Beyer DT990 250 Ohm | What DAC/AMP combo with availability in EU, budget around 140£ (160€ / 175$)
Jul 8, 2016 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

paulkemp

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, 

Yesterday I got my DT 990s. They are connected to my computer with only a 2011 Astro MixAmp. I like them so far, but at max volume on the MixAmp they are not loud, and can be uncomfortable to listen to. It is seems to be the treble that is too high. Comfort wise they seem ok, but I do feel them on my ears after about an hour or so. I got these for comfort, gaming and music in my home office. I also use a ModMic for VOIP, plugged directly into the mobo of the computer. I am hoping the DT990s will suite my head better after they have been worn in. I have extended the head band a bit, but there still seems to be some clamping force in the pads (ears) themselves. 

I have been reading a lot the last few weeks in the DAC/AMP threads. These cans are used for 1) gaming, 2) videos and then 3) music. So I dont really need a audiophile level of quality on the dac/amp, but I want to have a better sounding dac then the MixAmp. I also want the dac/amp to look good on my desk, not be too small (many of the puny dacs are imho), and have a solid quality appearance. I may change the cans in the future, but I want a dac/amp combo that will last me many years.

Need to have:
Good sounding and powerful enough for 250 Ohms, maybe more, dac/amp
Good looking and solid quality impression - ntot too small
Good combo with my DT990s sound wise.  
Availablity in EU, Norway. From Ebay or other services. 
6.3 mm device plug for headphones. 
Physical knob for volume

Nice to have: 
Speaker output for 2.0 setup on desk. 

What I have looked at so far: 

Topping VX1, 99$:
Too strong lights, dont know about the AMP quality here. 

Topping 32EX, 150$:
Lacks the physical knob, but has the speakers. 

Aune X1s, 256$:
Like the looks, but it does look a bit cheap on the pictures. Dont know the sound. A bit too expensive here. Lacks speaker output. 

JDSLABS Objective2 + ODAC Combo Headphone amp, 299$:
Dont love the looks. 

Cambridge Dac Magic Plus, 499$:
Love the looks. Available in store in Norway. Dont know about AMP in this device? Lacks speaker output. 

In addition to this, I can get a pretty nice surround receiver (dac) used here in Norway, they are around 90-130£. All powerful last generation surround receivers. But they are normally pretty big and I dont know the headphone amp quality in each and every one of those. But there are Denons, Yamhas and H/Ks out there, used and pretty cheap. Like the Denon PMA-520AE, but again, dont know about the quality of the headphone AMP in these. 

In 2nd addition, there are the external sound-cards, like the Xonar and Sound Blaster. Normally the "game gear" looks tacky to me, but they can be had for around 80£, but then again I dont know about the amp and dac quality. Virtual surround (DH) is not that important to me. 

I need some pointers and a dialog, so all tips are greatly appreciated. But I do have around 230£ in cash lying around that I could use for the perfect device. Any tips appreciated. Thanks

Links: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/697848/topping-vx1-anybody-try-it-yet
http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp32ex/index.htm
http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-x1s-32bit-384khz-dsd-dac-headphone-amplifier
https://www.amazon.com/JDSLABS-Objective2-Combo-Headphone-NwAvGuy/dp/B00EJ9405O
https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-DacMagic-Digital-Analogue/dp/B006GJU33I/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1468022619&sr=1-2&keywords=cambridge+dacmagic

Pictures, cause who doesnt love 'em? 

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 13
You should consider the Matrix HPA-2 (Warm SS DAC/Amp)

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 13
...and can be uncomfortable to listen to. It is seems to be the treble that is too high.

The DT990 are known for being a headphone with treble emphasis that some people find fatiguing. Getting a better DAC/amp may have no effect on that problem for you. They simply may be too bright for your tastes.

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 13
The DT990 are known for being a headphone with treble emphasis that some people find fatiguing. Getting a better DAC/amp may have no effect on that problem for you. They simply may be too bright for your tastes.

Yes, but this was only a problem the first 30 mins using them gaming, not broken in. Literally the first mins using them. With the volume at the mixamp at max and using Doulby Atmos for headphones that Overwatch has. Since then I have not had that problem.

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 13
What about JDS Labs The Element? This device seems to tick off all my need to haves. How does that fare sound wise with the DT990s? 

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/158/the-element-b-stock/

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 13
  What about JDS Labs The Element? This device seems to tick off all my need to haves. How does that fare sound wise with the DT990s? 

The Matrix might be a better match but both are quality products.
If you like DT990's sound signature you can't go wrong with any of them.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for your replies.

I cant seem to find that much info on the Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 online, and I dont really like the looks of the unit. The Element on the other hand, looks gorgeous, but it gets too expensive with shipping to Norway.

There is alot of info on the Objective2 +ODAC, this I can get in Europe and have shipped to Norway cheap. The edition with connections on the back would work in my setup. Also, the Maverick site has a 40$ off promotion, so a Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC  can be had at a reasonable price, but unsure about the AMP in this device. Then again, the DT990s @ 250 are fairly easy to drive. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Quick update, ended up with the Objective 2 + ODAC combo, made in the EU. With the plugs in the back, just the connections I need and made in the EU. Good reports of how the DT990s sound with it. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 13
  Quick update, ended up with the Objective 2 + ODAC combo, made in the EU. With the plugs in the back, just the connections I need and made in the EU. Good reports of how the DT990s sound with it. 

Great! Happy Listening!
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 13
O2odac is the way to go unless you get an otl tube amp for high impedance headphones.whatever you do, don't buy anything from schiit. They're products are just as schiity as their makers and the people who brainless suck their cables.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 13
O2odac is the way to go unless you get an otl tube amp for high impedance headphones.whatever you do, don't buy anything from schiit. They're products are just as schiity as their makers and the people who brainless suck their cables.

Are you sure?

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 13

Are you sure?

I'm wondering, too? :confused:

I have owned the Objective 2, the ODAC, the Schiit Asgard 2, and Schiit Modi. All equally good equipment for the price, in my experience.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 13

Thanks! Have not heard the o2, but if I am not happy. I can sell it used here in Norway. There are very few available. 

The only two tube amps that was under consideration price vise was the Aune T1SE and the Maverick TubeMagic D1 (used). The Aune could have worked. The Tubemagic was used and I read that on the headphone amp it did not actually use the tubes. I donno. Sometimes you have to start somewhere, and I am starting with the O2+ODAC, not couting my Astro Mixamp what I am using now. That also works good over optical actually. Listening to the new Radiohead album as I type this and loving it. 

Dont know about Schiit, but their products sure look nice at least. And I do believe the packaging of the devices do matter. 

Pictures, 'cause why not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back