Beyer DT880 right side problem - Help
May 21, 2016 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Inebrians

New Head-Fier
TL;DR - I have a DT880 and for the 4th time in 2-3 years it just randomly stopts working in one of the sides. Literally just stops out of nowhere. Need help identifying the problem.

-The other 3 times i sent it to an authorized repair from beyer and every time they say its the drive,that it stoped working and no further explanation is given .. of course its the most expensive thing to repair. Anyway, here is what i can give of information.

-If you turn WAY up the volume (windows and amp) it starts working again,when the volume is turned back down it will go back to being dead in seconds.

-First time it happened when i still didnt have the amp.

-They sit on the table 24/7, dont use the cans anywhere else.

-The welds look fine.

-Tested in various sources,same thing.

I guess it can be the driver, but its just so much ******** because there is nothing to warrant this cicle of couple of months working just fine and then it just drops dead...I live in a small town and not in the US so buying a driver and repairing it myself in not an option. Im gonna try and take them to some specialized shop here but it would be better if i had the source of the problem because i fell like they are not so specialized as they say.

Sorry if i broke any rules or the grammar is bad.

May 21, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 7
  -If you turn WAY up the volume (windows and amp) it starts working again,when the volume is turned back down it will go back to being dead in seconds.

Can you expand on this?

May 21, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Can you expand on this?

Sure, the right side looks dead, but if you turn the volume in the amp past 70% and on windows too, it will start working perfectly fine.. Of course it's impossible to use the headphones because of the loudness so I turn the volume down again, it will work for some time 5-20seconds and go back to be dead...
I guess it has something to do with the amount of current being used to power that hard th headphones but I'm no expert on this so...

May 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 7
The problem might be caused by:

1) Defective cable --> turn the cable in various positions while monitoring the signal / sound in both channels
2) Defective connector plug --> turn the connector plug around while in the jack and monitor the signal / sound in both channels
3) Cold joint or broken wire between the cable and the driver or between the connector and the cable --> disassemble the headset so that you can measure and verify with multimeter that there're proper connection from the connector plug all the way to the driver. If the connection is okay, the problem is very likely localized to the driver

However it's very likely that the problem lies in the cable or the connector itself, there have been similar problems with Beyerdynamic headphones before caused by a broken or damaged wiring.Good luck for trouble shooting!

May 21, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 7
  The problem might be caused by:

1) Defective cable --> turn the cable in various positions while monitoring the signal / sound in both channels
2) Defective connector plug --> turn the connector plug around while in the jack and monitor the signal / sound in both channels
3) Cold joint or broken wire between the cable and the driver or between the connector and the cable --> disassemble the headset so that you can measure and verify with multimeter that there're proper connection from the connector plug all the way to the driver. If the connection is okay, the problem is very likely localized to the driver

However it's very likely that the problem lies in the cable or the connector itself, there have been similar problems with Beyerdynamic headphones before caused by a broken or damaged wiring.Good luck for trouble shooting!

1 and 2 have no effects , 3 i will try this week since i dont have a multimeter.

In another forum someone said it could be the voice coil ,what do you think? and if it is,would i need a new drive or it can be fixed?

thanks btw

May 21, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 7
  1 and 2 have no effects , 3 i will try this week since i dont have a multimeter.

In another forum someone said it could be the voice coil ,what do you think? and if it is,would i need a new drive or it can be fixed?

thanks btw

Yes like I said before, it might be that you'll find out that the right driver is somehow damaged. If that's the case and especially if the coil itself is damaged, it will be quite hard to fix without the proper tools and it just might be easier to replace the driver module as a whole. However I still suggest that you begin to locate the problem one point at a time, starting with the most likely and the easiest solution before ordering any expensive spare parts.That's all I can do, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back