Beyer DT531, Bloated bass?
Jan 24, 2004 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hadden

100+ Head-Fier
I am finding my new Beyers prominent and rather bloomy in the bass. I have a Meta that JMT originally set up for AKG501s, and a Cambridge 500se cd player. I wonder if the 531s require something different in the amp department. I know they are not considered neutral in the lows, but I find the low frequencies call too much attention to themselves at the moment. I am a bit disappointed and I am afraid I will have to get rid of the Beyers if I can't find a cure. Plucked basses on classical recordings, for instance, have a diffuse boom to the sound. Not good. The bass on Pop recordings, like Dave Matthew's Some Devil I just listened to, seems to take over.

Any Ideas?

Jan 24, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 6
If the Meta you have is designed to match the K501 perhaps it's designed to make up a little for the 501's bass deficiency which would exaggerate the DT531 bass somewhat.

I've definately found the DT531 has too much bass from some amps, specifically the MG Head with stock tubes - it sounds quite boomy and slow.

I've found some of the more sterile and neutral solid state amps make a good match as the DT531 is a fairly lush and warm sounding headphone.

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
How long have you had them for?

They are quite new. I've listened to them for maybe 30 hours. I've never heard much of a difference with burn-in on my other headphones though.

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
If the Meta you have is designed to match the K501 perhaps it's designed to make up a little for the 501's bass deficiency which would exaggerate the DT531 bass somewhat.

I've definately found the DT531 has too much bass from some amps, specifically the MG Head with stock tubes - it sounds quite boomy and slow.

I've found some of the more sterile and neutral solid state amps make a good match as the DT531 is a fairly lush and warm sounding headphone.

I'll second these comments. I have a pair of DT531s that sound surprisingly good out of an X-Can v3 headphone amp, which is certainly on the bright / lean side and it certainly does equal them out. The DT531's have got quite powerful bass, so add them to a bassy amp and the result might be unsatisfactory.

Nevertheless, I'd say they need more than 30 hours to show their best as well.

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 6
do they sound different from a receiver? did you try different ICs?

i would think that an amp made for the K501 would work fine on it - as it should be high impedance, unless of course it is very high impedance.

and of course, you just may want to sell them outright, because that just may be their basic character. the plain fact is that the DT531 is more of a rock headphone than a classical headphone. so it will probably do trance better than boroque.

you should have no problem selling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back