Beyer DT770 Pro, help with upgrage
Feb 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking to replace my Beyer DT 770 Pro (80ohm) as I have had so much use out of them. I am unsure if I should get a new pair of the 770s but in the 250ohm model, or look for a newer/better model. I absolutely love the comfort on the 770s, thus they got the most usage out of all my headphones, the most go-to out of the lot.
I guess I am looking for another closed headphone, as I have other open headphones. Is there an upgraded closed beyer model that surpasses the 770s?

My amp is a Burson Conductor.

Any help would be great :)

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 3
DT770 Pro 250 is a different headphone than the 80 version, it's considerably brighter, has less bass and more mids, it's quite similar sounding to T1's when I compare them directly, but with just slightly more bass punch, and slightly lower resolution, but it's sharper sounding and feels more detailed. It's more detailed and open sounding than 80 ohm version, but more sibilant and fatiguing as well. I would call it a slight upgrade if you like that kind of sound, but it's more of a change than an all out improvement. The other closed back Beyer that would be an improvement is the T5P.  T70 is technically better than 770's, but it's extremely bright and bass light, and I think almost nobody could use that headphone for music listening. 250 ohm version of the 770's is also not ideal for music listening since it can be quite fatiguing, it's more of a pro headphone in my opinion, but again, if you like that ultra detailed sound with a lot of clarity you would like them.

Other than that,  Fostex TH600 is a good bet if you like the DT770's but want something overall better, but don't expect massive improvements, since DT770's are technically already very good headphones and pretty deep in the diminishing returns territory as far as closed back headphones go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back