Beyer DT880s suitable for gaming with mix amp?
Dec 22, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 29
Can anyone help on adding a desktop amp into my 360/mixamp set up? How would I connect it up? Would it improve the volume which is my only complaint using the DT880? Could I still use the mixamp to mix voice? Would something like the project headbox 2 fit the bill?
Foe hammer, you said you saw no imrovement with a desktop amp. Was this with 360 or pc gaming?
Cheers

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If powered properly and using a PC (NOT 360, 360 audio blows), DT880 blows AD700 out of the water for gaming, especially the 600 ohm version.

Does the audio output of a 360 still suck when you run it from optical out through a decent DAC? I haven't experimented much with sound output of our X-Box 360, but that's mainly because I prefer to game on a PC. It just seems odd to me that an X-Box 360 would be so poor in sound processing.

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hotspur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone help on adding a desktop amp into my 360/mixamp set up? How would I connect it up? Would it improve the volume which is my only complaint using the DT880? Could I still use the mixamp to mix voice? Would something like the project headbox 2 fit the bill?
Foe hammer, you said you saw no imrovement with a desktop amp. Was this with 360 or pc gaming?
Cheers

I believe it should be connected in this fashion:

Xbox>Optical>MixAmp>3.5mm to RCA>Desktop amp

I'm not sure if the later amp modifies the original DH signal.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive desktop amp (to pair with the MIXAMP) that will sufficiently drive the DT880s for movies?

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

I too have the DT880 with the mixamp but i am finding the combination a little under powered when it comes to volume, more so with movies, which i'll come onto. if a am not mixing game and voice on the mixamp, and have the balance 100% to game, then it's no problem when gaming. more of an issue when mixing voice unto the equation. i may try using the MW2 throat mic directly into the controller and setting the 360 to output voice through the tv, this apparently works for some.
as i said it's more when watching a movie, at max volume, it's just about lous enough, but i feel i could on occasion want more. would i benefit from a separate amp purely for movies? i dont listen to music that much.

Are you def, no offense?

For games i set the large master volume knob on the mixamp to max, and then adjust the small knob on the mixamp to where the game volume is where i want it (usually no more then at 12 o'clock). This way game chat is always at max. I also set voice output in the 360 to ''both". This makes game chat volume louder then just setting it to "headset only". That being said, there is more then enough volume. If i turn the small knob on the mixamp all the way left (keeping the large master volume knob at max), it would blow my eardrums out.

For movies, i turn the small knob all the way to the left and the large master knob i rarely turn it past 1 o'clock.

Quote:

Foe-Hammer i see from your sig that you have the Ultrasone Hfi 780, which some people rate for gaming. have you tried them with the mixamp and if so what do you think of them?

Yes i have, and they are the worst audiophile headphone that i've tried with Dolby Headphone for gaming. Horribly small soundstage and 3D sound field was bad.

Quote:

Cheers

1) All you would do is run a cable from the 3.5mm headphone out jack on the mixamp to the input jack of a desktop or portable amp. You'd still get all the features of the mixamp (mix voice, DH, etc.).

2) Not rightly sure what you mean by "voice"? If you are asking if it will increase the voice chat volume independently, then no. It will increase the overall volume level, though.

3) What i meant by no significant improvement, was the quality of sound (clarity and no distortion). Adding the desktop amp did indeed increase the max volume level, but i did not need that seeing as the mixamp provides enough volume for me (or anyone else that has half their hearing).

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If powered properly and using a PC (NOT 360, 360 audio blows), DT880 blows AD700 out of the water for gaming, especially the 600 ohm version.

I don't know about that... Their sound signature is similar enough, and games/movies generally don't demand the resolution differences that music does. If I was looking for a marked improvement over my AD700's with games/music, I would look for some bassier headphones, maybe closed as well. But the 880's and 700's (very close to 900's) are too similar sounding for non-music purposes to justify the pricetag.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about that... Their sound signature is similar enough, and games/movies generally don't demand the resolution differences that music does. If I was looking for a marked improvement over my AD700's with games/music, I would look for some bassier headphones, maybe closed as well. But the 880's and 700's (very close to 900's) are too similar sounding for non-music purposes to justify the pricetag.

I agree sound stage wise, but the overall signature is significantly different. The 880 2005's have a much richer sound with a lot more bass impact. All of which makes a difference for games and movies.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

thanks for comments foe-hammer, i think i must be a bit deaf!

I echo that. I've been reading along and am potentially in a similar position to hotspur.

Like I said in my op I've got the astro mixamp and the dt880s (2005) on order (currently using the ad900s). My biggest concern is that if I introduce my labtec boom mic into the mix, the mixamp will struggle with both game and voice volume.

Foe-hammer, or any other member reading, could you recommend any suitable desktop amps or somthing that will work alongside the mixamp. I'm looking for something that will allow me to keep ithe mixamp functionality i.e. game and voice balance control, but boost the overall volume output when used alongside it?

I've got no expereince of using desktop amps (only ever used the mixamp) and a starting point would be fantastic.

Jamie

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 29
I dont know whether the USA version of the mixamp is louder than the version we have in the Uk as that may explain why there seems to be a difference of opinion in sound.

To my own ears the DT880 lack detail as well as being too quiet through the mixamp. (on movies anyway - they just about will do on games) I am sure that the DT880 are fantastic but i sent mine back as they just dont work well with the mixamp. I am now a happy owner of a set of AD900 and am absolutely loving them.

I am running a 3 meter stretch of optical wire so that may be another thing that is effecting the sound

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshinewelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know whether the USA version of the mixamp is louder than the version we have in the Uk as that may explain why there seems to be a difference of opinion in sound.

To my own ears the DT880 lack detail as well as being too quiet through the mixamp. (on movies anyway - they just about will do on games) I am sure that the DT880 are fantastic but i sent mine back as they just dont work well with the mixamp. I am now a happy owner of a set of AD900 and am absolutely loving them.

I am running a 3 meter stretch of optical wire so that may be another thing that is effecting the sound

As you know I own the ad900s too and have always rated them. Like I said over on AVFs, the positive things I've read about the dt880s have turned my head slightly and I've wondered if they would be any benefit over the ad900s. From what I've read the dt880s may have a more detailed sound and a bit more bass than the ad900s, but if theres issues of driving them with the mixamp then this will out weigh any positives for me.

Its really difficult to get a difinitive opinion on the dt880s suitibility with the mixamp because everywhere I look opinion is different and divided.(understandable really because everything with headphones is subjective).

Looks like I'll have to test a set for myself, otherwise I'll be wondering 'what if?'

Jamie

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #26 of 29
There's plenty of volume with the DT880/250+MIXAMP. Foe-hammer, I can't even understand how you can max the master volume. Even with full bias towards voice, the volume is far too loud for me.

The problem I'm having is hearing other people. I have to have the voice knob more than 3 o'clock to hear people.

Although I've never used audiophile headphones, I don't really feel any soundstage with the DT880s. I definitely recognize the detail, but I can barely hear the special units in Left 4 Dead 2. Except for the detail, it was actually a step down from my 5.1 speaker setup. I'm not sure if that should be expected.

I noticed some distortion in Left 4 Dead 2, but remember I haven't burned these in yet and Left 4 Dead 2 is a loud game.

My ears also get warm after only 30 minutes of use.

Anyways, I'm going to do some gentle burn-in before doing tougher tests.

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baztian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's plenty of volume with the DT880/250+MIXAMP. Foe-hammer, I can't even understand how you can max the master volume. Even with full bias towards voice, the volume is far too loud for me.

The problem I'm having is hearing other people. I have to have the voice knob more than 3 o'clock to hear people.

Although I've never used audiophile headphones, I don't really feel any soundstage with the DT880s. I definitely recognize the detail, but I can barely hear the special units in Left 4 Dead 2. Except for the detail, it was actually a step down from my 5.1 speaker setup. I'm not sure if that should be expected.

I noticed some distortion in Left 4 Dead 2, but remember I haven't burned these in yet and Left 4 Dead 2 is a loud game.

My ears also get warm after only 30 minutes of use.

Anyways, I'm going to do some gentle burn-in before doing tougher tests.

If you put the master knob on the mixamp to max, then turn the small knob right until the game music is at the perfect volume level it will give you the loudest level for game chat volume. That is why i do it this way, because i agree - game chat is overall too quiet. If you turn the small knob all the way to the right, you will have no game volume and just chat. I the 2 knobs on the mixamp adjusted the game volume chat volume independently, instead of "mixing" them.

The other thing to do to get louder game chat is set voice output in the 360 dash to "both". Having it set to "headset" makes chat too soft.

Dolby Headphone is a DSP. By it's very nature, it does not work optimally with everyone. You might be one of them. I get better sound positioning and sound distance with DH and DT880's then i do with a good 5.1 speaker system.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 29
I'm waking up this topic to add a little question :

i'm thinking about buying a dt880+mixamp for my 360 (game) as well for my PC (movies) and maybe for in-bed-ZuneHD-listenning (even if i've already got a sr125 Grado which fits well with the Zune).

So, will it help to choose a 32 ohms dt880 ? What is the impact on the SQ compare to the 250 ohms ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back