Beyer DT770/80 Pro Question
Nov 13, 2006 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Baalzamon

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have Sony MDR-V6s and DT770/80 Pros. I also have some ATH-A900's coming should be here ina week or so.

Anyway, I run my headphones from my computer ( Intel iMac 20inch 2ghz Core Duo ) to my PA2V2 then to my headphone so it looks like such

iMac -> PA2V2 -> 'phones.

I had previously plugged my V6s into my dads run of the mill home stereo amp, a Yamaha A/V amp thats a few years old , and always noticed that they sounded MUCH better when listening to music. That setup is just DVD->Yamaha A/V amp>phones.

Today I decided to try to see how my DT770/80s would sound through them. I figured that since I was running them through my PA2V2 they would sound about the same because the PA2V2 is a headphone amp, albeit a small one , figured it'd be just as good if not equal.

I was shocked at what I heard. My DT770/80 Pro's sounded MUCH better running through my dads Yamaha A/V reciever. Could it just be that the A/V reciever is giving my headphones more power to work with and thus really working the cans to their fullest potential? I mean I didnt even have to turn them up loud or anything, but the sound just sounded much fuller and all the FREQ. across the board sounded fuller and bass was plentiful and tight.

Im at a bit of a crossroad, if a get a better amp like a Headfive will it sound as good as a regular A/V amp or no? I mean I was surprised how much better it sounded.

I figured it might have been a matter of source and mp3s etc, so I took the exact same cds up to my computer and ran them directly through iTunes and it just didnt sound the same as it had through the A/V amp.

Dont get me wrong, the PA2V2 is a nice little amp, but the Yamaha A/V amp trounced being able to make my headphones come alive. Anyone else think that moving up to perhaps a better AMP would take my Beyers to the correct level of power/etc or should I just go get an a/v amp if its going to certain to power them correctly?

thanks in advanced all!

-Emerson

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 3
I just ordered a pair of DT770/80 Pros and I'm looking for and amp & dac to drive them. Needless to say, I would also like to know what kind of amps drive them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back