Beyer DT250-80, which sound card for this headphone?
Nov 19, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 19
My first post is a reply to your first post
smily_headphones1.gif

I own a Philips Acoustic Edge and overall I am pleased with its performance. I think I bought it for $60 online and there's been a lot of nice things said about it on the net. Check out

digit life

and

3dss

The card is good at 3d gaming with EAX and Qsound support.

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I think a gaming headphone shouldn't need plugging into a headphone amp for it to be effective. To get sufficient volume for those footsteps and rustles to be fully audible I had to plug the DT250-80 into an amplifier to boost the output a bit and even then the spacial effects were off. The 770's would be even worse, a (good) amp is mandatory given their specifications.
The A900 for example will work directly off the speaker out socket on a SB card to sufficiently rumbly levels.

well.. bangraman it isn't really fair to compare them witout amp because the dt770 has the impedance of 250 ohm wherease the AT is all below 50 ohm. Even the w100 can be driven straight out of my slim x very easily. the beyer dt250-80 is even harder to drive.
The AT unique attribute is in its low impedance. It makes anyone who purchase them do not really need an amp. Sony I think has this attribute too.That's what I like about them.

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #19 of 19
If you're getting an amp for the 250-80 something like a Meta42 will do a great job.

If you're considering a more "serious" amp (not that the Meta42 isn't serious) why not consider a higher impedance headphone like the 770pro, or even the DT531 (which doesn't really need an amp in the first place but sounds great with one)?

The only reason I generally recommend the 250-80 above others as a good gaming headphone is that it offers good isolation and is relatively easy to drive direct from a soundcard, the DT531 IMHO sounds better but doesn't offer any isolation and the 770pro requires an amp which usually pushes peoples budgets a little too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back