Beyer DT250 Recable
Jun 12, 2005 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

elliot

100+ Head-Fier
I don't like the coiled headphone cords, so I am going to recable my Beyer DT250-80s.

These have a special adapter that plugs into the left cup. This adapter is a plastic housing with some pins. It is held together with a screw. You only need to take the screw out to modify this.
Here is a picture.
attachment.php

Interestingly, three of the seven pins are not used. I think these are for microphones on headsets that have microphones.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the two wires without the plastic around them are both grounds. I guess I could splice these together and then to both pins? Does that sound right?

So, I need some cabling, some sleeving, some heat-shrink wrap, and possibly a new plug (unless I can somehow reuse the stock 1/8" plug and screw on 1/4" adapter?). Does this sound right?

I'm not looking for some fancy $60/foot cables, just something nice. Any recommendations? Possibly Cat 5? Or something else inexpensive?

Also, when you get the cable sleeving, how do you know what width you should get?

Thanks everybody

Jun 15, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
you should check the continuity with a meter to make sure which ones are ground.

Excellent recommendation. How Should I go about doing this?
Alternatively, if it would be difficult for me to get my hands on a meter, would just cutting apart the current 1/8" plug and matching the wire colors suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back