beyer dt770 80 vs 250
Dec 30, 2008 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mispulpfiction

New Head-Fier
So i'm pretty new to this head-fi stuff...i am inquiring here about the impedance of phones, and how it relates to amplifiers

I used to use a set of sennheiser hd212 pro's with my ipod and computer for music and gaming.

i'm looking at the dt770's bc i want some closed phones to block out the gf while i game and listen to music.

I am confused about the differences in impedance. I will be sourcing these with a auzentech prelude this will be my dac, and possibly my amp (at least for the time being).

so there are two types of the dt770, the 80 and the 250.

as far as i know the 80, having lower impedence, will require less power to drive (correct???) and the 250 ohm version would require more power to drive.

so based on this if i got the 80, i would be more likely to get away with using the sound card as an amp, vs using the 250 ohm version, which would be begging more for an amp....is this correct/incorrect, or somewhere inbetween?

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 10
It is the sensitivity that matters, not impedance. Most of beyers 80 and 250 ohm models of the same headphone have similar sensitivity ratings - the DT 250 80 and 250 ohm for example required the same volume level out of several amps I had on hand.

Dec 30, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 10
Well, if the drivers themselves are different (which I believe is the case) then the sky is the limit as far as differences. I strongly suggest you search for "dt770 differences" a few times.

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 10
I will make it more complicated for you
beyersmile.png

There are four different DT770 models:
-DT770 2005 consumer edition (250 ohm), they are the most hi-fi sounding, need an amp
-DT770 Pro 80 ohm, those are the bass monsters with the most friendly treble of the bunch, they are not so amp dependent
-DT770 Pro 250 ohm, these has a pumped up bass and treble
-DT770 M (80 ohm), these are for drummers and the like

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 10
i 'downgraded' from the sennheiser hd650 (though i still have them) to the dt770 pro 80ohm, and think they are stunning. the bottom end has to be experienced at some stage in your life. imo they make the hd650s sound limp wristed and shrill.

the massive bass response of the 80 ohm model can be significantly tightened and attenuated by a half decent amplifier which will take them by the scruff of the neck. but the 770 sounds far far better than it has any right to straight out of an ipod.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i 'downgraded' from the sennheiser hd650 (though i still have them) to the dt770 pro 80ohm, and think they are stunning. the bottom end has to be experienced at some stage in your life. imo they make the hd650s sound limp wristed and shrill.

the massive bass response of the 80 ohm model can be significantly tightened and attenuated by a half decent amplifier which will take them by the scruff of the neck. but the 770 sounds far far better than it has any right to straight out of an ipod.

I thought the bass of the DT770 Pro/80's was wimpy no matter what source I used. My MDR-7506's have more bass and MUCH better detail. I don't get why people like this phone?

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 10
What amp do you use? It was most probably because your amp wasn't able to supply enough power to your DT770s

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Well I bought the 770-80 because it was $99 used. I was sort of interested in hearing it and figured at that price if I didn't like it I could resell. I'm not reselling them. They aren't the "best" headphone that I own, but they are way too much fun to sell.

There is no way the bass is wimpy. I have the MDR 7506, which I use only for mixing. They voice piano more accurately than any headphone I've ever heard, but they are fatiguing to listen to for very long. The bass doesn't even approach that of the 770.

At $99 used, the 770-80 is a a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back