Beyer DT880s suitable for gaming with mix amp?
Dec 21, 2009 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jamienufc

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I current use the Audio technica ad900s and the astro mixamp for gaming on my 360, along with a modded boom mic attachment.

Whilst I'm pretty happy with the ad900s, I've thought about upgrading. As I understand things the beyer dt880s have got a similar sized sound stage to the ad900s, but provide more detail and seperation in their sound and more bass (useful for when watching movies).

I've been reading up and initally heard good things about the Beyer dt880s (250 ohm) when paired with the mixamp for gaming, but recently I've read reports that the mixamp wont drive the beyers properly resulting in a muddy sound.

My usage is about 70% gaming and 30% movies and the games I play are mostly fps's where directional sound is important. I wanted to post and see what peoples thoughts are on the dt880s when paired with the mixamp? I know that I wouldn't get the best out of the beyers through the mixamp, but I was lead to believe that it was more than capable of driving them properly and producing a decent sound. I initially considered an upgrade to the senn hd650s, but read that the mix amp definatly wont drive these sufficently so began looking at the beyers.

What are peoples opinion?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've got the dt880s on order and they are due to arrive on the 4th jan 2010.

also is there anyone out there that aswell as using the dt880s with a mixamp, uses them with a boom mic? Can you get a good balance of sound?

Jamie

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 29
i have had the dt880 and the ad900 at the same time. they sound very similar. the dt880 isnt that hard to drive for a 250 ohm can but it definately likes an amp!

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using a DAC on your 360?

How the sound is hooked up on your 360?

I have an optical out cable running from my 360 into the astro mixamp. I've then got my headphones plugged into the mixamp along with my boom mic. Currently running dolby headphone from the mix amp.

My big concern is that the mixamp isn't up to the job of running the Beyer dt880 (250 ohms) satisfactory.

Jamie

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 29
Here's the reality of the situation:

You've got the headphones on route. You're already questioning whether you'll be getting 100% out of them from the mix amp. Therefore, you'll always be questioning this rig. That is, until you buy a desktop amp with sufficient juice.

So the solution is to buy a desktop amp asap and save yourself the torture!

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 29
I've had both DT880's and AD700's, and for gaming and movies there is NO reason to upgrade between the two. The DT880's have a strong treble peak (metallic sounding to me), while the AD700's have a higher pitched "treble noise". Otherwise the 700's have a bigger soundstage, but otherwise have a very similar sound for games/movies.

If you had a nice dac/amp and were into jazz/classical I would say the DT880 upgrade is a no brainer, but in your situation it's a lateral move with a possible comfort downgrade (DT880's are bigger, still comfy but are heavier and your ears will get warmer).

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 29
I have the mixamp and DT880 2005 250ohms. I first used my vhp-2 desktop headphone amp along with the mixamp to power the dt880. I then tried it without the desktop amp. The mixamp drove the dt880's great. I did not notice any significant difference in sound quality. Plenty of volume and no distortion. Plus the DT880's have the best synergy with Dolby Headphone of any headphone that i've tried. There is a reason why Beyerdynamics uses their DT880's with their $2500 Headzone DSP 5.1 system.

Don't worry, you will be pleased with the results.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 29
I too have the DT880 with the mixamp but i am finding the combination a little under powered when it comes to volume, more so with movies, which i'll come onto. if a am not mixing game and voice on the mixamp, and have the balance 100% to game, then it's no problem when gaming. more of an issue when mixing voice unto the equation. i may try using the MW2 throat mic directly into the controller and setting the 360 to output voice through the tv, this apparently works for some.
as i said it's more when watching a movie, at max volume, it's just about lous enough, but i feel i could on occasion want more. would i benefit from a separate amp purely for movies? i dont listen to music that much.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, FYI - I'm using the JVC equivalent of the mix amp with a 3.5mm to RCA feeding my desktop amp. This set-up is working great.

Does that system have voice integration?

I'm receiving the DT880 and Mixamp combo today. Needless to say, I'm worried with all the conflicting opinions here and on AVF (returning these is going to be a real b****)

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hotspur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too have the DT880 with the mixamp but i am finding the combination a little under powered when it comes to volume, more so with movies, which i'll come onto. if a am not mixing game and voice on the mixamp, and have the balance 100% to game, then it's no problem when gaming. more of an issue when mixing voice unto the equation. i may try using the MW2 throat mic directly into the controller and setting the 360 to output voice through the tv, this apparently works for some.
as i said it's more when watching a movie, at max volume, it's just about lous enough, but i feel i could on occasion want more. would i benefit from a separate amp purely for movies? i dont listen to music that much.

To me, your work around would totally defeat the purpose of the MixAmp. Unless, you're stuck with what you have, wouldn't switching headphones make more sense?

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baztian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me, your work around would totally defeat the purpose of the MixAmp. Unless, you're stuck with what you have, wouldn't switching headphones make more sense?

This as what I am thinking. I would lose the voice mix feature but I would still have DH. The DT880 are already packed up In case I do send them back. Just exploring all options before I do look at other cans.
Those that use an amp with the mixamp, how does that work and what benefits do you see?

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the mixamp and DT880 2005 250ohms. I first used my vhp-2 desktop headphone amp along with the mixamp to power the dt880. I then tried it without the desktop amp. The mixamp drove the dt880's great. I did not notice any significant difference in sound quality. Plenty of volume and no distortion. Plus the DT880's have the best synergy with Dolby Headphone of any headphone that i've tried. There is a reason why Beyerdynamics uses their DT880's with their $2500 Headzone DSP 5.1 system.

Don't worry, you will be pleased with the results.

Foe-Hammer i see from your sig that you have the Ultrasone Hfi 780, which some people rate for gaming. have you tried them with the mixamp and if so what do you think of them?

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hotspur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This as what I am thinking. I would lose the voice mix feature but I would still have DH. The DT880 are already packed up In case I do send them back. Just exploring all options before I do look at other cans.
Those that use an amp with the mixamp, how does that work and what benefits do you see?

I'm interested in this also. Especially if it would enable me to keep my mixamp for the voice balance, but between the 2 amps have enough umph to drive the beyer dt880s satisfactory.

Jamie

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both DT880's and AD700's, and for gaming and movies there is NO reason to upgrade between the two. The DT880's have a strong treble peak (metallic sounding to me), while the AD700's have a higher pitched "treble noise". Otherwise the 700's have a bigger soundstage, but otherwise have a very similar sound for games/movies.

If you had a nice dac/amp and were into jazz/classical I would say the DT880 upgrade is a no brainer, but in your situation it's a lateral move with a possible comfort downgrade (DT880's are bigger, still comfy but are heavier and your ears will get warmer).

If powered properly and using a PC (NOT 360, 360 audio blows), DT880 blows AD700 out of the water for gaming, especially the 600 ohm version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back