Beyer DT770/Fostex T50RP/AKG K612 vs Grado sr80i sibilance or recommendation
Oct 6, 2016 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Greeting everyone, i'm looking to buy one of the two mentioned headphones, dt770 or t50rp (maybe modded or not, not sure if i can fit a good modded one in a similar price as the dt770).

I have a pair of grado sr80i which i really like, but it's sibilance is rather annoying. Fortunately, if i put the cups a bit forwards from my ear, it solves it almost completely and it ends up as a very enjoyable experience.

I will mostly use it for music (rock and classical usually, gotta love dem cellos, though i listen to other things as well) and gaming. Yes, i use the sr80's for gaming, i actually love the mids on them. The bass is pretty bad, but the sound is a lot more natural to my ears. So it makes gaming sound more natural.

And i guess i'm not really into a lot of bass. It's good if it's there as long as it doesn't overpower other sounds though.

In any case i was wondering if there's any advice you can give me about the other two regarding this, or any other suggestions of similar headphones that would fit my needs.

EDIT: Added the k612 to the list because i found a good price.

Basically i can get the k612 for 100 euros, the dt770 for 150 and the t50 for 175.

Which is more worth it?

Oct 7, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 7
I would say to get get modded Fostex T50RP.
Or buy the stock T50RP and do some improvements on them yourself.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 7
  Hmm how about the k612 at a lower price than both? 

The AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphone are somewhat power demanding and need to be used with a decent headphone amplifer to sound their best.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 7
  Yeah i have one it's no problem. It's the fiio e10 if i'm not mistaken.

FiiO E10 (or E10K) is somewhat borderline (maybe?) for driving the K612 Pro.
Have you checked out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP200 headphones?

Oct 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Well borderline sounds good enough i think :). I've been reading a bit that the DT770 have a rather harsh sibilance... And my ears are sensitive to it. So i guess i'll have to pass on those. Now that i think about it i did try the dt880 and didn't like it a lot.

How do the k612 compare sibilance wise i wonder? Or do they have good mids?

Kinda thinking either between those or the fostex, though the t50rp's will be stretching my budget quite a bit.

About the HP200, can't really find them at a good price locally... And would like to be able to return them if i don't like them so i think i'll pass on them. Plus, not sure how different they are from the ultrasones i have already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back