Beyer DT770 + META42= ?
Nov 20, 2002 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
I'm looking at getting the DT770 to use with my META42, but after reading Joelongwood's impressions, and MacDEF's comments that the bass is just too much with the META in this thread: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=20183, I'm not sure that the DT770 is the right choice.

So, if you have heard the Beyer DT770 with a META42, do you think that they are a poor combination?

If so, maybe I will go with the DT250-250, since its supposed to be closer to neutral, but then again, I am looking for a good rock headphone.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 8
It's a good question, one that I wanted answered before
ordering my meta42. I should have the amp soon enough, and hopefully things will sound good. If I have any salient impressions, I will post them. It may not be in time to be useful to you, but we'll see.

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm still waiting for my source to arrive, so I may not even order the the DT770 (or another new headphone) until January.

So, I would definitely appreciate your impressions whenever you get it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 8
I own the 770s and I recently sold my Meta.
To me, they sounded great together.
Bass was very deep, but it wasn't overpowering.

I didn't have much to compare the Meta/770 combo to, but I liked it.
I have read that different op-amps are better with different phones and music.
So you may want to look into which op-amp you will need for your particular set-up.

Nov 20, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
So, if you have heard the Beyer DT770 with a META42, do you think that they are a poor combination?

My DT770 sound very balanced through my META42. A really fine combination. I really like these cans.

The DT770 sound a little bass heavy with the MG Head. This seems to be the opposite of what joelongwood and MacDEF stated in the other thread. I would think that having a different META42 configuration and me not yet plugging in the right tube combination in the Head might account for this.

Back to your original question, I found the META42/DT770 combo to have plenty of bass, good high frequency extension, and the mids are not recessed as in the DT770/Head. Big, juicy and musical sound and not on the dry side like the META42/Etys. I also use the AD8620 opamp. You can see the exact config in my profile if you would like to compare.

Nov 20, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure my META42 is the same basic configuration as yours. I'm glad to hear that you like the DT770/META42 combo.

Quote:

Big, juicy and musical sound and not on the dry side like the META42/Etys.

I think I would agree that the Etys and the META are a bit dry. I like it, especially for classical, but for rock sometimes I feel like I need a less analytical sound. It seems like the Beyer DT770 will be just about perfect. Thanks again for your input.
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope they don't make me hate my precious Etys!
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Thanks for replying. I'm pretty sure my META42 is the same basic configuration as yours. I'm glad to hear that you like the DT770/META42 combo.

I think I would agree that the Etys and the META are a bit dry. I like it, especially for classical, but for rock sometimes I feel like I need a less analytical sound. It seems like the Beyer DT770 will be just about perfect. Thanks again for your input.
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope they don't make me hate my precious Etys!
biggrin.gif

radrid, I don't believe that the op amps in my META42s are the same as the ones mentioned in this thread, so that most likely accounts for the different perceptions of the Beyer/META combination.
I will tell you, though, that your love affair with the Etys may be in for some rocky times. The Beyers can be called a lot of things, but "analytical" ain't one of 'em. After 3 days of intense listening to the Beyers, I plugged my MS Pros into the Sugden and listened to some of the same things I had been listening to on the Beyers. My first question was, "Where's the bass?" It was just about non-existent, and I know that previously the bass slam on the MS Pros had been excellent. Everything sounded thin.....almost like I was listening to a cheap AM radio.
I had a similar experience when I had been listening to the Etys for a long time.........every other 'phone I listened to sounded thick and almost muddy, with overblown bass. I actually had to wean myself off the Ety sound so that I could once again enjoy my other headphones.
I believe a similar situation is in the making with regards to the Beyers. Not that that's a bad thing.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm curious to find out if anyone else has listened to the DT-770s with a CHA47 amp.To my ears, it's an excellent combo, but I'd like to hear what other people think.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back