Beyer dt660 bass mod/ open mod
Sep 11, 2005 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

patrox89

100+ Head-Fier
OK this mod turns the beyer dt660, usually a closed headphone, into an open headphone. Also, it darkens the sound. Stock, the dt660's have a bright sound, highs can be peircing at times, so maybe this mod just makes them more neutral, i dont have other headphones to compare them to so i dont really know. What i do know is that the bass impact greatly increased but accuracy slightly decreased, the mids and highs also became slightly recessed but retained their clarity. Obviously, sound leakage also greatly increases. Soundstage also seems to have increased and vocals seem more life-like. Overall i enjoy the new sound. This mod is easily able to revert back to the stock headphones.

Now an explanation of how i did it. (pics can be taken if people would like to see it).
Opening the cans is relatively easy, just take a thin, flat but stiff (i used a butter knife), and insert it in between the ear pad and the plastic driver housing. (NOTE start with the right earcup) If you cant get the butter knife in between the earpad and the driver housing, pull up on the ear pad as you push the knife in. The knife will only go in about an 1/8th of and inch, once its in, use leverage to pop the ear pad off the housing. you will then see the driver and the connecttion wires. Firstly, remove the right ear driver from the housing, this is easily done seeing as the driver isnt held down by anything. Then remove the felt ring from around the driver. Be careful with the wires however, they are not very thick and look like the can easily be torn from the driver, so do not take the driver too far from the housing. (resting the driver on the other earcup is a perfect spot)

now that the driver is out of the housing your left looking at a circle of felt with a black rubber peice in the middle, if you lift up the felt slightly around the edges, you can see black plastic that the felt is glued to and also some small grey clips that hold the plastic and felt down. Use your butternknife to lever the clips off and remove the plastic and felt all in one peice. then this is easily removable. Under that is a thin peice of black foam, which you can take out or leave in, i took mine out. Now that the felt/plastic peice is out, the right can is open. place the driver back inside the housing and clip the ear pad back into place. Enjoy.

The removal of the left earpad is the same as the right earpad. After that, the left driver housing is a different game. (dont forget to remove the felt ring around the driver.) This is because of the single sided cord design. Their is a small PCB under the driver where the left/right channels are split. After you take the driver out, you must pop the pcb off of the plastic/felt peice. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. A good amount of force is needed to pop the pcb board off of the black plastic peice. Once that is done, you can proceed to pop the felt/pastic cricle out of the driver housing, using the same method you used to pull the one out of the right driver housing. Once the felt/plastic circle is removed, take an adhesive and adhere the pcb board to the inside of the driver housing, right next to the grill. I used blutack, as it is temporary, allowing me to go back to the stock setup. Now reasemble the left driver housing and plug your headphones in and listen away.

If you removed the thin peice of black foam from both earcups, notice now that you can see the drivers from outside of the headphone, not quite as well as sennheisers, but probably the most visible out of all beyer headphones.

All in all its a farely simple mod and easily reversible so anyone with either the dt660's or 440's can try it. I would like to compare these to the dt860's to see how they compare. Also, i would like ot compare them to the dt770's to compare the amount of bass.

On a final note, it appears that the entire headphone grill could be removed on these headphones, making them probably the most open headphone out there, but also leaving them pretty vulnerable to damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back