Beyer DT770 - 80 question
Apr 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nihility

100+ Head-Fier
i just purchased some brand new beyer dt770 - 80's and i have never really owned a decent pair of full sized phones (mainly IEM's)

wondering if anyone has done a burn in on these, or should i just let it burn in by itself?

just wondering, i know some cans it barely changes over time, while others it is a huge diff.

just wondering before they come in the mail :p

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 5
If half of the people responding to this thread say that no burn-in is required, and the other half say it is, then would you burn them in?

I don't think you'll ever get a unanimous or fact-based answer on this, so give the headphones a listen and see what you think. If you don't like them, burning them in isn't likely to make you fall in love with them.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 5
For new phones always burn them in with pink noise, but during the process I don't let burn-in get in the way of listening to them. So I just basically use them as I always would, but when I am not using them they are still plugged in with pick noise running in an endless loop.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I purchased pair of 80ohm DT-770s myself a few weeks ago to replace some IEMs (UE Super.fi 5 Pro). I find them to be a vast improvement in both comfort and sound. Still, I find that I already have an itch to upgrade.

I appreciate the plentiful bass on the DT770, but there is a slightly "muffled" quality to them. Its not that they don't have any high-frequencies, they do, but there still seems to be a certain dullness to them. I've heard them accused of being recessed in the mids and, perhaps, that is what I am hearing.

I'm thinking of trying the Ultrasone Pro 750s to see if they are an improvement.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 5
I've experienced burn-in with other headphones, so I guess you could say I'm a "believer," but with the DT-770 in particular I really enjoyed the sound before burn-in. Burn-in evens out the frequency response a bit, but they're really clean and enjoyable before it. If I were you, I'd just start using them and let the process happen naturally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back