Beyer Dt880 vs Ultrasone Pro 750
Nov 30, 2008 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
Source: Apple 80GB Ipod
Amp: Meier 2move
Which headphone is best as an all-around headphone (jazz,rock, blues, pop, classical, the whole shebang)?

Which one is more comfortable, has better bass, mids, highs, and detail?

I've been searching through the sight and i cant find a comparison that isn't about gaming or monitoring.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which headphone is best as an all-around headphone (jazz,rock, blues, pop, classical, the whole shebang)?

I've been searching through the sight and i cant find a comparison that isn't about gaming or monitoring.

Comfortable- DT880
Bass- Pro750
Mids, highs, detail- DT880

When it comes to details DT880 is excellent. As an all arounder for the genres you listed, I would go with the DT880. I don't listen to classical or jazz, however, I heard the DT880s are great for those genres. For rock and blues, between the two, I would choose the 750s. YMMV and it would be a matter of preference.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfortable- DT880
Bass- Pro750
Mids, highs, detail- DT880

When it comes to details DT880 is excellent. As an all arounder for the genres you listed, I would go with the DT880. I don't listen to classical or jazz, however, I heard the DT880s are great for those genres. For rock and blues, between the two, I would choose the 750s. YMMV and it would be a matter of preference.

x2

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 14
Yes I've tried the 250ohm (2005 vintage) variant on a move on high current and its pretty decent
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 14
im really torn here, i keep looking at mixed reviews about the pro 750 and i cant commit to it. While on the other hand the dt880 getting some pretty good reviews but im thinking that for my purposes im going to need a closed can. Should i take a risk and go with the 750's, will i be happy with them, or should i go with a different closed headphone, if so, can someone recommend a good one my budget is $300 or less.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 14
the difference that stands out the most between these 2 cans is the amount of bass. the pro750 has a lot more than the dt880. if you like your bass on the overbearing side, then go for the pro750. for a more neutral approach, get the dt880. the bass on the ultrasones can get boomy if you listen to really bassy recordings (i have mine stuffed with cotton and it really tightens the bass). the dt880s will always have relatively tight bass (if the recording demands it), but will not go as deep as the ultrasones or be as strong. bass is really ultrasone's specialty, so it's hard to beat there.
as for other aspects, i found the soundstage of the dt880 to be larger, they're better constructed, more comfortable, just as detailed as the pro750s, but a little boring. the 750s sound like they're closer to you (like grados but not that extreme), and have an exciting sound. they have a hump in the very upper treble registers as well.

Nov 30, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 14
are the pro 750's comfortable enough to wear for extended amount of time like a flight 4-5 hour flight?

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

are the pro 750's comfortable enough to wear for extended amount of time like a flight 4-5 hour flight?

Good luck with that.
ph34r.gif
beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 14
Open headphones are unsuitable for flying and closed ones are generally uncomfortable. Perhaps, though, a DT770 would be an option, those are likely the most comfortable closed cans around.

Closed never sounds as good as open. With the exception of IEM's, it's always leaving a lot of quality behind. Though, I haven't heard the Dx00 range from Denon, which would be good contenders as well, though they only block a little bit of noise.

DT770's sound like your best bet, to me.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

One of the problems with discussing the detail (as well as other aspects of audio) of the Pro 750 involves the idea of whether or not the listener is able to hear the full sound stage of the Pro 750. I've found that when someone is unable to hear the full sound stage of the Pro 750, they think it's detail is much less than it actually is. I happen to be one of the fortunate ones who is capable of apparently hearing more of the sound stage than some others. (For unknown reasons some people are not capable of hearing the full sound stage of the Pro 750 which involves the S-Logic "surround effect". I wrote about some of the proposed theories relating to this in my thread "The Sound of the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 Headphones" (see link in my signature area). So, in making this comparison this factor has to be taken into consideration.

Hearing the full sound stage of the Pro 750 involves hearing, for example, different instruments in an orchestra all around one's head as well as some sounds (such as echo or reverb) above one's head and sometimes other sounds, such as bass (sometimes) below one's head in the area of one's chest or mid back. If one hears the sound stage of the Pro 750 similarly to that of other non-Ultrasone headphones and they describe the sound as "a somewhat wide sound stage but typical of a right-middle-left sound scheme" than the person making that description is definitely not hearing the full Pro 750 sound stage and is also missing some of it's detail.

Galesden, I can not say for sure if you would be able to hear the full Pro 750 sound stage and consequently a fuller extent of it's detail but I do know that a couple of the posters on this thread (I shall refrain from mentioning names here), that I know of, have written in posts (in essence) that they have been unable to hear the Pro 750's full sound stage although they still enjoy it's sound otherwise.

One last thought, I disagree that the Pro 750 has an "over bearing bass". To my ears, the Pro 750's bass frequencies are the most realistic sounding that I've ever heard from a headphone. It constantly amazes me how "true" the sounds of the "stand up" bass and cellos are by way of the Pro 750, as only one example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back