Beyer dt990 600ohm version, can they be balanced
Dec 5, 2008 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dclancy

500+ Head-Fier
Just ordered the older Beyer 990's, with the coily cord, and have an Apogee mini dac on the way. Was wondering if the stock cord can be balanced like the K701's can. I was gonna do a cheap balance project, and considering 2 birds with one solder iron.
Anyone try this?

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 9
Anyone. Got them today and hit a road block.
Instead of the 4 wires going to 3 points (right, left, neutral) they're divided in 2.
dylanclancy
[/url][/IMG]
Thoughts?

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 9
your photobucket link doesn't work.

this should be easy, though. The lug on the driver with a mark near it is +. the other is -. the wire connected to - on the left one that also goes to the right earcup goes to - on the right one. it's just that easy.

and unless they have a plastic headband they aren't that old.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 9
It's hard to tell from the first pic, but it's two wires to one point, an two wires to the second. I didn't want to disassemble the housing just to see which is which, was hoping to determine from the connector.

Dec 11, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Really Flippin Old. Older than many people on head-fi. mid 80's to mid 90's. Just like mine. Congrats. the sound signature will even out when you get new pads - just make sure they're 990 pads and not 770 pads (which look exactly the same from a distance, but aren't). Or pull a pair of pads off an MBQuart QP55x - which appear to be identical to old dt990 pads.

The large bit of metal is ground. the small bit in the center is left positive. The other bit is right positive.

Disconnect both grounds, measure ohms from each of them to each positive. 600ish ohms means you have a signal pair. More means you don't.

This thread really belongs in the DIY forum.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 9
^^^ Understood. Was just curious if anyone tried it, I am trying to get out of getting a proper amp for the time being, or I'll have to build a starving student Millet next year.
So far they show promise. Also re: pads- I took them off, slit the back side down the center with a razor, and stuffed with cotton and foam, then sewn up again. Not too plump, but better. Not bad for on the cheap!!!
Thanks for the info Eric. I'll take anything further to the DIY and maybe PM ya' if things get too harry, but I've already tried balance a set of headphones once, (low imp cans, sounded blah, rookie mistake) so I got the idea of it Just at first look, it appeared to have only 2 contacts, I didn't see the 3rd (center, left positive I'm assuming).

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 9
I honestly don't remember if my ancient 990 has a 4-lead or 3-lead cable. But i'm guessing that it's 4-lead, because it has that Y split. And probably the grounds are at the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back