Beyer DT880 can it be changed for balanced operation
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mikeb

100+ Head-Fier
How easy is it to convert the standard Beyer DT 880 headphones into balanced operation, and how can it be done, are there any UK based firms that will carry out these mods?

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 7
You will have to recable your phones for balanced. Your current cable has a 3 conductor cable and you'll need 4 conductors if you want your phones balanced.
It can be done by yourself but if you are not comfortable with DIY you can always find a DIYer near you or try one of head-fi's sponsors.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How easy is it to convert the standard Beyer DT 880 headphones into balanced operation, and how can it be done, are there any UK based firms that will carry out these mods?

It is easy if you are relatively ok with a soldering iron.
You will need to either braid a cable or get a balanced/quad-mic cable like mogami ect.

Search the diy section for a guide
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 7
I can't comment on the ease of doing the work, since someone else did mine, but the results were terrific in terms of sound with a balanced amp. Here are mine:

DT880002-small.jpg

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 7
LOL! It's up next in the cue for write-up - fully broken in, just need another week of listening. No doubt, nice amp though, and a very good match with the DT880 in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back