Beyer DT770's 80ohm vs 250 ohm on Samson c-que 8 amp??
Nov 26, 2008 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rapidman17

New Head-Fier
Ok hil all, been looking around these forums for a while and only just joined... after stepping into this world of sound my budget has now tripled...
darthsmile.gif

anyway, I have decided on getting the DT770's but am stuck on whether to get the 80ohm version or 250 ohm version (i can get a second hand 250ohm 1 for about £60 (round $100?). I know 80 ohms are easier to drive and i need an amp for the 250ohm ones......i am getting the samson c-que 8 desktop amp for £25 second hand ($40?) . Will these be good enough to drive the 250ohm while giving quality sound?

I listen to hip-hop/ rap mainly ( not 'real' music i know... dnt flame me
tongue_smile.gif
) and gaming wise i play cod4... apart from that it wont be used elsewhere. Also gona be usin Asus Xonar d2x soundcard if it helps.
Cant spend anythng more at all, ie only that amp (unless someone is willin to donate 1 lol)..already am over my orginal budget by far was gone get sum logitech headset
frown.gif
) and school aint gona pay for itself...

So please help me all you Soundgod's>>>
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Bumpy, bumper, bumperton.
I'd like to know as well.
From what I've heard, you kinda need an amp for both. The pro models are power hungry. I think I'm leaning towards the 80's. Found some on Ebay for a good price.

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 10
yh, i just want to know if the samson c-que 8 will be good enough without sacrificin audio quality, although im not really an audophile so a slight sacrifice is ok i spose?

also if there is any other option under $50
frown.gif

hav absolutely not money to spare over this amount...am already eatin into school money man
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Are you after the DT770 Pro 250 ohm, or the DT770 consumer edition 250 ohm?
Makes quite a difference.
If you are referring to the Pro versions, than the 80 ohm is regarded better sounding, because of a lesser aggressive treble.
If you are referring to the 2005 consumer edition, than I suggest to get these, because they sounds better than the two Pro versions.

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 10
i think the one that the guy is offering is the pro version...thanks for bringing that up actually, its quite important to know....however to a person that is not an audophile, wil it be tha much of a difference between them?

also.... i dont think i can choose which version i can get really as this is the lowest price im gettin any version for (£60) and cant stretch any further.

lastly, i read a mini review and the person said that the xonar d2x was capable of drivin the 250 ohm version easily enough. any experience with this?

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Hello,

Welcome to head-fi and please refrain from bumping your thread more than once a day. It annoys most people and I would believe they won't be really helpful with someone not respecting this netiquette. I might suggest you use the search button as this subject has been fully covered many times.

To sum up.. the DT770 PRO are the bass heavy headphones with recessed mids and the 250 ohm version are far more balanced. I say both headphones will benefit from a amp and I heard them. Without an amp the bass impact won't be as punchy and headphones will sound flat or dull. I still own the DT770 and they are better sounding to me as I am a basshead.

Charles

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

Welcome to head-fi and please refrain from bumping your thread more than once a day. It annoys most people and I would believe they won't be really helpful with someone not respecting this netiquette. I might suggest you use the search button as this subject has been fully covered many times.

To sum up.. the DT770 PRO are the bass heavy headphones with recessed mids and the 250 ohm version are far more balanced. I say both headphones will benefit from a amp and I heard them. Without an amp the bass impact won't be as punchy and headphones will sound flat or dull. I still own the DT770 and they are better sounding to me as I am a basshead.

Charles

Do you mean the Pro 250 ohm, or the Consumer 250 ohm? The latter is more balanced, the Pro one not.
If OP use the search buttom, he may be totally confused, because most headfi-ers are talking about DT770, without telling which version they are referring to.
The problem is, there are four (!) different DT770 models for sale.
And I don't think many people has heard the Pro 250 ohm, because the 80 ohm is far more popular.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 10
sory bout bumping ... .i wont do it in the future.... its just i needed an answer before any of the deals i had going fell through
redface.gif

i have searched through the site alot regarding this topic... its just there isnt any reference to using cheap amps such as the samson c-que 8... and whether it will do the job?

thnks and sory at the same time
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back