beyer dt770, 880, 990 replacement pad/cushion--softskin, gel, velour--COMPARE
Jun 16, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #46 of 65
Those HM5 pads look great on the 8.35. You say no change in bass huh? That intrigues me. I wonder how the velours would be. Like I posted above I really like velours on my 8.35. There are some nice gains in soundstage and such, but a subtle hit to detail and volume. I run my headphones unamped so volume is a concern to me. Not interested in getting amps to mitigate that. I'm wondering if the HM5 pads, being much thicker, would decrease the volume significantly.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #48 of 65
  Those HM5 pads look great on the 8.35. You say no change in bass huh? That intrigues me. I wonder how the velours would be. Like I posted above I really like velours on my 8.35. There are some nice gains in soundstage and such, but a subtle hit to detail and volume. I run my headphones unamped so volume is a concern to me. Not interested in getting amps to mitigate that. I'm wondering if the HM5 pads, being much thicker, would decrease the volume significantly.

Have you never run the 8.35 with an amp? No joke, it's shocking how well these cans scales up with good juice. I was surprised seeing as how they are only 35 Ohms, but they like their power. Not that they can't sound great out of a phone, but with a good amp... It's seriously like HD650 night and day difference. They go from really good closed cans to something that will give reference closed cans a serious run for their money. I can honestly say that when properly amped, I would go between my 8.35 and my LCD-2.2, and not really prefer one over the other. Different signatures, different strengths, equally pleasing.

I've found the 8.35 likes basic solid state power, so if you have a receiver or something with a headphone jack lying around, plug these in and take a listen. You'll be amazed...

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #49 of 65
I
Have you never run the 8.35 with an amp? No joke, it's shocking how well these cans scales up with good juice. I was surprised seeing as how they are only 35 Ohms, but they like their power. Not that they can't sound great out of a phone, but with a good amp... It's seriously like HD650 night and day difference. They go from really good closed cans to something that will give reference closed cans a serious run for their money. I can honestly say that when properly amped, I would go between my 8.35 and my LCD-2.2, and not really prefer one over the other. Different signatures, different strengths, equally pleasing.

I've found the 8.35 likes basic solid state power, so if you have a receiver or something with a headphone jack lying around, plug these in and take a listen. You'll be amazed...

I've heard them out of my Edirol fa 101 audio interface, iPhone, iPad, and a Denon DJ mixer. They sound great with everything but the DJ mixer. The headphone output on the DJ mixer puts out quite a bit of juice, more than anything else I own, but the dynamics get squashed and there is more distortion when I tried the 8.35 with it.

How long have you had your 8.35? I've only had mine for like 2 weeks and it has a problem with the headband extention mechanism. If you ever took the headphones apart the headband is just held in by a cheap plastic piece and a small screw. The hole for the screw in the plastic is stripped and the screw is loose. There is barely any tension on the right side headband extention as a result. Did you have or heard of any similar problems?

After seeing how cheap and soft this plastic is I'm quite disappointed. It's like the Achilles Heel of the headphone and I'm concerned it's going to be a recurring issue and an inevitability in time to have this problem again at some point.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #50 of 65
I
I've heard them out of my Edirol fa 101 audio interface, iPhone, iPad, and a Denon DJ mixer. They sound great with everything but the DJ mixer. The headphone output on the DJ mixer puts out quite a bit of juice, more than anything else I own, but the dynamics get squashed and there is more distortion when I tried the 8.35 with it.

How long have you had your 8.35? I've only had mine for like 2 weeks and it has a problem with the headband extention mechanism. If you ever took the headphones apart the headband is just held in by a cheap plastic piece and a small screw. The hole for the screw in the plastic is stripped and the screw is loose. There is barely any tension on the right side headband extention as a result. Did you have or heard of any similar problems?

After seeing how cheap and soft this plastic is I'm quite disappointed. It's like the Achilles Heel of the headphone and I'm concerned it's going to be a recurring issue and an inevitability in time to have this problem again at some point.

Definitely give them a listen out of a dedicated amplifier, even a full-size speaker amp with a headphone-out port will do. You'll be shocked...

I've had mine going on three years now, and I've been pretty lucky, durability-wise. But then again, I've never used the extension mechanism, since I have a tiny noggin and delicate effeminate features like a Bangkok lady-boy. Wait, what?

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #51 of 65
Sorry for posting it here but any ideas about replacement pads for Beyerdynamic T70p? I love their airiness and resolution, however they sound a bit too bright for my taste. Moreover I'd like to feel more punch and midbass too. I read about Alpha pads but they seem to have a different shape. What about Hifiman HE-500 velour pads mentioned here some time ago?

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #57 of 65
  Nevermind, I managed to put them on. Took some effort but worked out in the end.

Now, how do you like that?

Do the ears have enough room in there?

I just bought DT770 32ohm with leather pads and the top and bottom of my ears gently touch the pads which gets really uncomfortable after a while. If the pads were a little thinner I wouldn't have that problem. Does the oval HM5 pad have longer top-to-bottom diameter from the inside? Do the HM5 pads keep your ears farther from the drivers that the 770 stock pads would?

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #59 of 65
  Now, how do you like that?

Do the ears have enough room in there?

I just bought DT770 32ohm with leather pads and the top and bottom of my ears gently touch the pads which gets really uncomfortable after a while. If the pads were a little thinner I wouldn't have that problem. Does the oval HM5 pad have longer top-to-bottom diameter from the inside? Do the HM5 pads keep your ears farther from the drivers that the 770 stock pads would?

They feel bit tight, but it's not really major problem for me. Sonically it feels like the bass is lacking and I'm considering going back to the stock velour pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back