Beyer DT250-80 vs. D66 Eggos
Mar 15, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 19
The beyers have nice bass and mids with rolled off highs. Easy to listen to. The eggos are bright and overhyped. The pair I heard were only burned in for 8 hours but I don't think they will magically lose their brightness..

Biggie.

Mar 15, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 19
Hopefully Duncan will pick up this thread since my memories of these phones are now dulled by age, but here goes! I found the DT250-80 somewhat impractical in that it needs quite a lot of power before it sounds better than the Eggo, only marginally more sealed than the D66. It also doesn't fold. Sound-wise, Eggos are balanced. It's the 250-80 that's dull when incorrectly amped. (all this depends on your source of course... it really does make a difference) The 250 in similarly low power (even low power amped, such as with a battery powered pocket amp) situations also has a less prominent soundstage than the Eggo.
I would suggest the DT250-80 when you have good power and when your sources are poor (downloaded MP3) where their characteristics can suppress the extraneous 'noise' in MP3, or at least make it less annoying. The Eggos do much better with good sources and even better with a good amp.

Mar 15, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 19
Oops... I feel a little late on this one...

Right... the bad news... they both have (Ultimate... i.e. when compared to full size gear) compromises...

The DT250 bass is snappier, but sounds thin... not punchy, the mids are thick... pretty cool for vocals, but could smother dance music very easily... and the treble is very recessed (although that is good for sibilant tracks)

The D66s... ultimately boxy bass, with a slight emphasis to the midbass area... the midrange is thinner than the DT250s, but to me it is more neutral... easier to get along with... and yes, the treble could be classed as sharp, but only in an a/b between the beyers and the sonys...

In terms of portability, its a one horse race... the Sonys walk all over the Beyers, in both their effeciency, and also their sound quality... much more involving, and that cleaner treble in the sonys means that if you're on the bus or something that outside noises aren't as apparent...

for full sized equipment, the sonys falter a bit with that boxy bass, and the beyers, with more power on tap sound a little better, but they still have a very snappy, yet light bass when compared to the Sonys... and whilst the midrange is forgiving, or maybe even enticing for female vocals... that lack of treble is ultimately aggrevating...

but as i said at the top... this is when both are compared to the Sony CD1700 / Philips HP890 which are both a lot bigger, and have more capacity to enthrall you with their sound...

Both the beyers and the D66s are pretty good at what they each do best... Sonys for portable (they're still in my top 3 of all time favourite portable 'phones) and the Beyers... for soft female vocals...

If you have a particular taste in music... use a particular source (PC / PCDP / full setup) let me know, and i'll try to compare on a setup similar to your own for a more authorative comparison

Thanks

Duncan

Mar 15, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 19
thanks bangraman and duncan. i plan to go amp-less through my laptop and pcdp. i listen to music in this order, electronica (massive attack), hip hop (nas), mellow (kings of convenience). My past experience with cans include grado sr-80's, sennheiser hd280's and sony v700 dj's. I felt that the first two did not have enough bass and preferred the exaggerated bass of the v700's. i hope this helps.

thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 19
Williamgoody...

I'll come back to that later... I'm still madly reinstalling everything on my computer after a little incident last night when it all went wrong... (Oops)

RoninDiesel...

Don't let anyone tell you that Audio Technica cans are the way to go... they definetly don't have the bass that you're after (even with the 'DADS' system)...

The D66 would get my nod.. but they definetly don't have the ooomph of the V700s... for that you're looking at Beyer DT770s... and they have even worse impedance for portable than the DT250s do... a complete mismatch unamped
eek.gif

The good thing about the D66s though ~ they're EQ'able... I don't know quite how far i'd wanna push the bass out of them though... if not, then you're stuck with the likes of an EQ'd EX70, which... if EQ'd in the right way doesn't actually sound THAT bad...

Mar 15, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 19
It's all on the amping. The DT250 sounds chopped off in the treble with anything but it's very listenable when amped properly. Not a huge bass, but a good amount and it does get better the more power you feed it (up to a certain point). To me however, they still sounded compacted... right word?
The Eggos definitely have a portable bias and aren't the best choice as home phones but it is surprising how well they do pair with home-bound equipment given their small size.
Without an amp out of something fairly limited, I'm not sure what else would give the bass of the V700 apart from the HD212 (yuck). The MDR-7506 is good for a much tighter bass but in the same story as the DT250 (although the 7506 is slightly more efficient sounding) you won't get optimum bass out of limited power. All in all, I would probably side with Duncan. D66 it is, although you may also like to have a think about a V6/7506.

Mar 15, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 19
I have to wonder what you guys are hearing. The eggos I heard had a sound balance leaning towards the senn 280's but with a bit more bass. The sound is bright and disapointing, not realistic at all. Does "burn in" rid them of this quality?

Biggie.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
HD280 have no bass?
I wonder what YOU are listening to...

These are the headphones I've heard that produce more bass then the senns and sound imo much better:

stax omegas
grado rs-1
grado hp-2's
beyer 250-80
jvc ha-990
denon 750's
koss ksc-35's
koss r-80's

I find the ksc-35's a bit bass heavy but the others I listed I beleive have better quantitative bass then the senn 280's. Even the midrange and high's do not sound right on the senns.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back