Beyer DT770-80's - do they burn in that much?
Apr 20, 2005 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
For those that have had their DT770-80's for a while, do they change much sonically after burn-in, and if so, how much burn-in has your pair gotten? I've recently gone back to them and they sound so nice when amped properly, that I'm wondering how much better it gets from here.... also, how does the sound change? Smoother, bassier, more dynamic?

Just curious...

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm in the same boat that you are in, except for the amp. Just wondering, what amp do you use with your DT770s? I'm looking to get an amp for this awesome pair of headphones.

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 13
I just got a pair myself and was curious too. I do like the sound already, but I think my biggest issue is the pads, I figure after a lot more usage they will soften up and mold to my head better, giving the drivers closer placement, and even more bass and a better seal. I only think this b/c if I apply slight pressure the the can and squeeze them towards my head, sound gets a little better.

I just sold my gilmore lite so I am ampless, but they did sound good with it for the two nights they were together, just had to turn the volume up more that with my grado's. Getting an SR71 in a few days and I'll post some impressions when I get it with these cans.

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by yblocgerg
I just sold my gilmore lite so I am ampless, but they did sound good with it for the two nights they were together,

I luved my 770's with the Glite. I thought it was a great match. The DAC1 is better; well it should be for the money.
smily_headphones1.gif

The pads will soften and form. To expediate the process,you can try rinsing them with water and letting them dry.

I enjoyed the new pads with their Senn like Soundstage, but I see your a grado man...

A 325 vs 770 comparison would be interesting to me.

Apr 20, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 13
I actually am enjoying the increased soundstage, but better sound potential (to me)comes out with what can only be described as a better seal. I will do a little 325/770 comparison for ya
cool.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

I actually am enjoying the increased soundstage, but better sound potential (to me)comes out with what can only be described as a better seal. I will do a little 325/770 comparison for ya
cool.gif

Uh, do you have big ears? Own twinkies here and never had a problem with the seal. The soundstage will condense once those pads get friendly.

I must add that the synergy with the Glite was also do the 1212m side of the equation. The 1212 is a dry source, while the DAC1 is bright and forward. The DAC1>Glite combination was very bright, taxing to my ears.

Look forward to the 325 comparison - sweetness!

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

cool.gif

Do you have the classic SR-325s or the new SR-325i?

Apr 20, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 13
Classic's w/ flats.

Apr 21, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pooMonger
I'm in the same boat that you are in, except for the amp. Just wondering, what amp do you use with your DT770s? I'm looking to get an amp for this awesome pair of headphones.

I'm using a Porta Corda Mk II and I'm quite impressed w/ the synergy between it and the DT770-80's.

Apr 21, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 13
Kramer's mod is awesome - they are waaaay more comfy just by moving that support bit to the sides. I have 2 sets of 770/80's right now - one thoroughly broken in ,and another brand new. There is a difference in soundstaging for sure - and the lows hit a bit lower. The broken in pair sounds very open, and its much easier to judge musical separation. The new pair is oh so comfy - those pads rule. I would attribute the lower bass in the broken in pair to the pads getting softer too, which moves the driver closer to the ear.

<shameless plug> if anyone wants to buy my broken in 770's, they're in the FS forum right now
tongue.gif
</shameless plug>

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
For those that have had their DT770-80's for a while, do they change much sonically after burn-in, and if so, how much burn-in has your pair gotten? I've recently gone back to them and they sound so nice when amped properly, that I'm wondering how much better it gets from here.... also, how does the sound change? Smoother, bassier, more dynamic?

Just curious...

Smoother, bassier, more dynamic. That is right .200h at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back