Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohm vs Philips Fidelio X2 for gaming
Jan 18, 2017 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hoegen

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Looking for help in finding a new set of headphones. 

I will mainly use them for gaming and listening to music - rock/metal. I like a tightly defined bass and a clear top end with good presence. The soundstage must be big, and footsteps easily identified. 

I have an amp on my soundcard that can easily drive the 250 ohm Beyers if needed.

I've had a set of DT 990 Pros home for tryout. I certainly like them - the soundstage is big, only gripe I have is that they are a tad bright. Would this improve with burn-in time? These are brand new. I tried the X2s.

My thoughts are this:
DT990 Pro:
Very sharp sound.
Bass is tight and defined. More bass than X2s.
Clinical.

X2:
Darker and more organic tone. 
Bass is looser.
Mids are more present.

I simply cannot make my mind up about this, and was hoping for some input :) Both are totally awesome. The brightness of the DT990s is maybe a dealbreaker, though I hope that will improve with burn in time,. 

Its down to the Fidelio X2's and DT990 Pro's for me. Which one is the better overall headset in your opinion?

Hope you can help me make a good decision. These are so close :) 

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 10
Online gaming or offline? If you want a can for say CS go, then don't go for either of these, instead get the AKG Q701 or K702 . They have good accuracy , very wide soundstage and are good for rock music too. Though, they might not have much bass for your taste. so keep that in mind.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 10
The DT990s will tame slightly after some time,but the difference isnt night and day.

FWIW I owned both the DT990 and X1(essentially the same as X2) at the same time and kept the X1s for gaming only.

If I were to choose a headphone for gaming+music,I might opt for the AKG K7XX over the other two,but it def needs an amp for it to sound its best.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I will mainly use them for gaming and listening to music - rock/metal. I like a tightly defined bass and a clear top end with good presence. The sound stage must be big, and footsteps easily identified. 
I have an amp on my sound card that can easily drive the 250 ohm Beyers if needed.
I've had a set of DT 990 Pros home for tryout. I certainly like them - the sound stage is big, only gripe I have is that they are a tad bright. Would this improve with burn-in time? These are brand new. I tried the X2s.
I simply cannot make my mind up about this, and was hoping for some input :) Both are totally awesome. The brightness of the DT990s is maybe a dealbreaker, though I hope that will improve with burn in time,. 
Its down to the Fidelio X2's and DT990 Pro's for me. Which one is the better overall headset in your opinion?

What is the make ans model of your sound card?

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 10
  Hey everyone,

I will mainly use them for gaming and listening to music - rock/metal. I like a tightly defined bass and a clear top end with good presence. The soundstage must be big, and footsteps easily identified. 

I have an amp on my soundcard that can easily drive the 250 ohm Beyers if needed.

I've had a set of DT 990 Pros home for tryout. I certainly like them - the soundstage is big, only gripe I have is that they are a tad bright. Would this improve with burn-in time? These are brand new. I tried the X2s.

My thoughts are this:
DT990 Pro:
Very sharp sound.
Bass is tight and defined. More bass than X2s.
Clinical.

X2:
Darker and more organic tone. 
Bass is looser.
Mids are more present.

Hope you can help me make a good decision. These are so close :) 

I personally also find the 990 Pro a tad on the bright side of the ledger. Not everyone does, but I do. So, I would go with the X2--of the two you list. But there are also the AKGs and there is the Senn HD598 and the AD900X and the HE400S. Also good options. So, you have many options, if you want to look into them.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 10
  Online gaming or offline? If you want a can for say CS go, then don't go for either of these, instead get the AKG Q701 or K702 . They have good accuracy , very wide soundstage and are good for rock music too. Though, they might not have much bass for your taste. so keep that in mind.

The DT990s will tame slightly after some time,but the difference isnt night and day.

FWIW I owned both the DT990 and X1(essentially the same as X2) at the same time and kept the X1s for gaming only.

If I were to choose a headphone for gaming+music,I might opt for the AKG K7XX over the other two,but it def needs an amp for it to sound its best.

hey guys, after i watch z sound demo i'm interested with akg headphone. they have a huge soundstage. i need your recomendation
wich one better for music, gaming fps, and movie:
k7 01,02,xx,12pro
q701
k612pro
are those headphone hard to drive? i mean could portable dac/amp or amp only such as fiio e17k or fiio A5 drive those headphones properly?
actualy my real target is dt990 250 ohm, but i read that dt990 is hard to drive. i don't have any amp yet

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 10
im running DT990-250 from pc, it could use some amping, but its good enough - loud and nice, my motherboard isnt the cheap end, but it isnt expensive either, if you have some low end motherboard or a laptop then there could be problems, in terms of loudness even my  cheap lumia 625 can get loud enough(for louder music) though it needs amping - they sound lazy.  you  can easily use them for some time til you get some 100$ dacamp like fulla 2 or smth, but in my case amp seems to be a nice option not a must.

as for sound - at start they were bright and i had to lower highs a bit at certain frequency, but after some time i either got used to it or they burned in and were much nicer- now running no eq. in games sometimes im forced to look over my shoulder since i cant tell if sound comes from behind IRL or if its from game, love them.

i must warn you that they wont be good if you live in a noisy environment, no isolation.
  actualy my real target is dt990 250 ohm, but i read that dt990 is hard to drive. i don't have any amp yet

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 10
  im running DT990-250 from pc, it could use some amping, but its good enough - loud and nice, my motherboard isnt the cheap end, but it isnt expensive either, if you have some low end motherboard or a laptop then there could be problems, in terms of loudness even my  cheap lumia 625 can get loud enough(for louder music) though it needs amping - they sound lazy.  you  can easily use them for some time til you get some 100$ dacamp like fulla 2 or smth, but in my case amp seems to be a nice option not a must.

as for sound - at start they were bright and i had to lower highs a bit at certain frequency, but after some time i either got used to it or they burned in and were much nicer- now running no eq. in games sometimes im forced to look over my shoulder since i cant tell if sound comes from behind IRL or if its from game, love them.

i must warn you that they wont be good if you live in a noisy environment, no isolation.

i think my sc is suck, if im not mistaken realtek on my laptop, and yes i will buy an amp but for now i need a portable amp or dacamp for laptop and phone. i was hesistate to buy dt990 because when i ask on my local forum which amp that can drive dt990, they suggest me to buy an expensive amp like centrance m8. but after that i read a lot people use cheap amp to drive dt990. is fulla 2 good enough to drive and soften the treble on beyer? how about fiio e17k and fiio a5? i read that i must buy an amp or dacamp with warm character, is fulla 2 has a warm character?

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 10
im too poor(or have too much other stuff to spend money on) to buy amp so what im writing here is just what i gathered from forums :D

something like 99$ schiit fulla2 should be more than enough, there are other inexpensive small amps that should do the job, with a laptop/phone by itself it might not be enough. i havent researched portable amps so cant help, but there should be good enough budget options. though if you dont need built in battery - want smth small enough to carry in laptop bag fulla isnt too big and there are other small size dacs/amps

you wrote that you want to use with phone - do you intend to use them on the go since dt990 arent good for that because they are open, if you plan to use the phone to run them around the house it should be fine as long as you have enough power

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 10
  im too poor(or have too much other stuff to spend money on) to buy amp so what im writing here is just what i gathered from forums :D

something like 99$ schiit fulla2 should be more than enough, there are other inexpensive small amps that should do the job, with a laptop/phone by itself it might not be enough. i havent researched portable amps so cant help, but there should be good enough budget options. though if you dont need built in battery - want smth small enough to carry in laptop bag fulla isnt too big and there are other small size dacs/amps

you wrote that you want to use with phone - do you intend to use them on the go since dt990 arent good for that because they are open, if you plan to use the phone to run them around the house it should be fine as long as you have enough power

man, i'm not rich either. that's why i just want to buy portable amp or dacamp. i ask everyone to make sure that i'm not buy useless headphone. dt990 is expensive for me.
if i want to buy schiit i must use purchasing service, because schiit isn't exist in my country. it also applies to amazon and ebay, importing item is my last choice since it will make me pay a lot extra charged.. i heard someone use fiio to drive dt990, but i read that i must buy amp or dacamp with warm character to make soften the treble on dt990. fiio exist in my country, but if fulla can soften the trebel more than fiio, i will buy fulla instead.
yes, because i don't want to listen music on my bedroom only. man, can you imagine why we buy a headphone, which is portable, if we just use it on one room only. if we want to listen on one room, why don't we just buy a speaker? that's my reason. since i'm not an audiophile, i just one to use my phone and laptop as my source. i don't intend to buy a dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back