880 and T90 are all like this as well, just a center hole as well as many other older ones and more obscure ones such as the DT 440, DT 860, etc.

This is the opening on the Pro the darker circle circled in red. The opening on the Premium is in the same place and basically the same size. Hopefully these pictures clear up your confusion.

654662_456525_02_front_zoom.jpg

This is the inside of the DT 990 Pro. The white is basically plastic sitting on top of a white cloth mesh with white felt on top of the plastic.

p1070260.jpg

This is the inside of the DT 990 Premium, that center hole is where it's open. Notice it has like two white felt rings stacked on top of each other. And the hole has a black foam so somewhat different damping going on here.
4449044.jpg

This is the inside of the closed DT 770, notice no center hole and very different damping scheme.

Beyerdynamic%2BDT770%2Bdriver.jpg

There are a couple exceptions to the center hole opening of what I've owned, those are the Amiron Home and DT 1990; Amiron Home has a bunch of a tiny holes for venting and the DT 1990 has a few smaller holes. I have yet to open up a DT 900 Pro X so not sure if they did things differently on it. The thing is with Beyers it's actually better to open them up to get an idea of their venting rather than look from the outside.

Amiron Home. These are arguably the most open feeling Beyers I’ve used.
9672920.jpg

DT 1990 Pro
9164710.jpg

This is the T1 Gen 3, see it's more like the DT 990 Pro/Premium in it's opening.
11310595.jpeg

The main difference between the Pro and the Premium is the housing shape/size, some damping differences, and the pro has a stronger clamp out of the box. The 250 Ohm pro has the coiled cable, but the 80 Ohm Pro I believe has a straight cable. Also the Black editions of the Pro and Premium seem to have somewhat different damping and tuning than the normal ones.
Very detailed breakdown. Excellent work.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 10
Yes, that's great work and clears up my confusion. I've of course not opened either phone, so could only judge from the outside. Given the (great) pictures I would describe both phones as semi-open at best, though they certainly sound fully open. Interesting that Beyer call the 880 semi-open but the 990 fully open. In fact they seem rather coy about the whole design, insisting that the only difference between the Pro and Premium 990 is different headband and cable, whereas there are apparently several subtle differences. Indeed the stronger clamp alone would account for a noticeable difference if one were not to bend the headband to suit (first thing I did).
Your remark about the black versions having different damping and tuning opens up an interesting can of worms. I wonder if you have any impressions to share.

I'm currently waiting on aftermarket earpads that are slightly oblong, since I find the round ones pinch my ears. Can't see how oblong pads fit a round cup but I'll soon find out. The worst aspect of Beyers, I've found from experience, is fitting the pads. I believe people have been known to commit suicide during this process. :)

Dec 31, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I agree that there is not really any beyer that is super extra open, like an AKG K812, where people two rooms over can easily hear what song you're listening to lol

But I do certainly like the "open" beyers more than most of their closed equivalents.
The only closed beyer's I truly like are the DT250, despite their "sennheiser Veil" treble....the rest of their frequency response is truly timeless, like a closed back HD600 almost.

as for the thread headphones....I can defintiely say that as the ohms go up on the 990's, the slight V-shape, while still there, smooths and subsides slightly on the bass end especially.

the 600ohm DT990, while fairly hungry for a strong signal, when driven properly, are really superior cans for their time, with a frequency response very similar to the Sennheiser HE-1, to the surprise of many. Most new hobbyists overlook these 600 ohm gems, simply due to an attached cable. they're absolutely beautiful, and not that much brighter than an HE-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back