Beyer DT280-80...Give em Back?
Jan 14, 2004 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

meesha

100+ Head-Fier
So I went shopping for some closed phones, tried the senn 280, no bass. the 7506, too much bass, no mids. Then I bought the the beyer 250-80. Bass is where I like it, nice and tight. But the mids are a bit too much for me, almost too aggressive, it almost feels on the edge of distorting. But out of the three, I like this the best. The problems is, these phones are crushing my head and putting an excessive amount of pressure around my ears.
So the question is, will the mids cool down after a little burn in, and will the phones loosen its vice grip after a little while so I dont have to take an asprin ever time I use em.
Also another one I was looking at was the beyer dt 831. Do you think they will solve my problems? They certainly look alot more comfy.
I need to decide in three days if I want to return them or not.

Thanks, you guys rock!

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 28
If you think the Sennheiser HD280 Pro has 'no bass', then you'll hate the Beyer DT831 as well - it, too, is a bit lean on the bass and is also relatively bright in the treble.

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

So the question is, will the mids cool down after a little burn in, and will the phones loosen its vice grip after a little while so I dont have to take an asprin ever time I use em.

One way to find out....

One mine (DT250-250) I thought they were ungodly uncomfortable when I first got them but after a very short time (<5 hours) they loosened up and I have no problem with em. My impression with the mids when I first got mine was that the mids were a bit overpowering, but after about 48 hours of burn in (just various cd's playing) the mids calmed down a little and the bass, to me anyway came more alive. But what harm could be caused by burning them in a little, if you dont like em, you know what to do. Hope that helps.

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

But what harm could be caused by burning them in a little, if you dont like em, you know what to do.

I hope that's not what the last guy said. The box it came in was a little ratty, no plastic on the phones or nothing and the box was not sealed in anyway, kinda worried they've been around the block. I've heard the soundstage was much bigger on the 831. Is this true? How many returns is too many? I am tempted to return this and try out the 831, then if its not better, then return the 831 and buy the 250 again. But I have to wait for them to get the 831 in stock. i guess I can justify it by saying "Im just burning them in for the next guy".
Oww my head still hurts from these things..

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 28
Mids will calm down a bit after burn-in, but it will never reach a point where the mids and bass are balanced. The mids will always be a bit stronger than the bass, and the treble weaker still.

Jan 14, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 28
The Beyers will become more comfortable with time. They're nice phones -- if you're wedded to the idea of closed cans, I wouldn't recommend selling them and getting something else unless you can first audition the "something else". I used to own the DT250-250 after trying most of the other closed cans (except the Ultrasones) and in the end preferred the Beyers. Another Head-Fier, Tyson, has actually owned all the closed phones at one time or another, including the Ultrasones, and the only ones he kept were the DT250-250.

Jan 14, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 28
meesha: The DT250/80 is indeed quite pronounced in the mids, but also rather recessed in the highs - the DT250/250 is similar in the bass (well, a tad more extended, maybe), less pronouned in the mids, and it brings back the highs. All in all, I say the DT250/250 is much better balanced and sounds more enjoyable, too. I'd only recommend the DT250/80 for voice monitoring - as well as for portable applications without additional amp.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 14, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

I used to own the DT250-250 after trying most of the other closed cans (except the Ultrasones) and in the end preferred the Beyers.

Did you you try out the 831's? If so How do they compare? They seems more comfy. And yeah, a closed headphone is kinda mandatory.

Jan 14, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 28
I didn't consider the 831s because of their reputation of being light in the bass. Just a personal sonic preference there, but it's an important thing for me.

Jan 14, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Another Head-Fier, Tyson, has actually owned all the closed phones at one time or another, including the Ultrasones, and the only ones he kept were the DT250-250.

Couple grains of salt here, though. He owned the DVD Editions.

He also eventually ended up with the HD280's under long-term burn-in. Not only this, but I believe his comments about the DE's were that they sounded 'slurred' which seems rather logical, as they're supposedly deeper, with less extended treble, tuned for DVD movies (obviously). (IIRC, the problem was a slurred sound, which I could not find the thread where he spoke of it again to double check, sorry)

I find my Trackmasters to be anything but slurred. They're crystal clear and have good bass. Sometimes I think they lack a bit of impact, but I do like the relaxed sound of them, it's very musical with the perfect amount of detail.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=trackmaster

being a some-what relevant thread, that I had posted not all too long ago. Just some novice advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 28
I find the DT831 to be less comfortable than the DT250, the DT250 needs a bit of flexing out of the box though to loosen up the clamping force a little, but that's becacuse I'm fairly sure they have a steel headband (under the padding) so simply flexing them outwards a bit does wonders.

The DT831 is heavier and sits in a strange position where they tend to hang more putting pressure just under my ears which is very uncomfortable and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Also, the DT831 sounds nothing like the DT250, the 831 is fairly flat and neutral sounding with very little visceral bass, the DT250 is a much nicer general listening headphone IMHO.

The Ultrasones are worth considering as well, but while they're not as clampy on the head I find the earpads aren't as nice as the Beyer DT250 pads and the sound isn't as .. friendly
smily_headphones1.gif

Burnin will do some good for the DT250, plus giving them a little time is a great way to love them. When I first had the DT250 I also had the 831 at the same time and spent a lot more listening hours with the 831 just thinking "it's a higher model number and costs more, it must be better" but I never really found myself rocking out with the 831, then I gave the DT250 a bit more time and within a couple of days fell in love with it, the fact that it sounds great with a broader range of music helps a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 28
Thanks for your help!
But I think Im returning these phones and getting a modest V6.
Even though I enjoy the sound, (I even like listening to enya when I put these on!) I don't think I can justify the more than double price of the 250's to the v6. Also the plug sticking on the side of my head is annoying me. On another note the mids did seems to cool down after an over night dose of bjork. (or maybe I just got used to the sound?).

If anyone thinks Im making a mistake please say so, Im taking these back tommorrow. And getting the V6 from etronics.

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 28
Get the K271S and have at least a portable amp to drive them, or some HD580s if you dont mind open cans that sound better than the beyers with more relaxed mids.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 15, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 28
Odd. I've not really felt the DT250-80 has an aggressive mid. I've been trying them this time with deliberately harsh-in-the-mids music and I don't think they're harsh. I quite like the mids on this phone... it's an undemanding listen, a sound that doesn't particularly encourage or reward close scrutiny but is generally agreeable.

I noticed with my previous 250-80 that the grip does loosen after a while... after which you get even less isolation, and I fully agree the cable plug is truly the most annoying of any phone I've owned (>50 and counting).

However I have found that the full coverage, comfortable earcups have one excellent use... earmuffs. Rather expensive earmuffs, but really good. I can either use the DT250 as is (fine for background listening or when I have to hear everything around me), or take the super-annoying cable off the 250 and wear the E5 under them in this cold weather. I've unintentionally scratched these up a bit so will probably have to keep them... so I'm going to see if a 250 ohm mod is possible within the cable assembly.

As far as an alternative is concerned, I would suggest giving the Ultrasones a try if at all possible. Snufkin's right about the 'friendliness' of the DT250-80. It's comfortable... but it's also something of an underachiever. And I know this is a trip downwards, but you could also give the Sennheiser PX200 a try. It's not better than the V6 or the DT250-80, but the PX200 has a bit of a DT250-80 overall flavour and yet I've not heard or read anyone saying the PX has an aggressive mid.

Jan 15, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
It's not better than the V6 or the DT250-80, but the PX200 has a bit of a DT250-80 overall flavour and yet I've not heard or read anyone saying the PX has an aggressive mid.

I love my px's and cannot wait to grab a pair of 250's. I'm sure there are many comparisons on the 250 and 80 ohm versions, but would anyone be willing to give me the short and sweet? They will be my computer phones mainly. Oh, and I can handle my 580's out of the klipsch headphone out, if that give you an idea of my ears...

*ducks*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back